AGS Awards - Suggestions for committee awards

Started by Snarky, Wed 08/01/2020 19:01:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

This is a bit outside the usual (since it's handled by a secret jury rather than open nominations and vote), but I'd like to bring suggestions for the juried categories:

Best Innovation: Dualnames

When I won it last year, in large part for the AGS Awards client, I was shocked to discover that Dualnames had not got the award years ago (although he did work on Colourwise, which was the basis for bicilotti's win in 2008). He did most of the work on the original client and maintained it for years, and has made many other contributions besides. He deserves this award.

Lifetime Achievement: densming

For making the popular AGS YouTube tutorials, which have taught so many people how to code in AGS. Enough said!

cat

Great idea!

I will add two more suggestions for Lifetime Achievement:

Mandle

He is always active on the forums and keeping them alive. He started several popular forum games in the Rumpus Room. He joins what feels like every second MAGS and always with very creative ideas. He also worked successfully on a few larger commercial projects.

(No avatar ATM)
CaptainD

A member of the forum since what feels forever. He has an incredibly long list of games he worked on. He is a team player and willing to help out other developers with testing, voice acting, writing or whatever is needed. He is a maker and hands-on guy and manages to spread his positive attitude very well.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 08/01/2020 19:01:54

For making the popular AGS YouTube tutorials, which have taught so many people how to code in AGS. Enough said!

Oops, I suggested densming in PM last year, but too late. I also resent this suggestion recently, before noticing this post. Not sure how this works, but if possible, I'd like to second this.

densming

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 08/01/2020 19:01:54

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 12/01/2020 03:58:21
Oops, I suggested densming in PM last year, but too late. I also resent this suggestion recently, before noticing this post. Not sure how this works, but if possible, I'd like to second this.

Wow, thanks guys.  I'm honored, even to be recommended for an award.

Snarky

Retro Wolf

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=10519
Shadow1000 is not a developer but seems to play every game and posts lots of reviews. EDIT: Oops realised you were talking about ceremony just gone!

Snarky

For the avoidance of confusion: densming, you won the Best Innovation award. Congratulations! You can watch the category announcement here:

https://youtu.be/JJHKBibt4nM
(starting at 1:14:30)

densming

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 06/04/2020 20:35:09
For the avoidance of confusion: densming, you won the Best Innovation award. Congratulations! You can watch the category announcement here:

This is so awesome! Thanks Snarky!  I really appreciate this.  I mentioned it over on the other AGS awards 2019 thread, but I am truly honored that so many people still enjoy my videos and have learned from them!  I wish I could have been a part of the ceremony, that looks really cool.

cat

I thought we could reuse this thread for this year as well. Old suggestions might still be relevant.

Best Innovation: eri0o
For making it possible to play AGS Games via browser

Lifetime achievement: Shadow1000
Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sun 05/04/2020 22:02:30
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=10519
Shadow1000 is not a developer but seems to play every game and posts lots of reviews.

Snarky

Somehow, bicilotti has never received the Lifetime Achievement award. This oversight should be corrected.

spartikMax

I agree with you. They deserve a million awards.
Best online games - Cosmolot - http://deathmask.kiev.ua/

heltenjon

It's time to bump this thread up again for this year. In addition to the excellent suggestions for the committee awards above, which can certainly be reused, I'd like to suggest another game from the relatively close past for the Best Innovation award.

The committee will have to do their own choices, of course, but in case they are not familiar with Pedro's Adventures in Spanish, I'd like to make the suggestion that this game be considered for the innovation award. The game succeeds in both being a good and entertaining adventure game in its own right, and a language learning utility. The developers explain a bit about it in the videos on the database page, but to sum it up, the game uses easy-language Spanish, ideal for beginners. Every item and verb is pronounced (may be toggled off) when moused over, giving the player a good indication of both spelling and pronounciation. The game tasks/puzzles start out with introducing names of food and drink, which are necessary to keep up the health bars. This repetition is exactly how words are internalized, except it's done in a game, not in a classroom. Later on, every island the player travels to have different linguistic challenges. In one of them, the focus is on understanding dialogue and descriptions in order to solve the puzzles, for instance.

I was able to play through the game without knowing much Spanish when I started. I think the game deserves to be considered for this award because it successfully merges linguistic learning theory with fun game design. It never feels like a "school program", and all the learning theory is kind of behind the scenes, not getting in the way of the experience.

Edit: Some links:

https://rocketboygames.com/
At the Rocketboy Games home page you'll be able to see the videos featuring the French and English versions as well as the Spanish one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk