Global Pandemic Lockdown

Started by Snarky, Sat 14/03/2020 11:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

I actually had a dream last night that included turning people down when they tried to shake my hand.  :-\

Babar

Quote from: manannan on Wed 25/03/2020 10:45:31
I actually had a dream last night that included turning people down when they tried to shake my hand.  :-\
Shouldn't be a dream at this point  :-D
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

KyriakosCH

Quote from: manannan on Wed 25/03/2020 10:45:31

Dreams are said to either be expressing a fear or a desire. I suppose it wasn't a desire  :=
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Crimson Wizard

I just want to stop for a moment and express the relief, finally my co-workers are turning down the habit of doing a handshake each time someone arrives to the office. No longer I have to be distracted by 10+ people wanting to shake my hand while I am trying to focus on my code.

LameNick

Today our brilliant newly elected government decided they’re going to introduce legislation to allow tracking the movement of all citizens. Its not even a heightened state of emergency thing, it just could potentially help them be more effective with mapping progression of the virus. This is a country of 5 m with 219 positive cases, I think the severity of the situation is nowhere near what would excuse stripping us of most basic liberties. I’m still stunned.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Mandle

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 25/03/2020 15:14:23
I just want to stop for a moment and express the relief, finally my co-workers are turning down the habit of doing a handshake each time someone arrives to the office. No longer I have to be distracted by 10+ people wanting to shake my hand while I am trying to focus on my code.

Did people do that? Did you have to shake hands with people you worked with every day, every day?

I'm honestly asking because I have been here in Japan over half my life and that is just not a thing we do here. I can't remember ever shaking hands with my fellow workers even when I worked at a hotel back in Australia except when I met them the first time.

Or do you mean people you haven't met before?

EDIT: I reread your post and now think you might have meant new clients and the like. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 25/03/2020 15:49:01

Did people do that? Did you have to shake hands with people you worked with every day, every day?

<...>

EDIT: I reread your post and now think you might have meant new clients and the like. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No, I mean exactly the people who work there everyday. They shake hands on arrival, and shake hands again when going home. Drives me mad.

milkanannan

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 25/03/2020 16:02:50
Quote from: Mandle on Wed 25/03/2020 15:49:01

<...>

No, I mean exactly the people who work there everyday. They shake hands on arrival, and shake hands again when going home. Drives me mad.

It's a cultural thing here (UAE), so I'm also shaking everyone's hand in the morning because that's courteous here, but...aren't you in the UK? What's up with that?

Crimson Wizard

No, I am not in UK, and ... does not matter.

Slasher

Prince Charles (uk) has tested positive for coronavirus.

https://youtu.be/e5-PftiIDd4

Joseph DiPerla

I didn't want to post this in it's own thread, but I felt it was important to post. I posted it in other sites and called the article/post; Reject a healthcare worker, reject hope. I Also called it at times "Reject a nurse, reject your hope".

Please read:

Last week I began my week being told that my hours would be reduced at work as a result of the Coronavirus. By Friday, 4 days later, I was furloughed before the reduced hours began as a result of the state I live in shutting down non-essential businesses.

My sister in law is a healthcare worker as well. She unknowingly contracted Coronavirus. Now her husband, my brother also has it. And my my mom.

During all this time, while we are dealing with the same stress that everyone in the world is probably facing(Such as having my two little girls at home home-schooling), my wife who happens to be a registered nurse in an hospital emergency room is working tirelessly to take care of patients with limited supplies and excessive patients. She had already exposed herself to multiple dangers at her hospital as a healthcare worker such as disease(Other than Covid-19), dangerous Psych patients that inappropriately touch her and threaten her, patients who are just plain old jerks that have no patience for wait time and that berate and accuse my wife constantly. Remember that car that crashed into the ER two years ago intentionally and then the person setting himself on fire? Well, that is where my wife works.. Right behind those same doors. You know your 8, 9 or 10 hour shift that you work at your office or job, well my wife works a 12 hour shift. If that wasn't enough... despite my wife having a to be exposed to this sickness, to this hatred and lack of appreciation, my wife also has the same 5 days of sick time that all of us get and God help her if she happens to be sick just one more day over that time period. She is bound by HIPPA laws, constantly threatened to be sued... It is not a glorious job.

Would you like to know what my wife has to encounter now with this Coronavirus? Imagine a fire fighter going in to a burning building but only having a face mask and fire hose. Not much protection because of the lack of supplies and face masks or coverings. You know what risks she takes? Like a fireman who puts himself at risk of death, my wife puts herself at risk of death too. From patients and illness. My wife caught both Flu A and Flu B this year from taking care of two different patients that forgot to tell her they had the flu. Yet, do you know one difference between a firefighter and a nurse? A firefighter does not bring back the fire to his home. My wife can and does at times.

Do you know what my two little daughters and I go through every day that my wife goes to work? We wait and hope that she comes home safe and that some patient who daily says he will shoot up the ER or stab her, etc.. Actually fails to fulfil that desire. You know what else? We have to wonder what we are going to catch this week or next week. With this Coronavirus my wife has practiced social distancing from us all and that means that I or my daughters haven't been able to properly hug, snuggle, hold or kiss my wife in weeks. My wife hasn't been able to visit her very sick dad who has Parkinsons disease or even be in the same room with her own 75 year old mother.

But you know the worst thing about all of this? Besides that my wife's husband(me) lost his job and she now has to be the sole provider until this all settles down, besides the fact that she exposes herself to all this and has to be apart from all of us and friends because she is a nurse??? It is the fact that my wife is not allowed to pump gas at a gas station without being harrassed, threatened or assaulted because she is recognized as a healthcare worker. Or she can't go into a store to get necessities that we as a family need because they know she is a nurse. What is really sad is that this has been happening to a large percentage of nurses and healthcare workers worldwide.

You know what? If you have done this to a healthcare worker, please realize something: You are not just a coward. You see, it is OK to be afraid. But It's NOT OK for your fear, though, to treat others badly. No, you instead are a jerk. You are denying giving people what they need just for risking their lives to help you. Next time, before you do something like that ever again, just think: It may be you with Coronavirus walking into a hospital possibly infecting the staff and other patients and... my wife.

If you are a healthcare worker, do not stand for this. Walk out of the store or gas station. Call the police. Shame the business on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Reddit, Instagram and Nextdoor.com and even report to your local news station. Do not stand for that injustice. It is OK to be afraid. It is even to an extent OK to be a coward. But it is not OK to turn people away when they are in need and it is far worse to assault them because you "Think" they are infected. Please Pass this message on!
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 25/03/2020 16:46:05
Prince Charles (uk) has tested positive for coronavirus.

https://youtu.be/e5-PftiIDd4

If prince Andrew also has it, young people are at risk  :=
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

Quote from: Joseph DiPerla on Wed 25/03/2020 18:06:32
Yet, do you know one difference between a firefighter and a nurse? A firefighter does not bring back the fire to his home.

Powerful words!

Stupot

@Joseph DiPerla - That’s a tough situation to be in, man. I’m sure your family will all pull through this. I have to admit it’s the first Ive heard about healthcare workers being mistreated because people are scared they have the virus. It’s illogical. Anyone Could have it. It’s up to individuals to take precautions and wash their hands etc, not have a go at nurses who are the real soldiers in this war. Your wife is a hero.

MiteWiseacreLives!

+1 to Stupot
Nurses should be treated like heroes, especially now.

Slasher

Joseph DiPerla

Many people act out of character when in a crises... Even so, they should show some respect.... One day they may need help from the people they mistreated..

Mouth for war

@joseph, That was quite an emotional read. Sometimes you must stop and see the individual. I remember a few years ago when they were doing road construction work, there was a picture of a man, and maybe there was a child in the picture too but i fail to remember that. There was a text underneath the man's face "Drive carefully, my dad works here" to me at least it had a huge impact although i'm not a lunatic in trafic. I didn't see construction workers anymore. I saw people's  sons,brothers and fathers. People really need to think about that when they want to act out against someone. I hope you and your family will be safe :-) and to everyone else here of course as well. Stay safe!
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

fernewelten

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 25/03/2020 16:35:59
No, I am not in UK, and ... does not matter.

Once, the British were very famous in the whole world for NOT doing any shake-hands ever. Except for the very first time they met, and that would be a very formal occasion where they went, "How do you do. â€" How do you do."

Times have changed, of course, but the concept of British workers constantly shaking hands is be still surprising. That was the reason for the question, I suppose.

Cassiebsg

Joseph that sucks.   :~(

It's not right to be blaming health care when they're doing everything humanly possible to help others at their own health risk! In fact they're the ones less likely to catch the virus, since they know and take every precaution against catching any sickness. They're trained to know what to do and how to keep clean. Unlike those idiots, who probably are the same thinking their immune and don't need to take precautions... 
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

milkanannan

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 26/03/2020 02:43:59
@Joseph DiPerla - That’s a tough situation to be in, man. I’m sure your family will all pull through this. I have to admit it’s the first Ive heard about healthcare workers being mistreated because people are scared they have the virus. It’s illogical. Anyone Could have it. It’s up to individuals to take precautions and wash their hands etc, not have a go at nurses who are the real soldiers in this war. Your wife is a hero.

I also haven't heard of healthcare workers being ostracised in this way. Reddit is expressing overwhelming praise for not only healthcare workers but also sanitation workers. Very sorry to hear your family is going through this, Joseph.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk