Glastonbury point and click

Started by morph100, Wed 11/03/2020 13:18:55

Previous topic - Next topic

morph100

https://thatglastonburygame.weebly.com/

My first ever game attempt, so yeah its very rough round the edges but it kind of works......I hope.

Any feedback welcome.

Slasher

Where are the rest of the files?

morph100

Do I need more? thought it just worked off the .exe

DO i need to include the other files all as a zip?

morph100

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 11/03/2020 13:22:27
Where are the rest of the files?

OK zipped up all the Compiled files, i think thats what you meant?

Slasher

Yes,  send compiled  folder...  (nod)

morph100

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 11/03/2020 13:38:53
Yes,  send compiled  folder...  (nod)

All sorted....I Hope :-)

Thanks for spotting that mistake so quickly!

arj0n

It does work now, but there's two things:

* You've renamed the game name after compiling? When running Winsetup.exe it looks for 'Glasto3.exe'...
Just open AGS, go to the General Panel, section 'basic properties' and change the game name there. Then recompile the game.

* the in the archive included folder 'Data' is unneeded:
1. (Re)compile the game and exit AGS
2. Rename the folder 'Windows' (in the 'Compiled' folder) to a desired name, like your game name (for example: Glastonbury)
3. Zip and upload the folder Glastonbury
4. Done

morph100

Quote from: arj0n on Wed 11/03/2020 21:21:07
It does work now, but there's two things:

* You've renamed the game name after compiling? When running Winsetup.exe it looks for 'Glasto3.exe'...
Just open AGS, go to the General Panel, section 'basic properties' and change the game name there. Then recompile the game.

* the in the archive included folder 'Data' is unneeded:
1. (Re)compile the game and exit AGS
2. Rename the folder 'Windows' (in the 'Compiled' folder) to a desired name, like your game name (for example: Glastonbury)
3. Zip and upload the folder Glastonbury
4. Done

Great thanks for the tips, I've done that now :-)

arj0n

Stupot

That is one rave review on the website.  :grin:

Looks fun though. Congratulations on making your first game.

Slasher

Very over hyped as it is in its current state and needs polishing in all areas. .    But good luck in this, your first game...

I guess YOU wrote and added the review...

morph100

Yeah review is a joke review written by me. Game very rough and ready was just learning the platform really but found it great. Just need to make some time to polish it or start a new one. Graphics are the hardest bit for me, any tips on character graphics and animations?

Slasher

Either find an artist/animator or download draw-paint and animating software like DragonBones..

You can use windows paint as a basic start and move on to more complex programs like PaintShop/ Photoshop for Draw-Paint..

morph100

Great thanks for the tips, will check them out.

Love the AGS platform

ManicMatt

Have you thought about making a myst style game using photographs, perhaps ones you've taken yourself?

Not only are you going to have nice graphics (lol), but you've now bypassed doing a lot of animation. :D

Laura Hunt

Quote from: ManicMatt on Sat 14/03/2020 22:02:17
Have you thought about making a myst style game using photographs, perhaps ones you've taken yourself?

Not only are you going to have nice graphics (lol), but you've now bypassed doing a lot of animation. :D

You mean like this one? (*wink wink hint hint*) https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2340-a-room-without-you-in-it/

Slasher

Photos are ok as long as characters match in otherwise it looks err in my opinion...

morph100

I prefer the monkey island era graphics.

But yeah I need to do something better than just dumping random animated gifs in of people 😂

Shadow1000

I'm not going to comment on the graphics or animation because I think others have done that. I realize this release is a first attempt to use AGS so I just want to make one small suggestion as to how to improve your game development.

I felt a lack of goal or objective in this game. Most games will range from having an elaborate cut-scene style intro explaining who you are and what you want to do or at least a one line "help Johnny find his keys". I felt this game was a lot of wandering around a lot of rooms, finding small objectives here and there. I gave up when
Spoiler
I met someone hungry and thirsty, I gave him a hamburger and a drink, and then he was hungry and thirsty
[close]

because of the overall lack of polish of the game, and similar things in the game (e.g. people telling you to do something and continuing to do so after you complete the task) combined with an overall lack of direction, I stopped playing.

My goal is not to criticize but more to help give you something to think about for your next release. Good luck!

morph100

Thanks shadow, that really helps, I deffo need to focus on the tasks making them clear and also making sure dialogue changes after tasks.

Obviously this is a first attempt without much time spent on it, was hoping to find a collaborator to build it into something better. If that doesn’t happen though I will just tweak it when I get time, now Glastonbury is delayed I have another year to improve it!! :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk