Global Pandemic Lockdown

Started by Snarky, Sat 14/03/2020 11:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

dactylopus

Unfortunately, I work in the television industry and my job is considered essential (although I can attest that my presence is not required for these television stations to continue to broadcast news and other important messaging).  I will have to continue going to work and putting myself at risk despite the counties in which I live and work issuing stay-at-home / shelter-in-place orders this weekend.

milkanannan

Quote from: dactylopus on Sat 28/03/2020 03:59:39
Unfortunately, I work in the television industry and my job is considered essential (although I can attest that my presence is not required for these television stations to continue to broadcast news and other important messaging).  I will have to continue going to work and putting myself at risk despite the counties in which I live and work issuing stay-at-home / shelter-in-place orders this weekend.

Are you and other workers wearing protective gear like gloves and face masks?

Slasher

I just had some guy knock my door and ask if i was ok and if i needed anything..

Some nice people about..  (nod)

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 28/03/2020 17:24:12
I just had some guy knock my door and ask if i was ok and if i needed anything..

Some nice people about..  (nod)

Hopefully his accomplice wasn't entering the apartment from the other side  :=

(let's hope this crisis ends in the near future...)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sun 29/03/2020 08:11:25

Wow. Cynical.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 29/03/2020 09:51:58
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sun 29/03/2020 08:11:25

Wow. Cynical.

I also thought that, to be honest. The German Police have warned of scams in which, for example, someone knocks at your door and claims to be testing door-to-door for Coronavirus and asking for a fee. And apparently they tend to target seniors, too. I guess it doesn't hurt to at least know about these things.

Slasher

As it happens I recognized him from a ground floor flat on my block.... But one does have to be wary..

KyriakosCH

It was only a joke :)

But yes, if you don't know the person, caution is a good idea, sadly...

ukz530

I live in South Korea. At first, it was only spreading in some countries including Korea, so I didn't worry about other countries. I'm very worried now.

In developing it as AGS, I wanted to have an event or meeting related to adventure abroad. However, the problem of racial discrimination intensified after Corona, causing the problem of assaulting Asians.
So I got scared to visit. :~(

South Korea quickly accepted and managed the seriousness of the situation in the early days of Korona, and the entire nation is cooperating to revive the situation.
I hope other countries will be stable as soon as possible and hate for race will decrease.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: ukz530 on Sun 29/03/2020 11:36:48
In developing it as AGS, I wanted to have an event or meeting related to adventure abroad. However, the problem of racial discrimination intensified after Corona, causing the problem of assaulting Asians.

I am sorry that you feel that way, what's happening now is pretty awful :( And unfortunately, it's just getting worse, everywhere. In China, the same thing seems to be happening now, with foreigners being accused of "bringing back the virus". A couple friends of mine (she's Estonian, he's Austrian) were travelling through South America when this hit, and now they're stuck in Bumfuck, Argentina, quarantined "for their own safety", as there are reports of foreigners being violently assaulted and chased off towns just for looking like they're "not from there". I myself am starting to feel kind of wary about Germans starting to take out their frustration on people like me from, um, less civilized (please read with dripping sarcasm) countries. All it takes is a spark.

I don't know about you guys, but I feel like the world has gotten a lot smaller these last few weeks...  :(

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sun 29/03/2020 12:13:19

I am sorry that you feel that way, what's happening now is pretty awful :( And unfortunately, it's just getting worse, everywhere. In China, the same thing seems to be happening now, with foreigners being accused of "bringing back the virus". A couple friends of mine (she's Estonian, he's Austrian) were travelling through South America when this hit, and now they're stuck in Bumfuck, Argentina, quarantined "for their own safety", as there are reports of foreigners being violently assaulted and chased off towns just for looking like they're "not from there". I myself am starting to feel kind of wary about Germans starting to take out their frustration on people like me from, um, less civilized (please read with dripping sarcasm) countries. All it takes is a spark.

I don't know about you guys, but I feel like the world has gotten a lot smaller these last few weeks...  :(

Already saw how Germany reacted to plans to have the EU/european central bank help the population. Still only caring about "their" money.

I think that if this keeps up for months, things may change dramatically. Furthermore, some euro countries can't even feed their own population (rely on food imports).

ukz530

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sun 29/03/2020 12:13:19

Not only Asians but also other races seem to be suffering from aversion. Terrible. :~(

it may be a little abstract,We are born in different countries, but we share and respect information with each other around AGS and point-and-click adventure games.
We have respected each other like this. I believe that other people can respect each other more.

I hope everyone of various races and countries can overcome Corona wisely.

dactylopus

Quote from: manannan on Sat 28/03/2020 04:42:44
Are you and other workers wearing protective gear like gloves and face masks?
The company does not provide either, and both are hard to find in stores.  I do have a few boxes of my own gloves, and a single mask that I happened to have at home for woodworking.  The company was actually out of disinfecting wipes for all of last week as well.  Luckily I had some at home to use to wipe down my workstation.  Due to the way things are set up in my working area, social distancing of 6 feet is a joke.  At best, we are 3-4 feet apart.

I just hope that the Hazard Pay bill working its way through Congress will get approved to make this a little more worthwhile, but I think that will only include workers likely to be in direct contact with the virus.  I've considered staying home without pay, but I need a new AC unit and summer is coming!

milkanannan

I know this has been shared a lot as of late, but Bill Gates' 2015 TED talk is pretty interesting:

milkanannan

Just got back from Carrefour. Everyone wearing masks. You are now given plastic gloves and a spray of disinfectant on the way in, another spray on the way out. Still very orderly ~ I hope it stays that way.

LimpingFish

I went shopping, and was the only person wearing a mask. The supermarket has complimentary gloves and hand sanitizer, though, along with perspex dividers to protect the workers at the checkouts, so hopefully people have been taking advantage of it.

Also, I'm pretty drunk at the mo'...I mean, fuck, what else is there to do!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Mandle

Quote from: LimpingFish on Tue 31/03/2020 02:30:37
I went shopping, and was the only person wearing a mask.

They said it was okay to go shopping with only a mask and gloves... But when I got there everyone else was wearing clothes.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 31/03/2020 03:42:23
Quote from: LimpingFish on Tue 31/03/2020 02:30:37
I went shopping, and was the only person wearing a mask.

They said it was okay to go shopping with only a mask and gloves... But when I got there everyone else was wearing clothes.

:=

cat

Masks in supermarkets will be mandatory here from tomorrow. I really hope this is some kind of "educating people to wear masks" thing and if it works, they will open other shops as well when you wear a mask.

However, gloves are really pointless. I mean, does it really matter if you touch all things (including your nose) with a glove instead of your hand? Gloves are only useful if you constantly change them. Just wash your hands and you will be fine.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: cat on Tue 31/03/2020 08:22:03
However, gloves are really pointless. I mean, does it really matter if you touch all things (including your nose) with a glove instead of your hand? Gloves are only useful if you constantly change them. Just wash your hands and you will be fine.

Gloves are meant to protect others, not you. You might be infected without knowing it, and if you go around touching stuff at the grocery store, opening doors, or paying in cash (which we shouldn't be doing anyway, but sometimes it happens, like if you want to tip your grocery delivery person or whatever) then you're spreading it to others. Gloves help with that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk