MAGS February "Frozen World" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sat 01/02/2020 13:22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS February?

Frozen Kingdom
2 (15.4%)
The Frozen Shore
10 (76.9%)
Unfreeze
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Tue 17/03/2020 15:26:16

Cassiebsg

@Slasher, that's because the key was never suppose to be in his pocket in the first place. He probably placed it there so it would be possible to half-play the broken version.

Edit (a bit spoilery):
Spoiler

The key is actually in Clara's room, which is why I think he placed it in the players pocket, since that room was broken and unplayable. Now that it's playable, he removed the key from the pocket, so it can be picked up where it was in the first place.
[close]

EDIT 2: I just unpacked the "releasable game" ... why the hell isn't there a winsetup file?  8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

And Debug On....(all inv)

At least I am outside with the teddy and mittens ;)

Cassiebsg

And I finished day 1 of Unfreeze and...

Spoiler

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.5.0.23)

in "GlobalScript.asc", line 1336

Error: Unable to display speech because the character cJames has an invalid speech view (View 61, loop 3, frame 0)

OK   

[close]

HanaIndiana

Great work everyone! I'm now cold, and fully entertained  :-D
I think I read this was JackPutter's first game and/or first Mags? I'm impressed!

JackPutter

@HanaIndiana - You read correctly, this was my first ever game of any kind! I am very flattered to hear you say that, thank you very much!

lanchong

All 3 games had an interesting take on the frozen world topic.

Frozen Kingdom
Spoiler
Nice fairy tale with the usual Slasher trademark: an original story and interesting puzzles.
[close]

The Frozen Shore
Spoiler
It's a bit too short as everyone pointed out and the background story is a bit slim. But I really loved the retro graphics and animations and the puzzle was fun. You got my vote.
[close]

Unfreeze
Spoiler
You've put a lot of work into this game and I look forward to play it again when there's a full version available. Personally, I don't enjoy timed games and 3D generated characters which probably influenced my vote.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Few comments about the games.  (nod)

Frozen Kingdom
Spoiler

Nice story and graphics are okay too. I like how you can keep delivering great games month after month.  :-D
However a few things did cut on my enjoyment: having to walk around talking back and forth so to get to the "next" stage, not being able to pick up the sword when I already knew where to use it and why, but had to go back there another time to get the "trigger" to activate, and the witch constantly bothering when just walking by.
[close]

The Frozen Shore
Spoiler

Cute little first game. I enjoyed the non talkative mood of the game, and the puzzle was good too. Though I would have liked to know what I was actually doing before I did it.  (roll)  And a few more responses to hotspots would have been nice. But I did enjoyed it and you got my vote.  (nod)
[close]

Unfreeze
Spoiler

Good effort, and like lanchong, I'm not into timed games either, but that was important for you, so there.
However killing your player when he's stuck in a long blocking cut scene is not cool, IMHO, and it got me mad (not to mention it ruined the dramatic scene entirely). You should pause the timer, since the player has no choice to leave and cuts down on willingness to explore the environment if you just going to die like that.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the voice work is top notch! And adds a lot to the game.  :-D
[close]

TheManInBoots

Slasher
Spoiler

Spoiler
Quote from: Slasher on Sat 07/03/2020 03:30:58
Hi TheManInBoots,

I had to copy the new files into the already windows compiled folder.

The game opens and started playing. Added log to stove...The mouse cursor seems fine at this point...

However, the key that was once in Clara's pocket is not longer there in inventory to open the chest...

Slasher, you have to find the key lol! It is not in Clara's pockets. In the buggy version I added it to the inventory from the beginning, but that's not the original game play.
[close]
Just saw that Cassiebsg already perfectly explained that.    :-\

Slasher, what do you mean, copy the files? Normally you should be able to just run the exe-file? Does that not work?
[close]
Cassiebsg
Spoiler

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 09/03/2020 22:18:45
Few comments about the games.  (nod)

Good effort, and like lanchong, I'm not into timed games either, but that was important for you, so there.
However killing your player when he's stuck in a long blocking cut scene is not cool, IMHO, and it got me mad (not to mention it ruined the dramatic scene entirely). You should pause the timer, since the player has no choice to leave and cuts down on willingness to explore the environment if you just going to die like that.

Part of the game. You gotta find a way to last long enough in the coldness to survive the cutscene! I could add an option though.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 07/03/2020 18:22:22
And I finished day 1 of Unfreeze and...

Adventure Game Studio
An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.5.0.23)

in "GlobalScript.asc", line 1336

Error: Unable to display speech because the character cJames has an invalid speech view (View 61, loop 3, frame 0)

Okay I understand why it happened and that's easily fixed.
If you wear the red coat on top of the green coat this does not happen. I'll upload an unbugged version for that issue.

Cassiebsg, why is winsetup important? As long as you can run the .exe file and play the game, why would you want a winsetup?
[close]

Anyone played day 2 yet?
There's a really fun part in it!
I would like to hear what people think about it!

Little hint so that more people are able to end the game:
Spoiler

For day 1, try to find the teddy bear, that will help you a lot to survive the cold and reach day 2
[close]
And if that's not enough, here's another hint/spoiler, don't look at it, if you don't want it to be too easy
Spoiler
Also, try to find something that won't help you on day one, but will help you stay warm on day 2, after it unfroze.
[close]

DISCLAIMER: It is possible to save the world and end the game in the version I uploaded. Only the middle part is way shorter than originally intended, but you can finish the game.

JackPutter

@Ianchong - Thank you so much for your kind words! I understand that it is very bite-sized as I had to spend most of my time during the moneth on learning how AGS works, but hopefully you got a little taste of what the character's life is like. I am extremely flattered that you would vote for my game over the others, thank you very very much!

@Cassiebsg - You have raised an excellent point, most people probably don't pick up the items and think, "Ah, I know exactly what to do with these!" I personally hate it when puzzles are TOO illogical so in future I'll do my best to signpost things. I am very pleased that this wasn't a dealbreaker for you though, thank you so much for voting for my game! Your support and encouragement means a lot.

TheManInBoots

Unbugged version 01.b2:

you can go to sleep in green jacket, the character is not automatically killed by triggering the cutscene, instead the player is given a choice.
The shooting animation exists only with the red jacket, but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to update it, so I left it.
Edit:Stupot (and not Slasher oops, I wasn't paying attention!) if you'd be so kind to update the link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PgN4emm7-4onex5XN7wCaWVixJ1bz-7h/view?usp=sharing

Here are some screenshots from day 2 for who hasn't reached it yet:
Spoiler

[close]

TheManInBoots

Quote from: JackPutter on Sat 07/03/2020 11:00:53
@TheManInBoots - I'm so glad to get the chance to play Unfreeze! I was really looking forward to it when I saw your screenshot but I couldn't get it to run when you uploaded the first versions. I was delighted to see you post a playable file! I love the story hook, and the fact that it is fully voiced is a super achievement! The graphical style is great and it must have taken a lot of work to get the temperature meter working the way it does.

Unfortunately I just don't think I'm very good at playing it! I must have died about six times just getting to the point where I have both the mittens and the teddy bear. Now I feel like I've clicked everything and rubbed every inventory item on every object and I am stuck. I'm guessing that's just me being dense though, and not anything on your end!

Hey Jack!
Just only saw your comment.
I really appreciate your enthusiasm about my game!
Thanks, the story is something I added to make the game captivating, very intentionally :) and I'm so glad George Hawthorne was so spontaneously up to do the voiceover, really dope!
That's probably normal that you die a few times until you find the teddy.

Tip for you for day 1:
Spoiler

The goal is to prepare everything for day 1, so that you can go to sleep (by interacting the sleeping mat).
You can look at inventory items by right clicking them.
That should help you I'm quite sure.
[close]

Also your game was nice!
The thing you do on the boat, it's a really fun, creative idea and I like the drawings.
When you check out the empty cupboard, it's so funny his movement like "what do you want from me", lol.
I think it's well done.

The Great Underground Empire

It was great working with you and Cassiebsg!  (And it's Geoff Hawthorne, no worries.  :) )  Good job to everybody in the competition!

Cassiebsg

I just realized I didn't answer about winsetup.

Winsetup allows me/the player to choose the best and most compatible settings with his or hers PC. Some people want OpenGl, others something else. It also allows me to check "windowed mode" on, I never play full screen, so before I ran any AGS game, the first thing I run is winsetup. Or if the dev has locked the mouse to the window by some odd reason, I can also uncheck that. So yes, winsetup is important to zip. You should basically zip any and all files that are in the compiled folder.
What I normally do is compile all files, rename the windows folder to the game name, and then zip the folder. That why I also provide a nice folder for the players.  ;) If you compile to other versions like Linux, do the same process to create a new zip for the Linux version.
Do not pack both windows and Linux in the same zip file, please. ;)

But since  had the full project pack, I just grabbed winsetup from there and threw it into the game folder.

Slasher

TheManInBoots

Spoiler

After a really bad start you managed to get the game playable. I was able to play the game,  though only a small way in....
I think the ideas you had were great and I can see potential in a more optimized game....  It was all there but just needs a few tweaks.
If you had spent more time on it and not tried to do it in a month you could have made a better, playable game..  Having said that I am really glad you got there in the end. Thanks for not giving up... I'm sure that with what you have learnt about ags will benefit you on further games... My advice is to listen to the people who do not need to prove themselves, even if you disagree with them, show respect... Well done anyhow...
[close]

TheManInBoots

Thanks Playpretend! Oh yeah, I corrected it! I checked to be sure, at least I wrote it right in the game! :D
Do you want me to add your email adress, too btw to the game?

Slasher
Spoiler

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 14/03/2020 05:09:38
After a really bad start you managed to get the game playable. I was able to play the game,  though only a small way in....
Wait, a small way in? It's playable! You can play it to the end, though!
Quote from: Slasher on Sat 14/03/2020 05:09:38
I'm sure that with what you have learnt about ags will benefit you on further games...
I did, sure.
Quote from: Slasher on Sat 14/03/2020 05:09:38My advice is to listen to the people who do not need to prove themselves, even if you disagree with them, show respect...
Thanks for saying that! That's absolutely true! You have to respect people you disagree with and treat them with respect. Even when they know less than you. I like to listen for advice from ANYBODY, experienced, unexperienced, people who need to prove themselves, people who don't. Everyone can have a good idea. But what I don't like is people who treat others like they're beneath them, because they don't have to prove themselves anymore, and try to put others down who are less experienced and discourage their ideas. Everyone deserves to be respected, the ones who know more and the ones who know less.
[close]

Kastchey

I have played all the games, my feedback below:

Frozen Kingdom
Spoiler
There is far more walking around than actual gameplay in this one, but fun enough overall. I really do admire your capability of whipping up a consistent story on the fly and turn it into a working game month after month, Slasher. The graphics are becoming more consistent too. "Sir Rogerick" made me chuckle :)
[close]
The Frozen Shore
Spoiler
What a sweet little game! Loved the graphics, the puzzle (even if it was the only puzzle in the game) and the clever ending. The character gesturing instead of talking or producing generic responses felt like a fresh approach. Very well done!
[close]
Unfreeze
Spoiler
The short timer makes the game quite difficult. I do get the concept, though I think many people may find this discouraging - not the timer system itself but the mercilessly short time frame for any exploration outside of the tent. I do like the game and I'd be interested to play further, I just barely have time to read the interaction for a single hotspot especially around the gate area before I need to make it back to restore the temperature bar. Perhaps I have missed something, I have two coats on me but there is nothing else in the immediate surroundings I could find to warm myself up a bit more.
I have found a small bug: when I used the frozen mittens on the hole in the tent, the game acted as if I had used the teddy bear even though I had no teddy in my inventory. I found the teddy later.
[close]

Edit: typo

JackPutter

@TheManInBoots - Ah, I see where I was going wrong! I'll be sure to try and get to Day 2 of your game this weekend! Thank you so much for your kind words about my game, I'm really glad you got a kick out of it!

@Kastchey - Wow, I am so flattered by your lovely comments! Though my entry is very short I did put an awful lot of work into it, so it really is to rewarding to hear you (and everyone else) saying such nice things about it! I'm delighted that you enjoyed the puzzle, and since I pictured Harry as a quiet and solitary man it made sense to never hear him speak, hence the gestures. Looks like it worked out! Thanks again for playing and giving me your feedback.

TheManInBoots

Quote from: Kastchey on Sat 14/03/2020 15:08:05
Unfreeze
Spoiler
The short timer makes the game quite difficult. I do get the concept, though I think many people may find this discouraging - not the timer system itself but the mercilessly short time frame for any exploration outside of the tent. I do like the game and I'd be interested to play further, I just barely have time to read the interaction for a single hotspot especially around the gate area before I need to make it back to restore the temperature bar. Perhaps have I missed something, I have two coats on me but there is nothing else in the immediate surroundings I could find to warm myself up a bit more.
I have found a small bug: when I used the frozen mittens on the hole in the tent, the game acted as if I had used the teddy bear even though I had no teddy in my inventory. I found the teddy later.
[close]
Thank you Kastchey for this very constructive and helpful feedback! :) That's clearly my scripting error with the Teddy/mittens. That should be easily fixed. And it was really difficult for me to figure out how fast the temperature should drop, since I already knew how the game should be played. So this is really great that you mention that. I guess I made it too hard then. I will definitely look into it as soon as I can, so that more people can play the game.

The Great Underground Empire

Nah, no need to include my email, thanks though.  People can PM me on here. :)

TheManInBoots

Okay Playpretend. Btw, I can only recommend Playpretend to anyone who wants to work with him. He was super nice about it when I asked him if he wants to help, and not only did he do great voice recordings, but sent me very organized files and corrected mistakes I had made. All my recommendations!

So here I made the temperature sink at half the speed. I hope this will be more playable now and won't just kill the player off all the time.
Stupot, if you can do me the favor again, for the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l1UlhdLw3S18lbyisY8ygjUbvdZYSJbr/view?usp=sharing

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk