MAGGIES 2019 (your two cents)

Started by Stupot, Sun 12/01/2020 03:41:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

It's nearly time to vote for the best MAGS game of 2019.

In the past couple of years we've voted using a Google Form, giving different point values to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Did anyone have any issues with that particular set-up?

It might be simpler to just choose your top three in no particular order and give equal points for each vote.

Simpler than that would be to just choose your one favourite game, but there are 12 to choose from so it makes more sense to give everyone multiple votes.

So, two questions really:
How many votes should each voter get?
Should each vote be placed giving different point values or should all votes get the same value (likely 1 point)?

Bonus Question:
Any other suggestions?

I'll close this thread in a few days before starting the voting.

cat

I think three votes is better than one. There are so many good games and decision is already hard enough.
Regarding point values, I think both is fine.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

fernewelten

In what way is the current system "broken"?

• Too difficult or much hassle totalling the votes?
  • Too difficult or too much hassle to cast the votes?
  • Too difficult or too much hassle managing the ballots?
  • Doesn't scale and the vote is becoming increasingly popular?
  • …

fernewelten

If this board can do a "multiple choice, multiple answers" poll, then this might be the easiest solution: Each registered user gets one ballot, and on that ballot, they can tick as many games as they like. So if you tick _every_ game on your ballot, then you make all games get equally ahead and this is tantamount to not voting at all. Basically, the more games you tick on your ballot, the more you "dilute" your vote.

The advantage would be that the board does all the work. The disadvantage would be that the individual tallies of the individual games don't mean anything by themselves; they only show in relation to each other which games are the most popular. 

Stupot

The forum poll does allow a maximum number of votes per voter (I think). Another disadvantage of using the forum poll, though, is that there's no option to hide the result once the voting period is over. That's not necessarily bad but we like to announce the result during the AGS awards so using a Google poll avoids the result being spoiled.

fernewelten

By the bye: The MAGGIES 2018 winner (Tales from the Outer Zone: Cyborg Seppuku)  isn't in the Hall of Fame yet.

Kastchey

Three votes per person works fine for maggies, I think.

As for the vote values, well, different values lowers the chance for ties. If that's a good thing?

Cassiebsg

Yes, then again, ranking them does seem better, since it's not the one with more votes but the one with more points.

Let's say that 10 people voted the same game as their third choice. The same 10 people have some different 1st and 2nd favorites (they can have some 1st and 2nd choices that match, but the others all end up getting 9 or less votes each (like someone didn't vote for them selfs and thus choose another game)... The game all choose as 3rd wins, if it's the amount of points = amount of votes.

Danvzare

Honestly, I like the three votes thing.
But as for ranking them... I don't know if that makes it more or less fair.

Let's say there's six games and two voters.
Voter One chooses Game1, Game2, and Game3.
Voter Two chooses Game4, Game5, and Game3.
In a rank based system, Game1 and Game4 are tied for first place, Game2 and Game5 are tied for second place, and Game3 gets third place. This seems unfair.
In a equal based system, Game 3 gets first place, and the rest are tied for second. This seems fair.

On the other hand, let's say there's six games and three voters.
Voter Three chooses Game2, Game6, and Game3.
In a rank based system, Game1, Game2, and Game4 are tied for first place, Game3 gets second place, and Game5 and Game6 are tied for third place. This seems fair.
In a equal based system, Game3 gets first place, Game2 gets second place, and the rest are tied for third. This also seems fair.

I feel as though someone much smarter than me has already considered all of this, and has written a thesis about which voting system is the best overall, and how many points should be allocated, ect. But I'm not that person, and as such, I have no idea which is better.  :-\

Kastchey

Yes, depending on the situation, each vote counting method can be viewed as "fair" or "unfair" which is why I just said that different values reduce chances for a tie.

Cassiebsg

Actually Danzare, you missed on your calculations

Situation 1:
Game1 = 3 points
Game3 = 2 points
Game4 = 3 points
Game5 = 2 points

1st place = Game 3 & 4 tied
2nd Place = Game 2 (same points as game 5, but more ppl voted for it)
3rd Place = Game 5

Situation 2:
Voter Three chooses Game2, Game6, and Game3.

Game 1 = 3 points
Game 2 = 3+2 points (2 votes) = 5
Game 3 = 1+1+1 points (3 votes) = 3
Game 4 = 3 points
Game 5 = 2 points
Game 6 = 2 points

1st place = Game 2
2nd place = Game 3 (3 ppl)
3rd place = Game 1 & 4 tied

Of course, whatever method we go with, it works best the more people vote.  ;)

Stupot

Quote from: Cassiebsg
Of course, whatever method we go with, it works best the more people vote.  ;)

I guess this is the main thing isn't it? Maybe getting rid of the ranking will mean one less thing to worry think about and could result in a few more voters.

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 13/01/2020 23:02:56
Actually Danzare, you missed on your calculations
Yep, I realized that last night, just as I was drifting off to sleep.  :-[
Thanks for pointing it out.

Stupot

Cool. We're almost good to go with the voting then. Just waiting for December's voting to finish and then I'll post a new thread with a link to the Google Form.

We're gonna try just choosing three unranked options. For MAGGIES 2017 we had 22 voters. For 2018 we only had 14. I'm hoping we can at least match, if not exceed, the number of voters of two years ago.

Cassiebsg

Let's hope so, it's always a shame when the few decide for the many.

Ponch

Damn the math theorists! What has math done for humanity! Nothing good, surely! (I'm 5/3 certain of this!) I say three votes!  :=

Stupot

I'm looking for volunteers.

Ideally everyone who votes should have played, or at least sampled, all of the games before voting. But I understand that this is not always going to be easy for most people. And I don't want to scare away potential voters by making anyone feel that they can't vote because they didn't play all the games.

To that end, I'm looking for people to make Let's Play videos of all of the MAGGIES entries that I can attach to the voting thread. I already have four of them (thanks to Selmiak).

If you fancy having a go, or if indeed you have already made such a video, please contact me via PM.

Cheers

Games that we need videos of:
Spoiler

Space Cross: The BSG-Team
Hydrate
Cave of Avarice
Hopping Homeward

Thrymly Disguised
TRAVELERS (prototype)
Mamma Mia
Mr Bear Teaches English
Escape Literature
Desmond: The 'Thing' from Another World
Jake's Very Last Journey
?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??
[close]

Stupot

Thanks for your input everyone. The official MAGGIES voting thread is now open.

This thread can be locked to avoid confusion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk