MAGS February "Frozen World" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sat 01/02/2020 13:22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS February?

Frozen Kingdom
2 (15.4%)
The Frozen Shore
10 (76.9%)
Unfreeze
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Tue 17/03/2020 15:26:16

Stupot

Topic: A Frozen World
Chosen by Alan v. Drake

Voting is open. Please vote using the poll above.

Frozen Kingdom
by Slasher
The Frozen Shore
by JackPutter
Unfreeze
by TheManInBoots, PlayPretend and Cassiebsg

A curse was cast, the heroes failed, or a cataclysm happened. For some reason the whole world was frozen.
Make a game where the protagonist works to put an end to the everlasting winter.

You may use existing artwork to make your game.

Deadline: Feb 28th

Need a little help? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.

Slasher

Awww......... I can feel the cold  (laugh)

Thinking cap on  (laugh)

Stupot

VampireWombat

Hmm. Maybe. I'll see if I can think of a good idea that can use re-existing assets to some degree...

Slasher

I feel a a fairytale coming on  (laugh)

The Queen, the Sorceress, Loki, the stone tablet and our hero  (laugh)

The mind boggles  (laugh)

VampireWombat

Hmm. Fairytale does give me an idea.
I could go a route closer to the Shannara Chronicles than standard post apocalyptic stuff.
A top-down post apocalyptic fantasy with a bit of some kind of punk thrown in it is.

Crimson Wizard

Hopefully, not considered offtopic, I'll leave this here for inspiration :):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl7Sl-7hdXg

Slasher

"Centuries ago there once lived a sorceress named Ballima who was good queen Fallona's evil twin sister. Ballima was jealous that her sister Fallona was made queen instead of her and so she locked herself away in a snow cave high up in the mountains enraged with burning hatred."

"For six years she had tried to destroy the queens' kingdom with magic but she had failed. She had long searched for a greater magical power and had, at long last aquired a stone tablet from a travelling gypsy who claimed it had mystical powers. The inscription on the tablet was said to conjure up Loki, the god of mayhem and mischief."

"After several months Ballima began to understand the meaning of the stone tablets' inscription and set about conjuring up Loki so she could wreck havoc on the queens' kingdom."

WHAM

Damn I love this theme, but sadly lack the time to develop something right now. Looking forward to see what others make, though!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Stupot

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 05/02/2020 12:12:06
Damn I love this theme, but sadly lack the time to develop something right now. Looking forward to see what others make, though!
maybe you could team up with someone and split the Labour :-)

TheManInBoots

Interesting, not a long time ago I came up with an original idea for a game that takes place in deadly freezing coldness. Even before I read this thread.

But creating it before the end of the month?? Ugh..

I definitely would not have the time draw the graphics myself this fast.
Does anyone know good links with existing art work and sprites I could use for the game (characters, items, background)?

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 03/02/2020 13:46:14
Hopefully, not considered offtopic, I'll leave this here for inspiration :):
I find it inspiring. Would it be possible to use the music for the game without copystrike?

Cassiebsg

I could be game to do game art if you want help in that department. I do 3D, so no pixel art though. Pm me if you want to team up.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: TheManInBoots on Wed 05/02/2020 13:26:18
I find it inspiring. Would it be possible to use the music for the game without copystrike?

I doubt it, it's from commercial game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/966350/Frostpunk_Original_Soundtrack/

so probably requires permission.

Stupot

@Themaninboots, try the link at the bottom of the first post. That might have something you can use.

VampireWombat

Quote from: TheManInBoots on Wed 05/02/2020 13:26:18
Does anyone know good links with existing art work and sprites I could use for the game (characters, items, background)?
Both Itch.io and Open Game Art have a decent amount of stuff you can use. It's just a matter of finding stuff that fits your game.

TheManInBoots

Slasher

My game is going very well and hopefully I will meet the deadline.

Game progress: 45%

VampireWombat

My game is... Going so so, I guess. I'm still in the character sprite style stage. I've moved away from the top down idea. I might even have the first character created this weekend.

Stupot

In case anyone checks the MAGS threads but doesn't check the Adventure Related Talk and Chat, you may not know that we're in the middle of voting for MAGGIES (The best MAGS game of last year).

If you have no idea what I'm going on about, check this thread for details:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=57718.0

Slasher

My game is going very well and I am on course to complete the game on time.

Game progress: 55%

Slasher

Has anyone else got any ideas brewing?

Still lots of time  (nod)

My Game progress is: 75%

VampireWombat

Two days of snow plus time away from working on any game stuff has given me a general idea of where most of the game will take place and how the climate issue will be fixed. Now to figure out everything else...

Slasher

No snow here this year... so far  (laugh)

I really hope to see a game from you mate...

Buckle up and ride the hot seat ;)

Mandle

I did have a concept in the works but work on a commercial game is getting intense so I think I am out.

Durinde

I'm working on something. If anyone would be willing to help out with some of the background art, it would be fantastic.

Very Rough preview below.

VampireWombat

I did a test for an effect and just finished an animation. But otherwise I still only have a very vague idea of what I'm doing...

Slasher

That looks cool Durinde  (nod)

Figure something out VampireWombat  (nod)

Backs straight and bellies in  (laugh)

My game is at 85%

VampireWombat

I have enough of an idea to make a game. But I need some spark of inspiration to be able to make a decent game.

Edit: And now I have enough of an idea to make it decent. Now to figure out specific details.

cipberbloom

Awesome theme!

Good luck to everyone, here's to hoping you'll wish me the same. This is my first attempt at submitting a game to the database at all.

Story is sorted, rooms are in, half of the characters are drawn. My partner came up with a twist that made it impossible for me to not finally enter MAGS (and he's doing the music).

Thinking about voices now. An older, nasal southern American male maybe is all that's missing? And possibly someone who can do a fair impression of Terry Ingram from 'Overclocked: A History of Violence'.

Whether or not we finish on time is TBD, it's just fun to get something going as a side project that will see the light of day.  8-)

Slasher

Quote from: Skeevy Wonder on Tue 18/02/2020 07:01:16
Awesome theme!

Good luck to everyone, here's to hoping you'll wish me the same. This is my first attempt at submitting a game to the database at all.

Story is sorted, rooms are in, half of the characters are drawn. My partner came up with a twist that made it impossible for me to not finally enter MAGS (and he's doing the music).

Thinking about voices now. An older, nasal southern American male maybe is all that's missing? And possibly someone who can do a fair impression of Terry Ingram from 'Overclocked: A History of Violence'.

Whether or not we finish on time is TBD, it's just fun to get something going as a side project that will see the light of day.  8-)
Yeah, partners can be a heavy influence with ideas/storylines.... If would be great to see your game in this MAG.. You can always build a bigger game for general release after...

MAG is ideal for a first game and I would love to see you enter and you don't need a zillion rooms  (nod)

Slasher

Hi,

My MAG entry (frozen kingdom) is basically finished. Due to the nature of the Typewriter and the TwoClickHandler modules I was faced with a number of issues. I fixed many and whatever are left are not game breaking.. Like pressing esc to skip cutscene during typewriter, it takes about 12 seconds to skip, you may just as well let it run...

Synopsis:

Centuries ago there once lived a sorceress named Ballima who was the evil twin sister of queen Fallona.
Ballima was jealous that her sister Fallona was made queen instead of her and so she locked herself away in an ice cave high up on Mount Sudicas enraged with burning hatred.

For six years she had tried to destroy queen Fallona's kingdom with magic but she had failed.

She had long searched for a greater magical power and had, at long last acquired a stone tablet from a travelling gypsy who claimed it had mystical powers. The inscription on the tablet was said to conjure up Loki, the god of mayhem and mischief.

After several months Ballima began to understand the meaning of the stone tablets' inscription and set about conjuring up Loki so she could wreck havoc on queen Fallona's kingdom.

Queen Fallona appoints Roderick, the 7th son of the earl of Brassock to find out the cause of her kingdom suddenly becoming frozen."

Now it's that time you love to hate.... Testing and tweaking  (laugh)

VampireWombat

Ha. Like I've ever had a game finished early enough for testing and tweaking...

I have a lot of things figured out now. Programming will probably start this weekend. The number of backgrounds will depend on how fast I work and other things.

Slasher

Quote from: VampireWombat on Wed 19/02/2020 16:27:01
Ha. Like I've ever had a game finished early enough for testing and tweaking...

I have a lot of things figured out now. Programming will probably start this weekend. The number of backgrounds will depend on how fast I work and other things.
8-)

Keep up the good work mate and I'll see you at the starting line  (laugh)

I wonder how Skeevy Wonder and Durinde's doing...

Stupot

Heads up. I'm likely to be quite busy on the 1st and 2nd of February, so I guess you can consider this a two-day extension (whether you need it or not).

Slasher

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 20/02/2020 09:47:56
Heads up. I'm likely to be quite busy on the 1st and 2nd of February, so I guess you can consider this a two-day extension (whether you need it or not).
Is that all? You tight devil...  (laugh)

Slasher

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2411-frozen-kingdom

(Edit: Few typo mistakes spotted now done.)

Uses the Bass template with the two click handler... Custom one Save, Save Restore, Save Delete. Also incorporates game Pause / unPause.

Synopsis:

A big freeze has suddenly frozen the Kingdom of Malonia and everything is perishing! Queen Fallona has instructed her soldiers to help the villagers with extra blankets and food. The queen has also appointed Rogerick, the seventh son of the earl of Brassock to investigate the cause.

Who is responsible for causing the frozen kingdom? Was it a witch, a sorceress or something else?

Talk to people, obtain useful items and complete tasks. Can Rogerick save the kingdom of Malonia from the clutches of evil?

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2411-frozen-kingdom

DBoyWheeler

I can't help but notice a particular... feature on the protagonist.   :-D

Kastchey

I take it that's a codpiece? That used to be a normal clothing item around the 16th century, I believe.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Kastchey on Sat 22/02/2020 22:49:16
I take it that's a codpiece? That used to be a normal clothing item around the 16th century, I believe.
Methinks the codpiece got a bit cold.  (laugh)

Slasher

At least it's not a dyper  (laugh)

Uses the Bass template with the two click handler... Custom one Save, Save Restore, Save Delete. Also incorporates game Pause / unPause.

cipberbloom

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 18/02/2020 10:51:24
Quote from: Skeevy Wonder on Tue 18/02/2020 07:01:16
Awesome theme!

Good luck to everyone, here's to hoping you'll wish me the same. This is my first (....)

Yeah, partners can be a heavy influence with ideas/storylines.... If would be great to see your game in this MAG.. You can always build a bigger game for general release after...

MAG is ideal for a first game and I would love to see you enter and you don't need a zillion rooms  (nod)

Thanks!  :-D

Yes, kill your darlings and all that... then resurrect them later.  ;) Scope creep is such a temptress. Yours is looking great and your rapid progress is inspiring!

cipberbloom

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 20/02/2020 09:47:56

:P Ahhh. This is a bit of a relief! So due 1 March or 29 February...?

Slasher

Time is passing like grains of sand falling in an hourglass..

â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"                     
                      ████████â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"████████                       
                    â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"                     
                      â–"â–"â–"â–"                    â–"â–"â–"â–"                       
                      â–'â–'                        â–'â–'                       
                      â–'â–'â–'â–'                    â–'â–'â–'â–'                       
                      â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'        â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'                       
                        â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'                         
                            â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'                             
                              â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'                               
                                â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'                                 
                                  â–'â–'â–'â–'                                   
                                  â–'â–'â–'â–'                                   
                                  â–'â–'â–'â–'                                   
                                  â–'â–'â–'â–'                                   
                                  â–'â–'â–'â–'                                   
                                    â–'â–'                                   
                        â–'â–'          â–'â–'        â–'â–'                         
                      â–'â–'            â–'â–'          â–'â–'                       
                      â–'â–'            â–'â–'          â–'â–'                       
                      â–'â–'          â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'        â–'â–'                       
                      â–'â–'        â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'      â–'â–'                       
                      â–'â–'    â–'â–'  â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'    â–'â–'                       
                      â–"â–"â–"â–"â–'â–'â–'â–'  â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–"â–"â–"â–"                       
                    â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"                     
                      ████████â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"████████                       
                    â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–'â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"â–"                     

I wish everyone good luck and I really hope YOU finish your game in time  (nod)

Now is the time for action  (laugh)

VampireWombat

Great, now I'm thinking of the Days of Our Lives soap opera that my grandma watched when I was a kid...

I don't have as much done as I'd like, but I do have actual puzzles figured out. The next few days I will make mock ups of the rooms and do programming. If I have time, I will add more rooms and more detail to the rooms.

Durinde

Hey folks,

I'm going to have to pull out. Lost a bunch of days due to having a cold, and found out some bad family news today so the wind is out of my sails. I might release the project eventually once I get in the right mindset again.

Best of luck to all.

cipberbloom

Quote from: Durinde on Thu 27/02/2020 13:32:55
Hey folks,

I'm going to have to pull out. Lost a bunch of days due to having a cold, and found out some bad family news today so the wind is out of my sails. I might release the project eventually once I get in the right mindset again.

Best of luck to all.

Gah. I'm sorry to hear that. May your world right itself very soon. When things are going better I hope you'll consider finishing and uploading if you're still into it.

We'll likely not be making the deadline either (didn't check MAGS until 14 Feb, haven't used AGS in a few years).

Definitely best of luck to all--looking forward to seeing the games.  :)

Slasher

I'm sorry to hear about Durinde's bad news and Skeevy Wonder being unable to complete her game on time...

I do hope that VampireWombat pulls something out of the bag...

It's cold here alone  8-)

Meanwhile, have tweaked a couple of issues..

TheManInBoots

Sorry about the bad news Durinde.

Stupot,
so did I understand you right, the deadline is March 2nd at 23:59?

VampireWombat

Shame about the issues.

But yes, VampireWombat should be able to pull something out of some kind of bag. The day of the deadline, we will see if it should have stayed in the bag or not.

JackPutter

Hello everyone! This is my first ever post on the forum so please forgive me if I make any formatting errors. I have worked hard this month to complete a little game for MAGS, I hope you all enjoy it!

GAME LINK:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2412-the-frozen-shore

SYNOPSIS:
Harry lives a simple life. Every morning he wakes up and takes his little boat out fishing. This morning however, he awakens to find that the whole coastline has been covered in snow! Will he still be able to take his boat out of the harbour for his daily fishing trip?

SCREENSHOTS:

Please let me know what you think, it is my very first game and I am very excited to share it with everyone!

Slasher

JackPutter

short and sweet game.

Well done and welcome  (nod)

JackPutter

Hi Slasher!

Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it! Hopefully it is my first MAGS entry of many.

I played your game earlier, I really enjoyed it. I liked how one of the main problems the kingdom is facing is that all their beer has frozen solid! I thought the puzzle involving the bread was really clever too.

Cassiebsg

I hope we get summer soon, I'm freezing in here.  (laugh)

Welcome JackPutter and congrats on releasing your first MAGS and first AGS game!  :-D Looking forward to playing it soon.

TheManInBoots

Jackputter,

I have respect for the fact that you had the discipline to finish your first game, since from what you say you seem to be starting out! :)
The screenshots look already neat!
Welcome to the forum!

Stupot

@TheManInBoots - Yep. You have two extra days :-) Let’s just day 2020 is a leap-leap-leap year.

@JackPutter - Welcome to the boards and congratulations on you first release.

JackPutter

@Cassiebg - Thank you very much, I really appreciate the encouragement! I hope you enjoy it!

@TheManInBoots - That is very nice of you to say, thank you! I made it a very short game on purpose so that I wouldn't run out of steam. You are right, I'm very much starting out so I didn't want to set my sights too high.

@Stupot - Thanks very much, I look forward to making more games and participating in the boards with you all!

VampireWombat

A little under 11 hours. I will definitely have something finished, but still can't be sure what.
Probably most backgrounds will be very barebones and there's a good chance the left/right walkcycle will be limited to 3 frames.

Slasher

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 02/03/2020 13:24:32
A little under 11 hours. I will definitely have something finished, but still can't be sure what.
Probably most backgrounds will be very barebones and there's a good chance the left/right walkcycle will be limited to 3 frames.
3-framed walkcycle... I thought my 4-framed walkcycle held the record  (laugh)

Maybe the rooms are bareboned because the bailiff has been in  (laugh)

You can do it....

VampireWombat

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 02/03/2020 14:36:06
3-framed walkcycle... I thought my 4-framed walkcycle held the record  (laugh)

Maybe the rooms are bareboned because the bailiff has been in  (laugh)

You can do it....
3 frames for each direction is kind of standard with RPG Maker.

Alas, that's kind of lost on me. I had to use Wikipedia since the only bailiffs I'm familiar with are in court rooms.

Yes. I will certainly do it. The only question is what "it" will turn out to be. lol

JackPutter

Good luck VampireWombat! I'm sure that whatever you manage to get completed within the deadline will still be lots of fun! I look forward to playing it!

VampireWombat

Quote from: JackPutter on Mon 02/03/2020 18:37:35
Good luck VampireWombat! I'm sure that whatever you manage to get completed within the deadline will still be lots of fun! I look forward to playing it!
Thanks, but don't get your hopes up too much.
Pretty much any subtlety I had planned is being thrown out. And most of the "puzzles" are pretty mundane. But it's my fault for procrastinating...

VampireWombat

Okay, I was wrong...
I have too many loose ends to be able to make something playable within an hour and a half.

Congratulations to those who did meet the deadline.

TheManInBoots

Hey Stupot!

Serious question,

how strict are you with the deadline?

Cause the uploading will take time and my internet's really slow and the game's quite big...
If I post the link for it tomorrow in the morning when it's uploaded will you still accept it as a valid submission?

We've been working all month till last minute ...  8-0

The Great Underground Empire

I can confirm what he said - we were doing last minute stuff all day to beat the deadline. :)

VampireWombat

Hmm. Yeah, if the deadline was nudged just a bit I could probably have something finished, since it's only 5 pm for me...

TheManInBoots

Yep, I wouldn't mind if anyone else was gonna improve, or post later either obviously...

Cassiebsg

I'm just happy that this insane month is finally over.  :-D I can sleep again! I'm freeeeee!  (laugh)

TheManInBoots

Hahaha, it was a bit too insane, and too ambitious probably for one month.
You were the best delivering all those graphics!
I feel a bit dizzy from all the work, too.

Stupot

Basically If I haven’t officially closed the entries then I’m not going to deny a game. You basically have until I can get to a computer and have ten minutes to myself.

TheManInBoots

Hmm, the entire engine kind of broke down with the game.
That's kind of unfortunate.
Something is uploading right now, and takes it's time.
Maybe I can present at least something, even it won't be what I had intended to.

AGS program went shit crazy, just before the deadline, I have no idea how to fix that quickly.
I made a backup copy of the game some time ago in it's more infantile stage.
It doesn't have a lot of the cool stuff, but this way at least I made  a submission.

It's the AGS project file. not just the game.

It's all I have right now.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10yA3IXunBv3JmwcGepnA7F8EX1Qi9lBI?usp=sharing

Slasher

The game refuses to Load with 3.5.0

error:

Game data file is from version 3.5.0.23 or an unsupported beta version.

TheManInBoots

Slasher

I'm using 3.5.0.21

And your compiled window folder is empty.

Give him 30 mins, Stu.. please

TheManInBoots

So presumably you need at least the 0.23 for it to work, you think?

Oh yeah right.
I remember I did not upload these because it takes more time.
So let's see if my auxiliary uploads get up before Stupot gets to his PC.

Slasher

Quote from: TheManInBoots on Tue 03/03/2020 11:02:03
So presumably you need at least the 0.23 for it to work, you think?

Oh yeah right.
I remember I did not upload these because it takes more time.
So let's see if my auxiliary uploads get up before Stupot gets to his PC.
21 won't Load version  23...

Latest is apparently 24...

EDIT

I've just loaded .24 and get an error:

Could not find file Timer_0.9.0.ash (Module)

Cassiebsg

This is not the full project file, so it won't ever load. There's no sprite file, no audio cache, and the zip only takes 2.4Mb... which I know to be impossible.
If you want to upload the full project then zip the entire thing!

Anyway, I'm not surprised by the outcome.  :~(

Edit: The only useful file in there is the crash dump for CW, if he needs it.

TheManInBoots

TheManInBoots

Why are you not surprised Cassiebsg?

Cassiebsg

I'll take it to PM.

Edit: You need to select your Unfreeze AGS folder and then pack that all into a zip file, then upload it. The entire thing. And make sure to include at least the Audio cache and Speech folders in the file. _Debug and compiled aren't needed for the project to work, but if they're in there it's okay.

Slasher

Just copy the whole darn game folder... zip and upload..

VampireWombat

Hmm. Looks like I still may have time. Do I release a version of the game that's playable, but lacks all subtlety? Or do I just wait and release it at a later point when I can include everything I wanted?

Slasher

Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 03/03/2020 13:12:24
Hmm. Looks like I still may have time. Do I release a version of the game that's playable, but lacks all subtlety? Or do I just wait and release it at a later point when I can include everything I wanted?
If you think it is strong enough then release...

VampireWombat

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 03/03/2020 13:33:25
No, not really...
It would be like simply putting some lettuce on a bun and calling it a burger.

TheManInBoots

deleted
It's the entire game file.
Many thanks to Sandra Almeida (graphics) and Geoff Hawthorne (voiceover) for helping out with it!

Unluckily I could not remove the "mouse bug".

I tried removing several parts of the game to avoid that bug being triggered.
It is less cool the game, and certain things might work less well than they should.

You might wanna set the inventory "ipole" to active inventory from the beginning to play the end of the game.

This is as good as  I believe I can manage for the moment.
:~(

Maybe the main idea of the game still shines through and it can still be enjoyable. ;)

Cassiebsg

This is still useless and not the full project.

TheManInBoots

Try again.
It should be all.

If I find a solution to the bug, I will re-post a completely playable version ASAP obviously.
It happened while I was adding the transition between chapter1 and the last chapter right before the deadline.
Even though both parts were tested and working fine, after adding the transition somehow the mouse bug started, and all changes I made to the script afterwards to undo the bug did not work.
I wasn't expecting such a bug, that affected the entire game, so shortly before the deadline after I considered the main frame done. There is nothing I can do on such short notice that I haven't done.
So sorry for the effort you put into this. And considering all the cool support and help from Playpretend's side as well..

TheManInBoots

Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 03/03/2020 13:46:17
Quote from: Slasher on Tue 03/03/2020 13:33:25
No, not really...
It would be like simply putting some lettuce on a bun and calling it a burger.

It's like putting a delicious piece of lettuce on it, and hoping that people will have enough imagination to see what would be the entire burger.
But it's risky and word games won't help me here.

I just don't know what better to do in my position.
We have worked really hard on this and posting nothing does not seem acceptable neither.

What can I do.
I will for sure fix the game when I can.

That must do for now.

Stupot

I'm about to close things down. Is that last Google link the final entry? This is the only window of opportunity I've got. Do you have a screenshot I can use for the voting post?

TheManInBoots

Let's pick a more fun scene!

Stupot

Voting is now open. Please vote using the poll above.

Frozen Kingdom
by Slasher
The Frozen Shore
by JackPutter
Unfreeze
by TheManInBoots, PlayPretend and Cassiebsg

Thanks to everyone who had a go. We were staring down the barrel of a two single-entry months in a row but JackPutter and ManInBoots and co came out of the woodwork to give Slasher a run for his money.

VampireWombat, Sorry you couldn't get something finished by this point. If you are able to enter finish something, say, within the next little bit of time, I might, shall we say, "accidentally" slip it to the bottom of the voting list.

As always, please let me know asap if I've missed anything or anyone.

TheManInBoots

Here are a few rather HELPFUL instructions on playing my game and avoid too much buggines: :)
Spoiler

deleted since obsolete with fixed version
[close]

Anyways, I hope you guys will have fun playing my game!
Bugs, last second failure and errors are all part of deadlines and competitions. So I wish all my fellow contestants best of luck, and no need to feel bad for me.
This is what I was able to produce in this month. May the best game win! :)

And I have to mention, Cassiebsg was really dope during this month and she's been a fucking hero delivering all those amazing graphics in such short amount of time!
And it's been so fun working with playpretend! His voice is amazing! Working, won or not, I had fun creating this! So thanks especially you  two for the experience!

Cassiebsg

The rar file is broken and can't be opened, at least in my end. Anyone that can open it?

Just zip it, don't rar it!

TheManInBoots

Alright, wait, I'll try again...

Placing an empty Compiled and Debug folder in the project file (since I didn't upload them) doesn't help for the problem you're describing, does it?

Slasher

There is quite a bit of work that needs doing..

Ex:

In tent you have log on the floor script name olog yet you set interact as olog_PickUp which will not fire the code... Deleted and Rename to olog and added the script and it fires.

cJames.Say("424 Wood is always useful!");    No 424 speech file and has no &

The gui's look a mess..

Keep at it and i hope you can make the game playable..

Cassiebsg

I have had problems with rar files not working before. You probably using a version that is not compatible with mine. But never had a problem with zip files.

TheManInBoots

What? for me it doesn't matter what the name of the function is.
If I write pickup in the interact section it interacts perfectly fine.
Note that I wanted to trigger a interact function, not a pickup function.
I first wrote it as pickup, because it's kind of confusing that in standard games, the hand mouse is not pickup but interact.
And then I changed it to interact, but left the name the same out of laziness, and it works perfectly fine.

So I don't understand why you say it does not work!

The guis were last minute assignments.
Since setting the settings is not part of the actual game play.
But last minute I had all of a sudden a different problem to deal with that took me by surprise! :D

Slasher

Trust me... If the script name is olog then that is the name that the script writes to in its properties panel.. if you change this property name and you can still input the script but it will not run... Now if you script renamed olog to olog_pickup than it would be ok..

Interact can be anything you want Grab/Use/Take etc

TheManInBoots

I'm not sure I understand.

In the interact field of olog I have written olog_PickUp()

And it triggers the function in script:

function olog_PickUp()
{}

Exactly as it's supposed to...
When I interact the wood log with the hand cursor, then the player picks up the wood log, exactly as he should.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Slasher

Still need to sort out mouse walk only cursor.

TheManInBoots

Yes, that's exactly the bug I'm talking about!

It's the craziest thing I've ever seen on AGS!

Nothing I change in script changes that!

If you know the solution, please, be my savior!
It's the reason this game doesn't work!

Cassiebsg

Okay, I got a newer TotalCommander and now I can unpack the rar file.  (roll)

Slasher

Ive spotted couple of things.. I just have to say that I think you have over scripted when everything could have been scripted in a more user friendly way..

The game itself looks cool and I would have liked to be able to play to the end... shame  :(

TheManInBoots

Yes, I know I have over scripted it.

It's kind of the process of having no idea how you gonna do something and doing things you've never done before, then experimenting with one idea after another, until you find the one that works best. You can't do that in an organized way.
The group of rabbits, moving camera, changing outfit, looking through newspaper and many other things were all things I did for the first time for this game.
It's exhausting but in the end I know to do way more than in the beginning.
If I did the entire game again, I'd do it cleaner and simpler yes, now that I understand everything bette :-D
And then it's my creative way as well a little to think around corners ;)

I agree it's a shame it doesn't work.
A lot of thought has gone into this.

And all parts were working btw, only in the end it collapsed.
I was working on the middle part and making it work, and an hour before deadline I check chapter 1 again, and everything stopped working!

If you find something substantial that could help let me know.

Ah, good thing you made rar work Cassiebsg. Anyways, since I uploaded it, here's zip as well for anyone else who prefers that:
deleted

Slasher

TheManInBoots... Welcome to the wonderful world of ags...

I brave your attempt and you had some good ideas..

I am certain that what you have learnt will aid your progress and you will go on to make some good games..

Keep it simple and pure and keep learning ;)

Slasher

My thoughts:

The Frozen Shore by JackPutter
Spoiler

Although this game is very short I found it a charming little game, although fairly easy. It was great to see a new game developer use a simple, but effective way for a 1st game rather then try to make it too complex and I commend him for this..   Because of the time limit one can forgive some missing interactions etc..
[close]

Unfreeze by TheManInBoots
Spoiler

I'm really sorry that this guy's game did not work out. He must have worked very hard but in the end it all collapsed. He veered off simplicity for a 1st game and that is where his troubles must have begun and wasn't experienced enough to put it right. The intro speech in the dark was fantastic...  I  do hope he has learnt something and will continue as a developer.
[close]

Shadow1000

I have no idea how to play Unfreeze and I don't see any instructions here or in the folder. I tried the different links and downloaded it and opened it three times into a folder over 2 GB and I only see a few dozen files that I can't open. I don't see any executable or readme or place to start. How is this entry to be played?

Thank you

Slasher

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 05/03/2020 04:10:19
I have no idea how to play Unfreeze and I don't see any instructions here or in the folder. I tried the different links and downloaded it and opened it three times into a folder over 2 GB and I only see a few dozen files that I can't open. I don't see any executable or readme or place to start. How is this entry to be played?

Thank you
Spoiler

The developer ran into major problems I'm afraid.
[close]

Cassiebsg

I can upload a compiled version, shadow. I'll do that, give me a couple minutes.
He uploaded the full project, so one has to compile the game self.

EDIT: So here's a compiled version of the game project: http://www.mediafire.com/file/k0cwzkdes56kdgg/Unfreeze.zip/file

Keep in mind I did not change one single code line. I just opened the project, hit the compile button and zipped the compiled folder. So it's exactly as he left the code.

Stupot can you place the link above as well along the project file?

TheManInBoots

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 05/03/2020 04:10:19

Thank you

Hi Shadow,

I uploaded the entire project file, and not the actual compiled game.
So you need to load the project file into your AGS game editor (needed version: at least AGS 3.5.0.23 or higher, latest version can be downloaded here).

You do that either by opening your editor, and loading the project into it(by clicking the open button, or clicking "File" and selecting "open" or by pressing "Ctrl-L").
Or you do it by double clicking the file called "Game" in the downloaded folder (it's an AGF file). And then browse for and select your AGS Editor in the pop-up window that follows.

Once the project is loaded, you change the details specified HERE and run the game from your editor.

TheManInBoots

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 03/03/2020 18:41:52
TheManInBoots... Welcome to the wonderful world of ags...

I brave your attempt and you had some good ideas..

I am certain that what you have learnt will aid your progress and you will go on to make some good games..

Keep it simple and pure and keep learning ;)

Slasher I appreciate your kind words.
When I don't attempt something brave and different it does not feel meaningful to me and doesn't make me happy.
I'd rather change and work with a more stable engine than change my style ;)
For me it feels more like an engine failure than a scripting error, like for my last project, when Sprites could not be loaded into the project or the animations could not be played because of bugs and limitations in the way Sprites are saved and cached. Crimson Wizard was able improve the engine after testing my project file.

But I can't know for sure of course until someone finds out what the problem is.

Shadow1000

@Slasher:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll bear that in mind!

@Cassie:

Thanks for the compile. I'll check it out when I have time later.

@TheManInBoots

Thanks for the explanation. I don't have the AGS game editor as I've never needed it to play anything released, competition or otherwise. Thankfully Cassie compiled it so I can check it out.

@Stupot:

Are there any regulations in the competition that define an acceptable entry, including at least being compiled and able to run "as is"?

Shadow1000

Regarding Unfreeze:

I started playing but I keep hitting a snag where the cursor turns into the shoe icon and I cannot turn it back to allow me to look or use or any other icon. I must have restarted four times. Is there a solution to this?

Slasher

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 06/03/2020 03:27:54
Regarding Unfreeze:

I started playing but I keep hitting a snag where the cursor turns into the shoe icon and I cannot turn it back to allow me to look or use or any other icon. I must have restarted four times. Is there a solution to this?

Spoiler

That was one of the major problems and you are expected to amend script lines.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 06/03/2020 03:38:22

Spoiler

That was one of the major problems and you are expected to amend script lines.
[close]

In that case, I've cast my vote.

Frozen Kingdom
Spoiler
Nice game! Great application of the theme. I liked that there were so many areas and things to do. The game was designed well with good flow (can't go where you're not supposed to yet) and I found it overall enjoyable. The graphics and animations were really pleasing for the most part although some parts looked a bit out of place, such as the blacksmith who didn't look like the graphic was consistent. Good story and puzzles. Very impressive for such a fast release
[close]

The Frozen Shore
Spoiler
Great application of the theme. I liked the non-verbal communication. Good graphics and animation. Unfortunately, as some have pointed out, it was essentially one puzzle but I have to admit to smiling and chuckling when I got the boat going. I did enjoy it overall, despite the length.

Most important of all, CONGRATS on your first AGS game! Everyone starts somewhere and if this is your first, I really anticipate some awesome releases from you when you have the time to dedicate!
[close]

Unfreeze
Spoiler
Intriguing story, impressive voice acting and music. Good graphics and animations. Incomplete and unplayable the way it is, as others have pointed out. I don't know if uncompiled games that require the player to modify code are admissible in the competition but Cassie was kind enough to compile it after the release so I'll overlook the uncompiled aspect.

I see the potential but my friendly advice would have been to take your idea and consider the time constraints of the competition and been more ambitious in a game that compiles and runs error free with a good story and puzzles rather on something so slick that might have been more appropriate for a long-term project with more participants
[close]

My vote went straight to
Spoiler
Frozen Kingdom and something tells me that Slasher's going to nab this month's competition again
[close]

Slasher

Shadow

Since your above comments I have changed Mungo the Blacksmith's graphic..  I also noticed that I had the wrong MAG date shown, now corrected..

The game has now been updated.

Cheers

Cassiebsg

I've actually found the cause and solution for both bugs (and posted it on the thread) last night, but it's not up to me to fix and upload a working game.

TheManInBoots

Cassiebsg I changed the problems in script you discovered and now the game is up and running and works.

I added a gui background color, because those guis were just not pretty to look at and imported all the speech files.
The game can be finished.

It is as far as we were able to create the game before the deadline, so there is still quite some more stuff in the middle that might be added to the game at a later point.
I might post a more complete game in the appropriate forum at some point.

I know, I know, the mittens might be a little off, the gui might be 1 pixel too high etc.
Okay, two characters have not their Manual Scaling activated. I know.
For now I was busy fixing the script errors and restoring the game as it was and have it work.
Details will come later.

Slasher, my question, since you changed the blacksmith design. Is it possible to update the game during competition?
I might add sounds, because that would make it really epic. And there are a few action combinations that are not yet considered in game.

For now, I hope you guys will enjoy the game as is.

PLAYABLE!

Slasher

Hi TheManInBoots,

I had to copy the new files into the already windows compiled folder.

The game opens and started playing. Added log to stove...The mouse cursor seems fine at this point...

However, the key that was once in Clara's pocket is not longer there in inventory to open the chest...

You can change things but once a person has voted they can't vote again.. So it's based on the game version when the player voted....

Stupot

You’re not really supposed to adjust the game once voting has started. Game-breaking bug fixes are generally accepted because we want everyone to release a game that at least runs properly. But changing cosmetic and gameplay elements (sprites, colours, dialogues, puzzles) is against the rules. People tend to keep any tweaks and updates to themselves until after the voting period is over.

JackPutter

@Shadow1000 - Thank you so much for such a lovely mini-review! I'm very glad you enjoyed my game. I tried to keep things very simple since it was my first ever game project, so I understand that it is very short in terms of length/lacking in content. That was by design, and I know that it's probably one of the biggest weaknesses. Hopefully now that I have a better grip on how AGS works I can spend more time creating and less time pulling my hair out and searching for tutorials just to do the basics! Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement.

@TheManInBoots - I'm so glad to get the chance to play Unfreeze! I was really looking forward to it when I saw your screenshot but I couldn't get it to run when you uploaded the first versions. I was delighted to see you post a playable file! I love the story hook, and the fact that it is fully voiced is a super achievement! The graphical style is great and it must have taken a lot of work to get the temperature meter working the way it does.

Unfortunately I just don't think I'm very good at playing it! I must have died about six times just getting to the point where I have both the mittens and the teddy bear. Now I feel like I've clicked everything and rubbed every inventory item on every object and I am stuck. I'm guessing that's just me being dense though, and not anything on your end!

Cassiebsg

@Slasher, that's because the key was never suppose to be in his pocket in the first place. He probably placed it there so it would be possible to half-play the broken version.

Edit (a bit spoilery):
Spoiler

The key is actually in Clara's room, which is why I think he placed it in the players pocket, since that room was broken and unplayable. Now that it's playable, he removed the key from the pocket, so it can be picked up where it was in the first place.
[close]

EDIT 2: I just unpacked the "releasable game" ... why the hell isn't there a winsetup file?  8-0

Slasher

And Debug On....(all inv)

At least I am outside with the teddy and mittens ;)

Cassiebsg

And I finished day 1 of Unfreeze and...

Spoiler

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.5.0.23)

in "GlobalScript.asc", line 1336

Error: Unable to display speech because the character cJames has an invalid speech view (View 61, loop 3, frame 0)

OK   

[close]

HanaIndiana

Great work everyone! I'm now cold, and fully entertained  :-D
I think I read this was JackPutter's first game and/or first Mags? I'm impressed!

JackPutter

@HanaIndiana - You read correctly, this was my first ever game of any kind! I am very flattered to hear you say that, thank you very much!

lanchong

All 3 games had an interesting take on the frozen world topic.

Frozen Kingdom
Spoiler
Nice fairy tale with the usual Slasher trademark: an original story and interesting puzzles.
[close]

The Frozen Shore
Spoiler
It's a bit too short as everyone pointed out and the background story is a bit slim. But I really loved the retro graphics and animations and the puzzle was fun. You got my vote.
[close]

Unfreeze
Spoiler
You've put a lot of work into this game and I look forward to play it again when there's a full version available. Personally, I don't enjoy timed games and 3D generated characters which probably influenced my vote.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Few comments about the games.  (nod)

Frozen Kingdom
Spoiler

Nice story and graphics are okay too. I like how you can keep delivering great games month after month.  :-D
However a few things did cut on my enjoyment: having to walk around talking back and forth so to get to the "next" stage, not being able to pick up the sword when I already knew where to use it and why, but had to go back there another time to get the "trigger" to activate, and the witch constantly bothering when just walking by.
[close]

The Frozen Shore
Spoiler

Cute little first game. I enjoyed the non talkative mood of the game, and the puzzle was good too. Though I would have liked to know what I was actually doing before I did it.  (roll)  And a few more responses to hotspots would have been nice. But I did enjoyed it and you got my vote.  (nod)
[close]

Unfreeze
Spoiler

Good effort, and like lanchong, I'm not into timed games either, but that was important for you, so there.
However killing your player when he's stuck in a long blocking cut scene is not cool, IMHO, and it got me mad (not to mention it ruined the dramatic scene entirely). You should pause the timer, since the player has no choice to leave and cuts down on willingness to explore the environment if you just going to die like that.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the voice work is top notch! And adds a lot to the game.  :-D
[close]

TheManInBoots

Slasher
Spoiler

Spoiler
Quote from: Slasher on Sat 07/03/2020 03:30:58
Hi TheManInBoots,

I had to copy the new files into the already windows compiled folder.

The game opens and started playing. Added log to stove...The mouse cursor seems fine at this point...

However, the key that was once in Clara's pocket is not longer there in inventory to open the chest...

Slasher, you have to find the key lol! It is not in Clara's pockets. In the buggy version I added it to the inventory from the beginning, but that's not the original game play.
[close]
Just saw that Cassiebsg already perfectly explained that.    :-\

Slasher, what do you mean, copy the files? Normally you should be able to just run the exe-file? Does that not work?
[close]
Cassiebsg
Spoiler

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 09/03/2020 22:18:45
Few comments about the games.  (nod)

Good effort, and like lanchong, I'm not into timed games either, but that was important for you, so there.
However killing your player when he's stuck in a long blocking cut scene is not cool, IMHO, and it got me mad (not to mention it ruined the dramatic scene entirely). You should pause the timer, since the player has no choice to leave and cuts down on willingness to explore the environment if you just going to die like that.

Part of the game. You gotta find a way to last long enough in the coldness to survive the cutscene! I could add an option though.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 07/03/2020 18:22:22
And I finished day 1 of Unfreeze and...

Adventure Game Studio
An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.5.0.23)

in "GlobalScript.asc", line 1336

Error: Unable to display speech because the character cJames has an invalid speech view (View 61, loop 3, frame 0)

Okay I understand why it happened and that's easily fixed.
If you wear the red coat on top of the green coat this does not happen. I'll upload an unbugged version for that issue.

Cassiebsg, why is winsetup important? As long as you can run the .exe file and play the game, why would you want a winsetup?
[close]

Anyone played day 2 yet?
There's a really fun part in it!
I would like to hear what people think about it!

Little hint so that more people are able to end the game:
Spoiler

For day 1, try to find the teddy bear, that will help you a lot to survive the cold and reach day 2
[close]
And if that's not enough, here's another hint/spoiler, don't look at it, if you don't want it to be too easy
Spoiler
Also, try to find something that won't help you on day one, but will help you stay warm on day 2, after it unfroze.
[close]

DISCLAIMER: It is possible to save the world and end the game in the version I uploaded. Only the middle part is way shorter than originally intended, but you can finish the game.

JackPutter

@Ianchong - Thank you so much for your kind words! I understand that it is very bite-sized as I had to spend most of my time during the moneth on learning how AGS works, but hopefully you got a little taste of what the character's life is like. I am extremely flattered that you would vote for my game over the others, thank you very very much!

@Cassiebsg - You have raised an excellent point, most people probably don't pick up the items and think, "Ah, I know exactly what to do with these!" I personally hate it when puzzles are TOO illogical so in future I'll do my best to signpost things. I am very pleased that this wasn't a dealbreaker for you though, thank you so much for voting for my game! Your support and encouragement means a lot.

TheManInBoots

Unbugged version 01.b2:

you can go to sleep in green jacket, the character is not automatically killed by triggering the cutscene, instead the player is given a choice.
The shooting animation exists only with the red jacket, but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to update it, so I left it.
Edit:Stupot (and not Slasher oops, I wasn't paying attention!) if you'd be so kind to update the link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PgN4emm7-4onex5XN7wCaWVixJ1bz-7h/view?usp=sharing

Here are some screenshots from day 2 for who hasn't reached it yet:
Spoiler

[close]

TheManInBoots

Quote from: JackPutter on Sat 07/03/2020 11:00:53
@TheManInBoots - I'm so glad to get the chance to play Unfreeze! I was really looking forward to it when I saw your screenshot but I couldn't get it to run when you uploaded the first versions. I was delighted to see you post a playable file! I love the story hook, and the fact that it is fully voiced is a super achievement! The graphical style is great and it must have taken a lot of work to get the temperature meter working the way it does.

Unfortunately I just don't think I'm very good at playing it! I must have died about six times just getting to the point where I have both the mittens and the teddy bear. Now I feel like I've clicked everything and rubbed every inventory item on every object and I am stuck. I'm guessing that's just me being dense though, and not anything on your end!

Hey Jack!
Just only saw your comment.
I really appreciate your enthusiasm about my game!
Thanks, the story is something I added to make the game captivating, very intentionally :) and I'm so glad George Hawthorne was so spontaneously up to do the voiceover, really dope!
That's probably normal that you die a few times until you find the teddy.

Tip for you for day 1:
Spoiler

The goal is to prepare everything for day 1, so that you can go to sleep (by interacting the sleeping mat).
You can look at inventory items by right clicking them.
That should help you I'm quite sure.
[close]

Also your game was nice!
The thing you do on the boat, it's a really fun, creative idea and I like the drawings.
When you check out the empty cupboard, it's so funny his movement like "what do you want from me", lol.
I think it's well done.

It was great working with you and Cassiebsg!  (And it's Geoff Hawthorne, no worries.  :) )  Good job to everybody in the competition!

Cassiebsg

I just realized I didn't answer about winsetup.

Winsetup allows me/the player to choose the best and most compatible settings with his or hers PC. Some people want OpenGl, others something else. It also allows me to check "windowed mode" on, I never play full screen, so before I ran any AGS game, the first thing I run is winsetup. Or if the dev has locked the mouse to the window by some odd reason, I can also uncheck that. So yes, winsetup is important to zip. You should basically zip any and all files that are in the compiled folder.
What I normally do is compile all files, rename the windows folder to the game name, and then zip the folder. That why I also provide a nice folder for the players.  ;) If you compile to other versions like Linux, do the same process to create a new zip for the Linux version.
Do not pack both windows and Linux in the same zip file, please. ;)

But since  had the full project pack, I just grabbed winsetup from there and threw it into the game folder.

Slasher

TheManInBoots

Spoiler

After a really bad start you managed to get the game playable. I was able to play the game,  though only a small way in....
I think the ideas you had were great and I can see potential in a more optimized game....  It was all there but just needs a few tweaks.
If you had spent more time on it and not tried to do it in a month you could have made a better, playable game..  Having said that I am really glad you got there in the end. Thanks for not giving up... I'm sure that with what you have learnt about ags will benefit you on further games... My advice is to listen to the people who do not need to prove themselves, even if you disagree with them, show respect... Well done anyhow...
[close]

TheManInBoots

Thanks Playpretend! Oh yeah, I corrected it! I checked to be sure, at least I wrote it right in the game! :D
Do you want me to add your email adress, too btw to the game?

Slasher
Spoiler

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 14/03/2020 05:09:38
After a really bad start you managed to get the game playable. I was able to play the game,  though only a small way in....
Wait, a small way in? It's playable! You can play it to the end, though!
Quote from: Slasher on Sat 14/03/2020 05:09:38
I'm sure that with what you have learnt about ags will benefit you on further games...
I did, sure.
Quote from: Slasher on Sat 14/03/2020 05:09:38My advice is to listen to the people who do not need to prove themselves, even if you disagree with them, show respect...
Thanks for saying that! That's absolutely true! You have to respect people you disagree with and treat them with respect. Even when they know less than you. I like to listen for advice from ANYBODY, experienced, unexperienced, people who need to prove themselves, people who don't. Everyone can have a good idea. But what I don't like is people who treat others like they're beneath them, because they don't have to prove themselves anymore, and try to put others down who are less experienced and discourage their ideas. Everyone deserves to be respected, the ones who know more and the ones who know less.
[close]

Kastchey

I have played all the games, my feedback below:

Frozen Kingdom
Spoiler
There is far more walking around than actual gameplay in this one, but fun enough overall. I really do admire your capability of whipping up a consistent story on the fly and turn it into a working game month after month, Slasher. The graphics are becoming more consistent too. "Sir Rogerick" made me chuckle :)
[close]
The Frozen Shore
Spoiler
What a sweet little game! Loved the graphics, the puzzle (even if it was the only puzzle in the game) and the clever ending. The character gesturing instead of talking or producing generic responses felt like a fresh approach. Very well done!
[close]
Unfreeze
Spoiler
The short timer makes the game quite difficult. I do get the concept, though I think many people may find this discouraging - not the timer system itself but the mercilessly short time frame for any exploration outside of the tent. I do like the game and I'd be interested to play further, I just barely have time to read the interaction for a single hotspot especially around the gate area before I need to make it back to restore the temperature bar. Perhaps I have missed something, I have two coats on me but there is nothing else in the immediate surroundings I could find to warm myself up a bit more.
I have found a small bug: when I used the frozen mittens on the hole in the tent, the game acted as if I had used the teddy bear even though I had no teddy in my inventory. I found the teddy later.
[close]

Edit: typo

JackPutter

@TheManInBoots - Ah, I see where I was going wrong! I'll be sure to try and get to Day 2 of your game this weekend! Thank you so much for your kind words about my game, I'm really glad you got a kick out of it!

@Kastchey - Wow, I am so flattered by your lovely comments! Though my entry is very short I did put an awful lot of work into it, so it really is to rewarding to hear you (and everyone else) saying such nice things about it! I'm delighted that you enjoyed the puzzle, and since I pictured Harry as a quiet and solitary man it made sense to never hear him speak, hence the gestures. Looks like it worked out! Thanks again for playing and giving me your feedback.

TheManInBoots

Quote from: Kastchey on Sat 14/03/2020 15:08:05
Unfreeze
Spoiler
The short timer makes the game quite difficult. I do get the concept, though I think many people may find this discouraging - not the timer system itself but the mercilessly short time frame for any exploration outside of the tent. I do like the game and I'd be interested to play further, I just barely have time to read the interaction for a single hotspot especially around the gate area before I need to make it back to restore the temperature bar. Perhaps have I missed something, I have two coats on me but there is nothing else in the immediate surroundings I could find to warm myself up a bit more.
I have found a small bug: when I used the frozen mittens on the hole in the tent, the game acted as if I had used the teddy bear even though I had no teddy in my inventory. I found the teddy later.
[close]
Thank you Kastchey for this very constructive and helpful feedback! :) That's clearly my scripting error with the Teddy/mittens. That should be easily fixed. And it was really difficult for me to figure out how fast the temperature should drop, since I already knew how the game should be played. So this is really great that you mention that. I guess I made it too hard then. I will definitely look into it as soon as I can, so that more people can play the game.

Nah, no need to include my email, thanks though.  People can PM me on here. :)

TheManInBoots

Okay Playpretend. Btw, I can only recommend Playpretend to anyone who wants to work with him. He was super nice about it when I asked him if he wants to help, and not only did he do great voice recordings, but sent me very organized files and corrected mistakes I had made. All my recommendations!

So here I made the temperature sink at half the speed. I hope this will be more playable now and won't just kill the player off all the time.
Stupot, if you can do me the favor again, for the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l1UlhdLw3S18lbyisY8ygjUbvdZYSJbr/view?usp=sharing

JackPutter

I just checked this thread as I couldn't remember what the deadline for voting was. Are those the official results at the top? Or is voting still open?

Slasher

Well done JackPutter for The Frozen Shore..

Congratulations  (nod)

Stupot

Congratulations JackPutter. Your game The Frozen Shore is the winner for February.

You’ll be contacted by PM in the coming days about choosing a topic for April :-)

TheManInBoots

JackPutter

Oh wow, that's amazing! I never thought my first little game would win anything! Thank you very much to everyone who played the game, everyone who gave feedback, and everyone who voted for me! I promise not to let this success go to my head, I know I still have a long way to go!

On a side note, I've just noticed that when I look at my profile it says "I haven't yet worked on any finished games." However on the main game page where I uploaded the game it correctly lists me as the creator. Did I do something wrong in the upload, or in my account settings? Or do you think that is a bug?

Slasher

JackPutter: Your game is on your profile now...

JackPutter

I SWEAR it wasn't there when I wrote my last post! Must be magic...

Slasher

Quote from: JackPutter on Wed 18/03/2020 16:47:34
I SWEAR it wasn't there when I wrote my last post! Must be magic...
As you type your name you must click your name on the link that appears underneath..

Cassiebsg

Congrats JackPutter, we look forward to see what you come up with for the next mags theme and what your next game will be like.  :)

The site/forum's been having connection problems, maybe connection to the DB failed when you checked.  ;)

Shadow1000

Amazing job! Extra congrats for winning the MAGS on your first entry. I look forward to more games from JackPutter.

Retro Wolf

Well done JackPutter! Welcome to the wonderful world of games development!

Kastchey

Well done JackPutter, congratulations!
Hoping to see more from you.

Stupot

One good thing about people being kicked out of their offices is that there’s no excuse for a bad MAGS turnout in April!

You all better be gearing up for a bumper edition. Start finding team mates now!

TheManInBoots

Thanks Stupot for organizing the MAGS competition.

I already spent all my energy on the last month's MAGS game, so I think I will take it easy this month even despite the pandemic lol.
But I hope that people will take the extra time to create something especially creative and original! That would be cool.

I upgraded a few things in my game. Most obviously I added sound effects, I also calibrated the music volume, improved the rabbit hunt and other things.

I spent so many hours, sweat and work into this already just as it is, I don't think I will put the entire game up for free when it's finished, because there is still so much more to come.
But for now you can download it in it's current improved demo state here.

Stupot, if you want the link in the beginning of this thread to work, you'll need to update it, because I deleted the old one.

Stupot

Sorry, ManInBoots. I just saw your post.

The best way to keep your link up to date is to make a game profile on the website and give me the link to that. This way you can change the actual source link however many times you want and I don’t have to go in an update my posts.

That said, remember that working on your game after the deadline is frowned upon. If you do have to change anything it should only be for fixing the most serious game-breaking bugs and crashes that prevent players from being able to even run the game properly. otherwise it’s unfair. And to be honest, most people vote in the first few days, and they can’t change their vote, so fixing things into the second week of voting isn’t going to make much difference.

TheManInBoots

For the competition I fixed the bugs and that's all in case you didn't notice.

I posted the last link (which is a game profile on the web site in case you didn't notice) after the last day of voting so that people can play a better version of the game in case they want.

I keep working on it for my own pleasure, not for the competition.

So, just to be clear, I only fixed the bugs before the voting deadline (which was evening of March 17 if I remember well), so that the game was playable to the end.

And the latest post, which was after the voting deadline, was just as a notification for the latest link, where people will get updates on any other upgrades of the game.
So, as far as I understood, we're good, aren't we?

Stupot

Yeah, we're good, dude. Sorry about the tone of my last post. I got the impression you were making more changes during the voting than perhaps you actually were. My advice to everyone is to set pre-deadline-deadline for yourself to make sure you have "a game" days before the deadline, then you can use the last few days for testing and fixing bugs. (This also gives you the added benefit of freeing you up to start the next month's MAGS :-D )

TheManInBoots

No hard feelings ;)

Yeah, a pre-deadline seems a great idea for me!
I'm a very last-minute kind of person, that might get me into trouble sometimes  (roll)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk