Jibble

Author Topic: Global Pandemic Lockdown  (Read 20734 times)

Re: Global Pandemic Lockdown
« Reply #420 on: 02 Jul 2020, 19:41 »
Possible we will see more of these viruses in the future, perhaps viruses that are by design. It’s clearly a tactic through which to disrupt the western world. (Sorry, I know that makes me sound like I need a tinfoil hat, but it just such an obvious tool China might want to explore down the road.)

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #421 on: 02 Jul 2020, 20:18 »
Can only see terrorists thinking it's a good idea.
Unless you can design it so that your own population is immune, this disrupts as much the western world as the eastern and northern and southern... So all lands in the globe are having a hard time dealing with it and a serious economic bash.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

« Reply #422 on: 03 Jul 2020, 03:47 »
So all lands in the globe are having a hard time dealing with it and a serious economic bash.

Everyone's is having (or had) a hard time, true, but China's mobile infrastructure and experience with pandemics like this have allowed it to fare phenomenally better than the west (or anywhere else for that matter). I mean, Chinese people didn't even have to be told to put masks on when the news broke; they just did it. This coupled with their cashless society and ability to track the health status and GPS location of every single person in the country via WeChat has meant disruption to daily life was much less affected than in the US (as one of many non-China examples), where Covid is going to linger for years.

VampireWombat

• Not a chupacabra
    • I can help with animation
    • I can help with backgrounds
    • I can help with characters
    • I can help with play testing
« Reply #423 on: 03 Jul 2020, 14:26 »
So, today is the first day of Texas being to mandatory mask wearing. I knew better, but I looked on Facebook anyway. Someone I knew from High School posted a link about it and 3/4 of the responses were anti-mask. I wonder how these same people feel about washing hands...

Slasher

• slasher
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with story design
    • Slasher worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Slasher worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #424 on: 03 Jul 2020, 14:38 »
We hear so much about wearing face masks or face coverings as they are now known as... wear them, don't where them... wash a few times a day thoroughly or wash as usual.. no wonder people are confused when venturing out of the house... All i can say is: don't live in fear...enjoy life...
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2020, 14:42 by Slasher »

VampireWombat

• Not a chupacabra
« Reply #425 on: 03 Jul 2020, 14:52 »
If it was merely a matter of confusion, I wouldn't be upset with these people. But these are people who are against it mainly on the concept that being told to wear a mask in public imposes on their freedom.

Slasher

• slasher
    •  
« Reply #426 on: 03 Jul 2020, 14:59 »
If it was merely a matter of confusion, I wouldn't be upset with these people. But these are people who are against it mainly on the concept that being told to wear a mask in public imposes on their freedom.
There's much more to it than that apparently and I for one tend to enjoy my days left ;)
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2020, 15:00 by Slasher »

Snarky

• Global Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mittens Lord
  • Private Insultant
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2018, for his numerous additions to the AGS open source ecosystem including the new Awards Ceremony client and modules
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #427 on: 03 Jul 2020, 15:01 »
There was some inconsistent and confusing advice on mask use early on in the pandemic, and of course we learn more as the crisis goes on, which causes reevaluation of some points (and there's always a tradeoff between maximum safety and what you can reasonably expect people to follow), but the best medical advice has been pretty clear and consistent for the last couple of months, and it's not all that complicated:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51205344

PlayPretend

• Head in the clouds
    • I can help with voice acting
    • PlayPretend worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #428 on: 03 Jul 2020, 16:04 »
Small victory update: the Mayor of my area stopped by our building, saw all the people without masks, and had the Governor's office call to tell everyone to mask the f*** up. Some are still being children about it but a much higher percentage are complying now.

Which is good, 'cause Wednesday the US topped 50K new cases in a day.

Sinitrena

• Mittens Serf
  • Wheel of Fate
    • I can help with translating
    • Sinitrena worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Sinitrena worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #429 on: 03 Jul 2020, 17:13 »

Ask them how they feel about old ladies walking around with their breasts out or men with their penis. After all, mandating that they wear clothes imposes on their freedom, doesn't it? Somehow, I don't think they would agree.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but I honestly can't wrap my head around this. How does wearing a mask has anything to do with freedom? If anything, it's the other way around - by not wearing a mask, people seriously impede the freedom of other people, mainly the freedom (or right) to stay alive!

VampireWombat

• Not a chupacabra
« Reply #430 on: 03 Jul 2020, 18:12 »
Ask them how they feel about old ladies walking around with their breasts out or men with their penis. After all, mandating that they wear clothes imposes on their freedom, doesn't it? Somehow, I don't think they would agree.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but I honestly can't wrap my head around this. How does wearing a mask has anything to do with freedom? If anything, it's the other way around - by not wearing a mask, people seriously impede the freedom of other people, mainly the freedom (or right) to stay alive!
I honestly have no idea where people like this draw the line. All I know is that there are certain Americans who simply think being told to wear a mask makes them defiant. One of the people said they'd have to put him in jail.

Thinking about it, the best comparison I can some up with is drunk driving. But I'd prefer not to ask their views on that subject either...

Snarky

• Global Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mittens Lord
  • Private Insultant
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2018, for his numerous additions to the AGS open source ecosystem including the new Awards Ceremony client and modules
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #431 on: 03 Jul 2020, 18:55 »
I thought this was a decent analogy:

(Thread continues, but you get the gist.)

Click'd

• Click'd worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Click'd worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #432 on: 03 Jul 2020, 19:18 »
The "thread continues" just opens a blank tab for me. I had to quote you and use the link directly.

Slasher

• slasher
    •  
« Reply #433 on: 03 Jul 2020, 19:29 »

« Reply #434 on: 03 Jul 2020, 21:41 »
1/10

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #435 on: 04 Jul 2020, 14:52 »
I mean, Chinese people didn't even have to be told to put masks on when the news broke; they just did it.

They (and other Asiatic lands) have been living with face masks since the "bird (H5) and swine (H1N1) flu" outbreaks some 10-11 years ago, some just adopted it as normal and others have them as backup for when these virus show up again. It's normal for them. Just like around 2009 and due to the possibility of it reaching us in Europe (or Denmark in particular) my then work place adopted the Ethanol hand sanitizing as normal procedure. We should sanitize when getting to work and into production, then when we went to the toilet or cantina/pause, again when we went back into production. Candy and stuff was no longer allowed to free "take", only wrapped food that you could take and so on... but we never did got an outbreak of these here... but procedure stayed in place (though it got slapped along the years and it was often that the ethanol containers were empty and took them a few days to replace - I assume they aren't now!)
Also Chinese people are used to be told what to do with little to no complain. We're not... and some people just don't accept the obvious.   (roll)

I still don't believe that their numbers are so low as they report. But that's just what I believe, I have no proof either way.

@PlayPretend, that really sucks!   :( If people want to be sick it's their right, but their rights stop where yours start! And you have the right to be healthy and not sick because of some idiots.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

PlayPretend

• Head in the clouds
    • PlayPretend worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #436 on: 05 Jul 2020, 16:48 »
Thanks for the support, it's appreciated.  I think since NY was the first US epicenter and we largely flattened the curve, everyone's inappropriately relaxing.

It's like watching an inflated balloon - we pushed a finger down on NY, so the lazy people are ignoring that the balloon is inflating everywhere else with increased pressure.

It's like watching pincers close back around us.

Slasher

• slasher
    •  
« Reply #437 on: 11 Jul 2020, 13:27 »
Soon in the UK wearing masks will be mandatory in all shops...  Why am I not surprised.. People are fighting and arguing over masks and it's like watching a comedy spectacle from pure observation.. Let's see what's up next.. You could not make this up ;)
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2020, 13:41 by Slasher »

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with proof reading
    • Danvzare worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #438 on: 11 Jul 2020, 20:17 »
Soon in the UK wearing masks will be mandatory in all shops...  Why am I not surprised.. People are fighting and arguing over masks and it's like watching a comedy spectacle from pure observation.. Let's see what's up next.. You could not make this up ;)
Heh, like that will be enforced.  (laugh)
You're supposed to wear a mask whenever you go on any public transport, but only about half of them do. At least where I live.

KyriakosCH

• Alien spiral maker
    • I can help with translating
« Reply #439 on: 13 Jul 2020, 08:50 »
Two types of DIY coronavirus masks:

1) Stupid

2) Awesome

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Patreon!  My Youtube!