MAGS March “Death Defying” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/03/2020 11:41:41

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS March?

Sandi Knievel: Stunt Rider
1 (6.7%)
Brothers & Wreckers - Episode 7
0 (0%)
Barn Runner: Pucker Factor
5 (33.3%)
The Mind
0 (0%)
Whack-A-Soul
1 (6.7%)
Dangerous Derek's Livestream
7 (46.7%)
FATMAN - The Survival Tale of Jim Woods
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Thu 23/04/2020 09:03:55

JackPutter

Congratulations to Creamy and Ponch on getting their games in on time! I look forward to playing them both.

@HanaIndiana - I hope you are still going to be completing an entry for this month's competition!

I still have some sound effects and other finishing touches to add, but if all goes well my entry will be online tomorrow!

The Great Underground Empire

I'll definitely be in by tomorrow!  Core game's done, just adding bells and whistles to pretty it up as much as possible before deadline. :)

HanaIndiana

Yep, mine will be in tomorrow. I'm close to the last timezone... so hopefully it's okay if it seems late.  (laugh)
I'm never sure when I'm supposed to post exactly.

--- Update ---

Here is my entry!
The Mind

Download Link:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2423-the-mind-mags-march-2020-/

This an A.I. version of the card name by the same name. You and your dog Elska must play for your freedom.
Thank you to VampireWombat for the art, and selmiak for the music!

Edit: fixed link
[imgzoom]http://underfootstudios.com/ags/TheMind/title.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://underfootstudios.com/ags/TheMind/levelscreen.png[/imgzoom]

Welcome to Whack-A-Soul!  A comedy carnival-style game made for MAGS March 2020, Death Defying theme.

Game Page: (Temporarily disabled, somehow combined with another MAGS creator's game page, need Admin assistance to fix.)

Direct Download: https://gofile.io/?c=t6YwI0

You must save Souls from Death by whacking them with your Hammer of Reincarnation!

Click the head of your Hammer on each Soul to give it another chance at life!

Miss three Souls on any level and it's game over!

Gameplay: 3 levels, 2 minutes total play time.  Levels 1 & 2, Souls fly up.  Level 3, Souls fly towards center.

Cutscenes: ESC to skip straight to play, any click/button to skip through speech.

Voice/Music: Highly recommended you turn on sound/use voice pack.  We had a lot of fun doing the voices.

Development: We plan to expand the game after MAGS with more levels, power-ups, different Soul types, enemies, and more.

Thanks for playing!

Wow...not sure what happened, but somehow my and HanaIndiana's game pages got combined into one?  Looks like we got the same game number somehow, 2421:

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2421-the-mind-mags-march-2020-

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2421-whack-a-soul

I uploaded mine, and immediately after it had half her info, half mine.  I edited it back to Whack-A-Soul, but now if you click on her download page above, it reroutes to my game.

Sorry Hana!  If we need to, I'll resubmit mine and you can have the original page!

HanaIndiana

It's working now :)
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2423-the-mind-mags-march-2020-/

Yeah, the games section is messed up. I can't get it to work at the moment.

JackPutter

My entry is complete! Unfortunately the game page has glitched out, similar to the problems that PlayPretend and HanaIndiana have had. I hope it gets sorted soon! In the meantime I'll include a direct link. (Edit: The game page has been fixed!)

DANGEROUS DEREK'S LIVESTREAM

GAME LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/file/evumtgwr48qqinf/Dangerous_Derek%27s_Livestream.zip/file

GAME PAGE: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2424-dangerous-derek-s-livestream/

SYNOPSIS:
Dangerous Derek hosts the most outrageous livestream on the internet, and today he's been given an extra-spectacular task to complete! Will Derek be successful, and more importantly, how many viewers will he have when he attempts the stunt?

SCREENSHOTS:

I did everything in this game by myself, including all programming, art, sound effects, and music. I hope you all enjoy it, and I hope it scratches your point-and-click itch for the month!

TheManInBoots

Okay, my game's uploading, soon to be seen here:

outdated link

TheManInBoots

FATMAN-The Survival tale of Jim Woods
Just did this merely for fun.

TheManInBoots

Aay, I realized there is a major bug once you reach room 4! The entire game breaks down!
Only happens when you play through from beginning, that's why I didn't see it.
Did a quick fix:

outdated link

Slasher

There are some cracking games this month... I have started to play them..

Difficult month to choose from (nod)

I will add my thoughts later ;)

TheManInBoots

Quote from: TheFrighter on Wed 01/04/2020 08:21:08
Horray! The good old Fatman is back!  (laugh)

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/323-adventures-of-fatman-the/

_

Oh my god!
That's so funny!
I didn't even know that game existed!  (laugh)
Gotta check it out later!

Ponch

AGS was built on Fatman, Davy Jones, and Larry Vales  :=

Stupot

Thanks for all the entries, folks. I’ll get the voting sorted out as soon as I can spare a few moments.

Stupot

Seven entries! Well done everyone.

Voting is open. Please vote using the poll above.

by Slasher
Brothers and Wreckers â€" Episode 7
by Creamy
BARN RUNNER: PUCKER FACTOR
by Ponch
The Mind
by HanaIndiana
Whack-A-Soul
by PlayPretend
by JackPutter
FATMAN-The Survival tale of Jim Woods
by TheManInBoots

As always, please let me know if I've missed anything.

Mandle

7 entries?! Oh shit. I think I'm gonna participate in playing and voting with full commentary this time!

Tampere

I am just dropping in to say I have played all of your games and this is one of the best MAGS month I recall, on par with the "One Room, One Month" one.
Faboulous creations, pat your backs!

TheManInBoots

If someone can tell me how easy it was to walk to the place that starts level 2 in Fatman, I'd appreciate it.

Here my short game reviews:

The Mind:
Spoiler

The dog was really cute.
Turning a card game into a computer game is not exciting enough for me personally.
A simple card game is best played in real life, imo.
But all elements were nicely animated (coins, hearts, etc.).
[close]

Barn Runner:
Spoiler

Aw, man, so much dialogue! :P
I guess I'm more the action type, rather than the talking type, when it comes to games.
However the facial expressions were nice during the conversation.
Expressive and engaging.
[close]

Brothers and Wreckers:
Spoiler

Real fun and action loaded game play!
Well made with all the different elements!
Attackers from above, from the ground! You need to jump!
Very fun game!
Would have liked to play a little longer!
[close]

Dangerous Derek's Livestream:
Spoiler

Very original idea!
Also the Menu which is a youtube thumbnail!
The Sponsor ads that are appearing are very unexpected and it's funny because of that!
The ads were a little bit long though, and that took a little fun out of it after the first ad.
They were a little bit over-realistic.
Maybe there could have been a few more jokes worked into the ads? (I noticed the Suud-VPN reference which was fun)

Other than that it's a big improvement to the previous game, with several rooms, cool loading symbol while the room is loaded, the people are talking and with a more complex story line. Funny joke at the office door.
[close]

Whack-A-Soul
Spoiler

It had me laughing several times.
It has several differentiated levels.
Very funny and clever speech.
Both death's speech lines and the souls were so funny!
Beautiful Menu Guis.
Very well done!
This game was definitely my favorite of all the games I just played! :)
[close]

Shadow1000

Wow...7 entries! I played all of them and here are my thoughts:

Spoiler
This game was a lot of fun! It actually did give that tense feeling to see if the character will succceed the jump. Overall I had a good time playing but the strategy was very trial and error - take a guess, when you fail you're told what you did wrong and try again.
[close]

Brothers & Wreckers - Episode 7
Spoiler
Also a fun arcade sequence. I got the hang after a few minutes and it was over. Albeit short, a good MAGS entry. I'd personally rather see something fairly complete than something overly ambitious that doesn't quite work.
[close]

Barn Runner: Pucker Factor
Spoiler
I liked the variety of this game and how it moved in phases, from a dialogue-based dating sim, to an arcade sequence to a maze game. I know that when you start you're given the choice of cutting back on the dialogue but it just was too much and not my thing
[close]

The Mind
Spoiler
Good idea, graphics and animations! I played a few rounds and then lost. I just didn't feel the patience to want to play a computer-based card game
[close]

Whack-A-Soul
Spoiler
Sweet game! I had a few smiles and chuckles and love the little comments of the souls as you whack them. Nice voice-overs! A bit too easy - my first time through I did not miss any souls. I played again and saw that sometimes when you hit one soul, another one disappears?
[close]

Spoiler
Awesome in every aspect! fun, but not too difficult puzzles. I think I was laughing almost the entire time I played. The theme is absolutely hilarious and a great parody of the stupidity people pull on YouTube these days. Good sound effects, graphics and animation really polish up this little gem and very impressive for a MAGS entry
[close]

FATMAN - The Survival Tale of Jim Woods
Spoiler
Meets the theme of the month. Decent graphics and animation. The gameplay was a bit awkward and the game had an overall unfinished feel. Some examples: I didn't really have a feel as to whether a bat was in my "range" or not. I speculated that you have to be on the same Z-plane as the bat but there's really no way to tell. The save and load didn't really work for me, either. A game where you can die should have a functioning save/load, especially when you have to go through the first few minutes of tutorial each time (ok, probably more like a minute but still...). I couldn't pass the dragon. It says that I have a few lives on the bottom but as soon as you get out, the character stays mutilated and the dragon's head seems to break off and float in the air?

Overall a good idea but I think it needs some fine-tuning to get out some kinks
[close]

FATMAN - The Survival Tale of Jim Woods v2.0
Spoiler
A multi-phase survival game with decent graphics and animation. Could be polished up with some sound effects and animation, especially when the player dies or harms an enemy as well as a save/load. I don't want to give away too much but it's an interesting mix between attack, defense, and figuring out what to do on each level. Overall, quite playable and enjoyable
[close]

My vote (in case you couldn't tell) went to
Spoiler
Dangerous Derek. I think that all other things being equal, a good puzzle solver game with inventory and dialogues will top my list. This one has a brilliant theme, clever puzzles and overall polish that you rarely see in a MAGS entry
[close]

Really well done.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk