MAGS February "Frozen World" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sat 01/02/2020 13:22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS February?

Frozen Kingdom
2 (15.4%)
The Frozen Shore
10 (76.9%)
Unfreeze
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Tue 17/03/2020 15:26:16

Cassiebsg

Okay, I got a newer TotalCommander and now I can unpack the rar file.  (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

Ive spotted couple of things.. I just have to say that I think you have over scripted when everything could have been scripted in a more user friendly way..

The game itself looks cool and I would have liked to be able to play to the end... shame  :(

TheManInBoots

Yes, I know I have over scripted it.

It's kind of the process of having no idea how you gonna do something and doing things you've never done before, then experimenting with one idea after another, until you find the one that works best. You can't do that in an organized way.
The group of rabbits, moving camera, changing outfit, looking through newspaper and many other things were all things I did for the first time for this game.
It's exhausting but in the end I know to do way more than in the beginning.
If I did the entire game again, I'd do it cleaner and simpler yes, now that I understand everything bette :-D
And then it's my creative way as well a little to think around corners ;)

I agree it's a shame it doesn't work.
A lot of thought has gone into this.

And all parts were working btw, only in the end it collapsed.
I was working on the middle part and making it work, and an hour before deadline I check chapter 1 again, and everything stopped working!

If you find something substantial that could help let me know.

Ah, good thing you made rar work Cassiebsg. Anyways, since I uploaded it, here's zip as well for anyone else who prefers that:
deleted

Slasher

TheManInBoots... Welcome to the wonderful world of ags...

I brave your attempt and you had some good ideas..

I am certain that what you have learnt will aid your progress and you will go on to make some good games..

Keep it simple and pure and keep learning ;)

Slasher

My thoughts:

The Frozen Shore by JackPutter
Spoiler

Although this game is very short I found it a charming little game, although fairly easy. It was great to see a new game developer use a simple, but effective way for a 1st game rather then try to make it too complex and I commend him for this..   Because of the time limit one can forgive some missing interactions etc..
[close]

Unfreeze by TheManInBoots
Spoiler

I'm really sorry that this guy's game did not work out. He must have worked very hard but in the end it all collapsed. He veered off simplicity for a 1st game and that is where his troubles must have begun and wasn't experienced enough to put it right. The intro speech in the dark was fantastic...  I  do hope he has learnt something and will continue as a developer.
[close]

Shadow1000

I have no idea how to play Unfreeze and I don't see any instructions here or in the folder. I tried the different links and downloaded it and opened it three times into a folder over 2 GB and I only see a few dozen files that I can't open. I don't see any executable or readme or place to start. How is this entry to be played?

Thank you

Slasher

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 05/03/2020 04:10:19
I have no idea how to play Unfreeze and I don't see any instructions here or in the folder. I tried the different links and downloaded it and opened it three times into a folder over 2 GB and I only see a few dozen files that I can't open. I don't see any executable or readme or place to start. How is this entry to be played?

Thank you
Spoiler

The developer ran into major problems I'm afraid.
[close]

Cassiebsg

I can upload a compiled version, shadow. I'll do that, give me a couple minutes.
He uploaded the full project, so one has to compile the game self.

EDIT: So here's a compiled version of the game project: http://www.mediafire.com/file/k0cwzkdes56kdgg/Unfreeze.zip/file

Keep in mind I did not change one single code line. I just opened the project, hit the compile button and zipped the compiled folder. So it's exactly as he left the code.

Stupot can you place the link above as well along the project file?

TheManInBoots

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 05/03/2020 04:10:19

Thank you

Hi Shadow,

I uploaded the entire project file, and not the actual compiled game.
So you need to load the project file into your AGS game editor (needed version: at least AGS 3.5.0.23 or higher, latest version can be downloaded here).

You do that either by opening your editor, and loading the project into it(by clicking the open button, or clicking "File" and selecting "open" or by pressing "Ctrl-L").
Or you do it by double clicking the file called "Game" in the downloaded folder (it's an AGF file). And then browse for and select your AGS Editor in the pop-up window that follows.

Once the project is loaded, you change the details specified HERE and run the game from your editor.

TheManInBoots

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 03/03/2020 18:41:52
TheManInBoots... Welcome to the wonderful world of ags...

I brave your attempt and you had some good ideas..

I am certain that what you have learnt will aid your progress and you will go on to make some good games..

Keep it simple and pure and keep learning ;)

Slasher I appreciate your kind words.
When I don't attempt something brave and different it does not feel meaningful to me and doesn't make me happy.
I'd rather change and work with a more stable engine than change my style ;)
For me it feels more like an engine failure than a scripting error, like for my last project, when Sprites could not be loaded into the project or the animations could not be played because of bugs and limitations in the way Sprites are saved and cached. Crimson Wizard was able improve the engine after testing my project file.

But I can't know for sure of course until someone finds out what the problem is.

Shadow1000

@Slasher:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll bear that in mind!

@Cassie:

Thanks for the compile. I'll check it out when I have time later.

@TheManInBoots

Thanks for the explanation. I don't have the AGS game editor as I've never needed it to play anything released, competition or otherwise. Thankfully Cassie compiled it so I can check it out.

@Stupot:

Are there any regulations in the competition that define an acceptable entry, including at least being compiled and able to run "as is"?

Shadow1000

Regarding Unfreeze:

I started playing but I keep hitting a snag where the cursor turns into the shoe icon and I cannot turn it back to allow me to look or use or any other icon. I must have restarted four times. Is there a solution to this?

Slasher

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 06/03/2020 03:27:54
Regarding Unfreeze:

I started playing but I keep hitting a snag where the cursor turns into the shoe icon and I cannot turn it back to allow me to look or use or any other icon. I must have restarted four times. Is there a solution to this?

Spoiler

That was one of the major problems and you are expected to amend script lines.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 06/03/2020 03:38:22

Spoiler

That was one of the major problems and you are expected to amend script lines.
[close]

In that case, I've cast my vote.

Frozen Kingdom
Spoiler
Nice game! Great application of the theme. I liked that there were so many areas and things to do. The game was designed well with good flow (can't go where you're not supposed to yet) and I found it overall enjoyable. The graphics and animations were really pleasing for the most part although some parts looked a bit out of place, such as the blacksmith who didn't look like the graphic was consistent. Good story and puzzles. Very impressive for such a fast release
[close]

The Frozen Shore
Spoiler
Great application of the theme. I liked the non-verbal communication. Good graphics and animation. Unfortunately, as some have pointed out, it was essentially one puzzle but I have to admit to smiling and chuckling when I got the boat going. I did enjoy it overall, despite the length.

Most important of all, CONGRATS on your first AGS game! Everyone starts somewhere and if this is your first, I really anticipate some awesome releases from you when you have the time to dedicate!
[close]

Unfreeze
Spoiler
Intriguing story, impressive voice acting and music. Good graphics and animations. Incomplete and unplayable the way it is, as others have pointed out. I don't know if uncompiled games that require the player to modify code are admissible in the competition but Cassie was kind enough to compile it after the release so I'll overlook the uncompiled aspect.

I see the potential but my friendly advice would have been to take your idea and consider the time constraints of the competition and been more ambitious in a game that compiles and runs error free with a good story and puzzles rather on something so slick that might have been more appropriate for a long-term project with more participants
[close]

My vote went straight to
Spoiler
Frozen Kingdom and something tells me that Slasher's going to nab this month's competition again
[close]

Slasher

Shadow

Since your above comments I have changed Mungo the Blacksmith's graphic..  I also noticed that I had the wrong MAG date shown, now corrected..

The game has now been updated.

Cheers

Cassiebsg

I've actually found the cause and solution for both bugs (and posted it on the thread) last night, but it's not up to me to fix and upload a working game.

TheManInBoots

Cassiebsg I changed the problems in script you discovered and now the game is up and running and works.

I added a gui background color, because those guis were just not pretty to look at and imported all the speech files.
The game can be finished.

It is as far as we were able to create the game before the deadline, so there is still quite some more stuff in the middle that might be added to the game at a later point.
I might post a more complete game in the appropriate forum at some point.

I know, I know, the mittens might be a little off, the gui might be 1 pixel too high etc.
Okay, two characters have not their Manual Scaling activated. I know.
For now I was busy fixing the script errors and restoring the game as it was and have it work.
Details will come later.

Slasher, my question, since you changed the blacksmith design. Is it possible to update the game during competition?
I might add sounds, because that would make it really epic. And there are a few action combinations that are not yet considered in game.

For now, I hope you guys will enjoy the game as is.

PLAYABLE!

Slasher

Hi TheManInBoots,

I had to copy the new files into the already windows compiled folder.

The game opens and started playing. Added log to stove...The mouse cursor seems fine at this point...

However, the key that was once in Clara's pocket is not longer there in inventory to open the chest...

You can change things but once a person has voted they can't vote again.. So it's based on the game version when the player voted....

Stupot

You’re not really supposed to adjust the game once voting has started. Game-breaking bug fixes are generally accepted because we want everyone to release a game that at least runs properly. But changing cosmetic and gameplay elements (sprites, colours, dialogues, puzzles) is against the rules. People tend to keep any tweaks and updates to themselves until after the voting period is over.

JackPutter

@Shadow1000 - Thank you so much for such a lovely mini-review! I'm very glad you enjoyed my game. I tried to keep things very simple since it was my first ever game project, so I understand that it is very short in terms of length/lacking in content. That was by design, and I know that it's probably one of the biggest weaknesses. Hopefully now that I have a better grip on how AGS works I can spend more time creating and less time pulling my hair out and searching for tutorials just to do the basics! Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement.

@TheManInBoots - I'm so glad to get the chance to play Unfreeze! I was really looking forward to it when I saw your screenshot but I couldn't get it to run when you uploaded the first versions. I was delighted to see you post a playable file! I love the story hook, and the fact that it is fully voiced is a super achievement! The graphical style is great and it must have taken a lot of work to get the temperature meter working the way it does.

Unfortunately I just don't think I'm very good at playing it! I must have died about six times just getting to the point where I have both the mittens and the teddy bear. Now I feel like I've clicked everything and rubbed every inventory item on every object and I am stuck. I'm guessing that's just me being dense though, and not anything on your end!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk