SOLVED: Opening an ac2game.dta file from... (wait for it)... 2006

Started by Nellie, Tue 28/01/2020 15:31:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Nellie

Hello folks,

So, I abandoned progress on my game in 2006, but now I have a sprog who is sort of interested in seeing the game that Daddy tried to make once. As am I. The current AGS Editor, naturally, spat out my neanderthal ac2game.dta file.

I wish to know, O Wise Sages of Know-How:

1. Is there an AGS Editor archive that goes back further than 3.0?
2. If so, which stepping-stone versions do I require to update the file to a format the spangly current version can read?
3. Do the current-generation forum membership even know what this := represents??

Thanks for your kind attentions, and for not wiping my old user account for some reason!

Cheers,
Nellie.

eri0o

I am not sure since this is beyond my time, but I think this is a compiled game format. Have you tried running it with the current Engine? Just get the newest Editor, and copy it's  ACWIN.exe and paste it in the directory that your game .dta file is and run ACWIN.exe to see if it finds and runs your game.

Nellie

The editor recognises the file and begins the Import Old Game Wizard, but can't progress as "this game is from an unsupported version of AGS, This editor can only import games saved with AGS 2.72". When opening the file, the filetype selection box lists .agf files (for AGS 3.0+ games) or .dta files (for AGS 2.72 games). My file predates 2.72, but I don't know what AGS release was current in 2006!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Nellie on Tue 28/01/2020 17:26:59
The editor recognises the file and begins the Import Old Game Wizard, but can't progress as "this game is from an unsupported version of AGS, This editor can only import games saved with AGS 2.72". When opening the file, the filetype selection box lists .agf files (for AGS 3.0+ games) or .dta files (for AGS 2.72 games). My file predates 2.72, but I don't know what AGS release was current in 2006!

Which version of AGS do you use now? If I remember right, latest AGS should be able to open some  of the pre-2.72 data too. Although an error message may not be corrected and misleading.

Crimson Wizard

You can download all AGS editors using this torrent: https://www.agsarchives.com/agsarchives.torrent

Editors are inside either "engine" or "editor" subfolder (don't remember this by heart).

Nellie

Great, thank you!

Edit: Okay, got it working now. Thanks again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk