Background Blitz: Scale

Started by Jack, Fri 31/01/2020 23:08:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

SCALE

Make a background that brings across a feeling of unusual scale. Go microscopic, go big, or get creative, like applying the scale to your style as lots of detail, or very little.

Deadline: 20 February 2020.
Voting closes: 28 February 2020.
Results announced

Voting:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?

Entries:

jwalt:

Racoon:

lorenzo:

stylez75:
[imgzoom]https://i.postimg.cc/pXw35VjL/Simms-Upload.jpg[/imgzoom]

blur:

Results:

1st Place: Racoon
2nd Place: lorenzo
3rd Place: stylez75

Trophies:

jwalt

Edit 1: After posting an initial image, I realized I had a smoothing problem with the plane. Fixed it. Try this one:

Original below:

Had a free Saturday to mess with this. Found a picture of a vehicle scale at a Kansas landfill. Also, to work in another play on the scale topic, I dumped a pedal airplane on the "flight deck."

Probably not going to work any more on this. I might try to figure out an odd coloration near one of the arms to the scale pad, the center one. Green color bleeding all over the place around the thing. Found out it was the Bryce texture I used. May play with other textures, if I can find time.

Modeled in Anim8or, and rendered in Bryce.

Edit 2:

Got to thinking you folks might like to see the photo I was working from:

https://www.chanute.org/ImageRepository/Document?documentID=5472

lorenzo

A very interesting theme, although not the easiest. Hopefully, I'll get a good idea for a background!

Racoon

cat

Racoon

Thanks! I am really happy how my entry turned out this time too :)
Jwalt you did a good job on the countryhouse and plane too. Building in 3D is something that I really admire, because it seems so complicated to me.

Jack

Cool entries so far.

Quote from: jwalt on Sun 02/02/2020 00:46:02Bryce

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. It was so easy to make geological backgrounds with it, but I could never make anything more out of them.

blur

I have a problem with the subject of this competition, as all my petty ideas so far involved animate objects to transport the sense of scale, like animals or persons which obviously should not be part of the background scenery.
To add to this in the inspirational images in the first post I can only mostly see unidentifyable coloured blobs and the second image also depicts human beings.  Hrmph :-\

Jack

7 days left to make something fantastic. ;)

Quote from: blur on Wed 12/02/2020 11:29:56
I have a problem with the subject of this competition, as all my petty ideas so far involved animate objects to transport the sense of scale, like animals or persons which obviously should not be part of the background scenery.

I used to do this same thing. It's a skill all its own to make a background speak for itself.

This theme doesn't have to be about something strange. I see a small hut standing in front of the big wide ocean.

Racoon

Hey blur, I am looking forward to your entry :) If you need some ideas you could describe what kind of scene you want to draw and maybe we can help out. I personally would also not mind if you add people or animals (I´ve been guilty of both, lol), since it gives a better feeling about how the game would look like.

lorenzo

My entry:

I actually started drawing an entirely different entry, but I decided to scrap it because there wasn't much to look at outside of the characters. I left it unfinished, but I think it fits the theme:
Spoiler
[close]

TheManInBoots

Wow, lorenzo, did you draw that yourself?

Matti

stylez75

For what it's worth.. Here is mine.

[imgzoom]https://i.postimg.cc/pXw35VjL/Simms-Upload.jpg[/imgzoom]

Jack

Great, lorenzo, as usual. :D

Quote from: stylez75 on Sun 16/02/2020 18:41:55
For what it's worth.. Here is mine.

Is it very small? Would fit the theme ;)

Edit: Ah, I see it now. Very nice. Reminds me of Space Quest.

lorenzo

Thanks, everybody! :cheesy:

Quote from: TheManInBoots on Sun 16/02/2020 16:28:59
Wow, lorenzo, did you draw that yourself?
Yes :) Well, most shapes are boxes, so it wasn't too complicated. (laugh)
Also, I looked at reference photos of medieval towns for the buildings.

--

I can see stylez75's background now! Cool setting, it reminds me of the first Space Quest!

Jack

The deadline has passed, and the entries have been added to the first post. Voting can now begin.

If someone is still working on something, it can still be added to the list. But sooner is better than later.

blur

Jack

blur

Concept: stylez75.
Playability: Racoon.
Artistic Execution: Lorenzo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk