MAGS February "Frozen World" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sat 01/02/2020 13:22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS February?

Frozen Kingdom
2 (15.4%)
The Frozen Shore
10 (76.9%)
Unfreeze
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Tue 17/03/2020 15:26:16

VampireWombat

Hmm. Looks like I still may have time. Do I release a version of the game that's playable, but lacks all subtlety? Or do I just wait and release it at a later point when I can include everything I wanted?

Slasher

Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 03/03/2020 13:12:24
Hmm. Looks like I still may have time. Do I release a version of the game that's playable, but lacks all subtlety? Or do I just wait and release it at a later point when I can include everything I wanted?
If you think it is strong enough then release...

VampireWombat

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 03/03/2020 13:33:25
No, not really...
It would be like simply putting some lettuce on a bun and calling it a burger.

TheManInBoots

deleted
It's the entire game file.
Many thanks to Sandra Almeida (graphics) and Geoff Hawthorne (voiceover) for helping out with it!

Unluckily I could not remove the "mouse bug".

I tried removing several parts of the game to avoid that bug being triggered.
It is less cool the game, and certain things might work less well than they should.

You might wanna set the inventory "ipole" to active inventory from the beginning to play the end of the game.

This is as good as  I believe I can manage for the moment.
:~(

Maybe the main idea of the game still shines through and it can still be enjoyable. ;)

Cassiebsg

This is still useless and not the full project.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

TheManInBoots

Try again.
It should be all.

If I find a solution to the bug, I will re-post a completely playable version ASAP obviously.
It happened while I was adding the transition between chapter1 and the last chapter right before the deadline.
Even though both parts were tested and working fine, after adding the transition somehow the mouse bug started, and all changes I made to the script afterwards to undo the bug did not work.
I wasn't expecting such a bug, that affected the entire game, so shortly before the deadline after I considered the main frame done. There is nothing I can do on such short notice that I haven't done.
So sorry for the effort you put into this. And considering all the cool support and help from Playpretend's side as well..

TheManInBoots

Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 03/03/2020 13:46:17
Quote from: Slasher on Tue 03/03/2020 13:33:25
No, not really...
It would be like simply putting some lettuce on a bun and calling it a burger.

It's like putting a delicious piece of lettuce on it, and hoping that people will have enough imagination to see what would be the entire burger.
But it's risky and word games won't help me here.

I just don't know what better to do in my position.
We have worked really hard on this and posting nothing does not seem acceptable neither.

What can I do.
I will for sure fix the game when I can.

That must do for now.

Stupot

I'm about to close things down. Is that last Google link the final entry? This is the only window of opportunity I've got. Do you have a screenshot I can use for the voting post?

TheManInBoots

Let's pick a more fun scene!

Stupot

Voting is now open. Please vote using the poll above.

Frozen Kingdom
by Slasher
The Frozen Shore
by JackPutter
Unfreeze
by TheManInBoots, PlayPretend and Cassiebsg

Thanks to everyone who had a go. We were staring down the barrel of a two single-entry months in a row but JackPutter and ManInBoots and co came out of the woodwork to give Slasher a run for his money.

VampireWombat, Sorry you couldn't get something finished by this point. If you are able to enter finish something, say, within the next little bit of time, I might, shall we say, "accidentally" slip it to the bottom of the voting list.

As always, please let me know asap if I've missed anything or anyone.

TheManInBoots

Here are a few rather HELPFUL instructions on playing my game and avoid too much buggines: :)
Spoiler

deleted since obsolete with fixed version
[close]

Anyways, I hope you guys will have fun playing my game!
Bugs, last second failure and errors are all part of deadlines and competitions. So I wish all my fellow contestants best of luck, and no need to feel bad for me.
This is what I was able to produce in this month. May the best game win! :)

And I have to mention, Cassiebsg was really dope during this month and she's been a fucking hero delivering all those amazing graphics in such short amount of time!
And it's been so fun working with playpretend! His voice is amazing! Working, won or not, I had fun creating this! So thanks especially you  two for the experience!

Cassiebsg

The rar file is broken and can't be opened, at least in my end. Anyone that can open it?

Just zip it, don't rar it!

TheManInBoots

Alright, wait, I'll try again...

Placing an empty Compiled and Debug folder in the project file (since I didn't upload them) doesn't help for the problem you're describing, does it?

Slasher

There is quite a bit of work that needs doing..

Ex:

In tent you have log on the floor script name olog yet you set interact as olog_PickUp which will not fire the code... Deleted and Rename to olog and added the script and it fires.

cJames.Say("424 Wood is always useful!");    No 424 speech file and has no &

The gui's look a mess..

Keep at it and i hope you can make the game playable..

Cassiebsg

I have had problems with rar files not working before. You probably using a version that is not compatible with mine. But never had a problem with zip files.

TheManInBoots

What? for me it doesn't matter what the name of the function is.
If I write pickup in the interact section it interacts perfectly fine.
Note that I wanted to trigger a interact function, not a pickup function.
I first wrote it as pickup, because it's kind of confusing that in standard games, the hand mouse is not pickup but interact.
And then I changed it to interact, but left the name the same out of laziness, and it works perfectly fine.

So I don't understand why you say it does not work!

The guis were last minute assignments.
Since setting the settings is not part of the actual game play.
But last minute I had all of a sudden a different problem to deal with that took me by surprise! :D

Slasher

Trust me... If the script name is olog then that is the name that the script writes to in its properties panel.. if you change this property name and you can still input the script but it will not run... Now if you script renamed olog to olog_pickup than it would be ok..

Interact can be anything you want Grab/Use/Take etc

TheManInBoots

I'm not sure I understand.

In the interact field of olog I have written olog_PickUp()

And it triggers the function in script:

function olog_PickUp()
{}

Exactly as it's supposed to...
When I interact the wood log with the hand cursor, then the player picks up the wood log, exactly as he should.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Slasher

Still need to sort out mouse walk only cursor.

TheManInBoots

Yes, that's exactly the bug I'm talking about!

It's the craziest thing I've ever seen on AGS!

Nothing I change in script changes that!

If you know the solution, please, be my savior!
It's the reason this game doesn't work!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk