AGS Awards 2019 - Awards are over, see you next year!

Started by cat, Mon 06/01/2020 20:16:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

Congratulations to all winners and nominees.

Wish I could have been there this year, but I'll be sure to watch the video later.

Monsieur OUXX

May I suggest that you put the recorded video in the very first post?

cat

Tabata

I was able to watch the ceremony on video - thanks for the upload!
Congratulation to all the nominated and awarded game developer!
Creating and  hosting this whole ceremony was a wonderful job done  by a lot of members. Group hug to all of you! 
Especially that heartwarming commemoration for Ghost with all those little sweet ram ghosts, lots of images and the speech from bicci moved me to tears.
Can't thank you all enough for that really touching part of the ceremony.
Take care, folks!

cat

I completely forgot to mention in this thread the results of MAGGIES and the committee awards.

MAGGIES
A Christmas Nightmare by Alan v.Drake (with Thrymly Disguised and Escape Literature as runner-ups)

Best Innovation Award
densming - For his many video tutorials, that taught a lot of people how to make games in AGS.

Lifetime Achievement Award
CaptainD - For creating many fun games and helping other developers make their own.

Congratulations!

densming

Quote from: cat on Mon 06/04/2020 20:05:46
Best Innovation Award
densming - For his many video tutorials, that taught a lot of people how to make games in AGS.

Wow!  I had no idea I was honored with this award!  Thank you to everyone who has enjoyed the videos over the years.  Back in 2009 2008 when I started making them, I thought it would be a fun thing to do, mainly to help myself learn AGS a little more. I never imagined that so many people would watch the videos and learn about creating adventure games with AGS.  Although I haven't been creating videos in quite and while, and not active on the AGS forums, I still pop in every so often and see what has changed and how the AGS community is getting on.  It's wonderful to me that AGS is still very much alive and thriving! Keep making adventure games!!

Thank you so much for the award.  It really does mean a lot to me.

-densming

Edit: I had to go back and look - it was actually 2008 when I uploaded the first tutorial video!

Snarky

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 05/04/2020 10:29:17

I have not found any reason why there would be a problem with more than 45 participants (or any other number less than the set limit of 90). Though IRC has a limit of 512 bytes per message, which means that things like the participant list will have to be split up into multiple messages when it goes above that length (which might happen at around that number of participants, depending on the length of people's nicks). Looking at the IRC-parsing code by Wyz, it seems like it should handle all of that, however.

Just thought I'd let you know that after testing with many participants in the same chat channel, I have been able to confirm that this is in fact the problem, and the cause of most (if not all) of the crashes we experienced during the ceremony. When the participant list grows long, it's split across multiple messages. The IRC module stitches the messages together, but in such a way that last name in the first message and first name in the second are separated by two spaces instead of one. When this list is then in turn parsed into an array, we end up with an entry that is an empty string, and trying to process this blank username causes the client to crash.

All the code involved in the bug has been unchanged since 2010, but the reason why we had never caught it is that I never found a way to live-test the client with 40+ participants. By taking a different approach this should now be possible, so hopefully it's the last time we hit this limit.

Kastchey

Wow. GJ pinning this one down, Snarky! Otherwise I'd probably lose some sleep over this in 2021 before the ceremony ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk