AGS Awards 2019 - Awards are over, see you next year!

Started by cat, Mon 06/01/2020 20:16:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

I'll be there. Barring some catastrophe, I suppose, which these days feels like a necessary caveat.

Incidentally, we have a build of the awards client that could be used for the ceremony in a pinch, but there are a few more little things I'd like to tweak and fix. The official version should be released late Thursday or early Friday.

cat

Snarky

You can now download the client for the AGS Awards ceremony:

v5.0.40

Windows (.zip) â€" 253 MB [mirror]
MacOS (.zip) â€" 261 MB [mirror]
Linux (.tar.gz) â€" 261 MB [mirror]

Note on Mac client:
Because the Mac build was made without an Apple developer license, you may get a security alert when you try to run it, and it may refuse to run. In order to get around this, instead of double-clicking the file, right-click (Ctrl-click) and choose "Open" from the menu.

Note on Linux client:
The client is built with AGS 3.4.3, which has a dependency on libpng12.so.0. See the GitHub issue tracker for fix. (Edit: The download has now been repackaged with the library included.)

As before, the Mac and Linux versions do not have clipboard support (copy-paste from outside the app).

Cassiebsg

Thank you! :D

Downloading and will test it right away. Will have a test run this year? Or we just hope all works fine?  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Kastchey

The test run is on now, feel free to join if you like!

vga256

@Cat - Happy to stream on twitch from my machine.

Kastchey

Awesome, please do that. Thank you so much!

Snarky

Once again, a guide to using the awards client:

Basic Use
You chat by typing and walk around by left-clicking. However, because the IRC channel we use to communicate these actions has limited bandwidth, walking is throttled â€" after you click to walk, it is disabled for a short periodâ€"notice that the cursor is grayed out. Just wait a second and you'll be able to click again.

You can also turn to face different directions by right-clicking:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/EB85WUX.gif[/imgzoom]
If your avatar supports it, you can perform an avatar-specific "special action" by pressing the "Special Action" button:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/DNUU1xG.gif[/imgzoom]
To see whether the avatar supports animated speech or a special action, look at the little letters to their bottom right on the avatar selection screen:

"T" means the avatar has an animated speech view, "X" that it supports a special action. Also note that the special action can vary depending on which direction the character is facing, and in some cases it might not play at all unless you're facing a particular way. You'll have to experiment.

Chat, Menus and Buttons
It should all be pretty self-explanatory. Some buttons are grayed out because the feature is planned but not yet implemented. Note the button in the bottom right which shows/hides the chat log.

Note that if you select someone in the participant list on the left, the little floating "halo" or dot that usually follows you will be placed above their head instead. This can be a handy way to find someone in the crowd.

Also note that you can use the mouse scrollwheel (or equivalent touchpad gesture) to scroll up and down in the chat log. You can use Ctrl-Z/Y to undo/redo text entry, and on Windows you can use Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V to cut, copy and paste from the system clipboard.

Selecting Avatars
In the avatar selection screen (when you create your profile or click on the "Select avatar" button in the top menu), you can click the buttons along the top to see avatars from AGS games, LucasArts games, other games, or "Special…" (password-protected) avatars.

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/ZhhLVDf.png[/imgzoom]

Click the arrows on the left and right to see even more avatars.

Special Commands
You can access some additional features by typing commands that start with slash (some of these are standard IRC commands, others client-specific):

/me <action>
Show the text as an action. /me wipes a tear from his eye will be displayed as: "*Snarky wipes a tear from his eye"

/nick <nickname>
Change your nickname to that name (if permitted)

/claptoggle
Toggle the sound of applause on/off (if you turn it off, any current applause will still finish playing, though)

/find <participant nick>
Place the character "halo" above the participant you choose (same as clicking them in the participant list).

/stop
Remove the character "halo" (from yourself or anybody). Click in the participant list or use /find to get it back.

/avatars
Access the avatar selection screen. (Same as clicking the "Set Avatar" button.)

/colors
Access the text color selection screen. (Same as clicking the "Set Speech Color" button.)

/quit
Instantly quit without any confirmation! (Same as clicking the "Quit" button.)

How do I Get on Stage, up onto the Balcony, or elsewhere?
The hosts control who gets to be on stage, as hosts, presenters, or winners accepting awards. There are also some "NPC" characters that appear on stage or elsewhere.

The balcony is for people who connect through IRC text chat. They appear as "holograms": they can speak, but not move on their own. If they get called on to present or accept an award, they'll automatically walk up to the lectern.

Using a Registered Nickname
When you first create your profile and get to picking your nickname, there's a "NickServ Password" field. This is for IRC users who already have a registered nick/password. If you don't have a password set up, leave this field blank.

If you fail to connect, you pretty much have to quit out of the program, fix whatever the problem is, and try again. If you set the wrong NickServ password, for example, you'll have to create a new profile when you restart, not use the existing one (which will then be overwritten).

The client is slow!
Yes, AGS was never meant for something like this, and there's a lot going on in the client. It's pretty resource intensive! One thing that slows it down a lot is the semi-transparent menus, so if it's running slow, try turning off all menus, including the chat log. (If you do want to see the chat log, you can exploit a bug: turn off the chat log, then open one of the menu screens (set avatar or speech color) and return. The text will now appear, but without the background.)

You can also try changing some of the settings in winsetup.exe: make sure you're running in Direct3D or OpenGL if possible, and the sprite cache size is set to max. The client often runs better in a window than in fullscreen. Other than that, just make sure your computer isn't running other apps that use a low of CPU.

You may also notice people teleporting or "warping" around. This can either be because there's too much IRC traffic (with lots of people walking around at the same time), or often because your framerate is too low for the game to keep up. We're really pushing the limits here!

It crashed!
I really hope this won't happen, but there's always a chance of a crash. At least on Mac (not sure about Linux), the application will just quit without any error message or warning.

If you do get a crash message, please copy it down (text or screenshot) and report it so it can be fixed in the future. The same goes for any other glitches or bugs you might experience: the hosts will be quite busy during the show, so if you just mention it in the chat there's a high risk we'll miss it or forget about it.

Stupot

Have fun everyone. And good luck to the nominees. Sorry I can’t join in tonight.

cat

Quote from: vga256 on Fri 03/04/2020 21:57:05
@Cat - Happy to stream on twitch from my machine.

Awesome, thanks a lot! If you post a link here, me or Snarky can link the stream it in the first post.

@Snarky: Thanks for updating the first post. I just wanted to do it and realized you already did it!

@presenters: I will PM you soon with details.

milkanannan

Drowning in work (from home...on a Saturday night, ugh I hate my life :~() Wishing everyone a great time! :=

Cino

I streamed it last year, so I figured I might as well do it again. Will be at https://www.twitch.tv/tulevikeu

milkanannan

Quote from: Cino on Sat 04/04/2020 15:39:05
I streamed it last year, so I figured I might as well do it again. Will be at https://www.twitch.tv/tulevikeu

Thanks!

cat

Thanks! I've updated the first post.

Mandle

I'll have to watch this later... Can't stay up until, or wake up at, 3AM tonight. Best of luck to all entrants!

cat

For everyone confused with time zones:

The ceremony will start in one hour. Download the client and get ready!

cat

A few infos for this evening:

You have three options for joining the ceremony (more info in the first post)

• via special awards client (best option)
  • via irc client
  • by watch the live stream
During the ceremony, the channel is moderated and will be muted from time to time. You can still talk and this will be shown in the client above the character, but it will not show up in the chat log.
You can join #ags on the same server for chit-chatting during the whole ceremony.

cat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk