MAGS February "Frozen World" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sat 01/02/2020 13:22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS February?

Frozen Kingdom
2 (15.4%)
The Frozen Shore
10 (76.9%)
Unfreeze
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Tue 17/03/2020 15:26:16

Stupot

Topic: A Frozen World
Chosen by Alan v. Drake

Voting is open. Please vote using the poll above.

Frozen Kingdom
by Slasher
The Frozen Shore
by JackPutter
Unfreeze
by TheManInBoots, PlayPretend and Cassiebsg

A curse was cast, the heroes failed, or a cataclysm happened. For some reason the whole world was frozen.
Make a game where the protagonist works to put an end to the everlasting winter.

You may use existing artwork to make your game.

Deadline: Feb 28th

Need a little help? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.

Slasher

Awww......... I can feel the cold  (laugh)

Thinking cap on  (laugh)

Stupot

VampireWombat

Hmm. Maybe. I'll see if I can think of a good idea that can use re-existing assets to some degree...

Slasher

I feel a a fairytale coming on  (laugh)

The Queen, the Sorceress, Loki, the stone tablet and our hero  (laugh)

The mind boggles  (laugh)

VampireWombat

Hmm. Fairytale does give me an idea.
I could go a route closer to the Shannara Chronicles than standard post apocalyptic stuff.
A top-down post apocalyptic fantasy with a bit of some kind of punk thrown in it is.

Crimson Wizard

Hopefully, not considered offtopic, I'll leave this here for inspiration :):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl7Sl-7hdXg

Slasher

"Centuries ago there once lived a sorceress named Ballima who was good queen Fallona's evil twin sister. Ballima was jealous that her sister Fallona was made queen instead of her and so she locked herself away in a snow cave high up in the mountains enraged with burning hatred."

"For six years she had tried to destroy the queens' kingdom with magic but she had failed. She had long searched for a greater magical power and had, at long last aquired a stone tablet from a travelling gypsy who claimed it had mystical powers. The inscription on the tablet was said to conjure up Loki, the god of mayhem and mischief."

"After several months Ballima began to understand the meaning of the stone tablets' inscription and set about conjuring up Loki so she could wreck havoc on the queens' kingdom."

WHAM

Damn I love this theme, but sadly lack the time to develop something right now. Looking forward to see what others make, though!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Stupot

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 05/02/2020 12:12:06
Damn I love this theme, but sadly lack the time to develop something right now. Looking forward to see what others make, though!
maybe you could team up with someone and split the Labour :-)

TheManInBoots

Interesting, not a long time ago I came up with an original idea for a game that takes place in deadly freezing coldness. Even before I read this thread.

But creating it before the end of the month?? Ugh..

I definitely would not have the time draw the graphics myself this fast.
Does anyone know good links with existing art work and sprites I could use for the game (characters, items, background)?

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 03/02/2020 13:46:14
Hopefully, not considered offtopic, I'll leave this here for inspiration :):
I find it inspiring. Would it be possible to use the music for the game without copystrike?

Cassiebsg

I could be game to do game art if you want help in that department. I do 3D, so no pixel art though. Pm me if you want to team up.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: TheManInBoots on Wed 05/02/2020 13:26:18
I find it inspiring. Would it be possible to use the music for the game without copystrike?

I doubt it, it's from commercial game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/966350/Frostpunk_Original_Soundtrack/

so probably requires permission.

Stupot

@Themaninboots, try the link at the bottom of the first post. That might have something you can use.

VampireWombat

Quote from: TheManInBoots on Wed 05/02/2020 13:26:18
Does anyone know good links with existing art work and sprites I could use for the game (characters, items, background)?
Both Itch.io and Open Game Art have a decent amount of stuff you can use. It's just a matter of finding stuff that fits your game.

TheManInBoots

Slasher

My game is going very well and hopefully I will meet the deadline.

Game progress: 45%

VampireWombat

My game is... Going so so, I guess. I'm still in the character sprite style stage. I've moved away from the top down idea. I might even have the first character created this weekend.

Stupot

In case anyone checks the MAGS threads but doesn't check the Adventure Related Talk and Chat, you may not know that we're in the middle of voting for MAGGIES (The best MAGS game of last year).

If you have no idea what I'm going on about, check this thread for details:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=57718.0

Slasher

My game is going very well and I am on course to complete the game on time.

Game progress: 55%

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk