Background Blitz: Temple - RESULTS

Started by lorenzo, Tue 07/01/2020 22:03:48

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

TEMPLE

Spoiler
Temple of Ramesses II; Pantheon, Rome; Temple of Kukulcan.
[close]

Your job is to create a background that features a temple. It can be of any religion (either real or made up) or time period (in the past, present or future -- even a ruin!). As long as it's recognizable as a temple.

Deadline: 22th January 2020.

Voting:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?

Good luck! :cheesy:

--

Entries:
Spoiler

DBoyWheeler

jwalt

Racoon

Jack

[close]

Results:

• 1st place: Jack
  • 2nd place: jwalt
  • 3rd place: Racoon

DBoyWheeler

I guess I got the first entry here.

So here's a simple yet spooky temple to a long forgotten death god.  Or something.

Er... yeah.

lorenzo

Nice entry, DBoyWheeler! I imagine it would look pretty cool with the animated flames casting their light on the columns.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: lorenzo on Mon 13/01/2020 14:35:10
Nice entry, DBoyWheeler! I imagine it would look pretty cool with the animated flames casting their light on the columns.

I was considering animating the flames, but then decided it might take longer than I would've liked.

jwalt

Googled churches and blundered upon Stave Churches. Made an attempt at one as a background:

Off the forum, CassieBSG made a number of constructive suggestions. I implemented a number of them, but not all of them. Any faults here are mine. It's modeled in Anim8or, and rendered in Bryce.

Edit: Playing with the fog in Bryce and created this image:

The fog would generate problems in a game, but I thought the image worth passing along.

DBoyWheeler

@jwalt Man... I could so see zombies rising up a la King's Quest IV in this setting... especially if it's at night.

Cassiebsg

I like both (though still not sold on the green gutter  :P)
Why would it cause problems? It's just begging for a second screen after going by that porch and getting more details on the buildings.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

lorenzo

jwalt: I want to explore that church and its surroundings! And the fog adds so much mystery to the place.

Stupot

The foggy version is definitely my favorite. It reminds me of Silent Hill.

lorenzo

Only a week left!

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 14/01/2020 12:40:56
The foggy version is definitely my favorite. It reminds me of Silent Hill.
Me too! It reminds me of Silent Hill 2 cemetery, near the start of the game.

Racoon

Here is my attempt at a hidden forrest temple:

lorenzo

I like your entry, Racoon!
It has all the elements for an adventure! A mysterious temple in the jungle, an animal that (I imagine) is somehow connected to the temple, a clear entrance and walkable areas, several puzzles possibilities... Really nice!

cat

Oh, this temple reminds me of when we built stuff out of sugar cubes as kids. Nice colors and composition!

lorenzo

Great background, Jack! Fantastic colours and lightning. I love those green/blue-ish shadows on the dunes.
And I want to explore that temple!

Jack

Thanks, both.

I see some changes I'd like to make now, but overall it came out quite nice.

DBoyWheeler

@Jack Cool!  Makes me think of that desert world from Super Mario 64.  And that might be a good thing.

Racoon

And my first thought was trat it reminded me so much of the game "journey" :-D

lorenzo

VOTING!

Entries

DBoyWheeler

jwalt

Racoon

Jack

Voting categories:

• Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
  • Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
  • Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?

Voting ends on the 28th of January 2020.

--

jwalt: I put the first entry you submitted for voting. Let me know if you want it changed!

Jack

Concept: Racoon
Playability: jwalt
Artistic Execution: Racoon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk