Feedback/Tips/Tricks on my backgrounds

Started by stylez75, Mon 17/02/2020 18:50:12

Previous topic - Next topic

stylez75

Hello all,

I've recently been messing around with AGS and also diving into creating Old sierrra style backgrounds. Looking to display some my
work and see what folks have to say and if others can give feedback/tips or just general advice to improve.

Gallary Here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z4o-juniDEmkkhpw7ItaA4y-poyC3lMS

ManicMatt

It would be easier and better for you if you chose one piece for us to critique.

But I will comment on the image with the hand sculpture. There's different things at different resolutions which is really jarring. The globe for instance is low resolution and very blocky. Additionally with that perspective I should be able to see the tops of many objects, like the guitar, but I can only see the front of it. I've already forgotten what the image looked like to comment further.

It is customary to upload the image somewhere and then display the picture in the thread itself so we can see it easily and not have to leave the site. Not doing so will likely decrease the feedback you will receive.

Babar

They're all very different styles, so it is hard to give generic feedback pertaining to them all, but I will say that for the backgrounds that make use of perspective (I see it easily in marketplace, office and room1, because the textures you use don't line up with the perspective), you have a lot of perspective issues that would be jarring for players.

If you want general advice to improve your process, please share your process!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

stylez75

Thank you for the great feed back. Helped a lot and gives me a direction to focus in.

Moresco

Just chiming in, if you're still around.  I'm choosing to critique your more spaceship-like backgrounds.  I guess the two towards the bottom.  The very first thing I'd say you should do, is try to incorporate more stuff from existing tech. I know, not very fun to invent stuff using stuff that we've already got, but it's kinda important.  If you just create only from imagination and don't tie in anything a viewer might be familiar with, they'll get pretty lost and go "what am I even looking at?"

So for example, your rooms with the fridge and the middle-finger chair (lol'd at that, by the way) are easily digestible because we've all seen that stuff before - well maybe not that chair but I hope I'm getting my point across.   The only thing about your spaceship I get, is that it's supposed to be a spaceship or something.  Grab some spaceship reference from SpaceX or NASA images and start adding some of the little details you see, it will go a long way to making your made up spaceship feel more like a real spaceship even if it isn't.

That's all I've got for now. TLDR = use photo reference!
::: Mastodon :::

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk