Global Pandemic Lockdown

Started by Snarky, Sat 14/03/2020 11:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Most masks (certaintly "surgical" type masks) are also only for protecting others, though.

Which is why this is my mask:

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

cat

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Tue 31/03/2020 08:53:52
Gloves are meant to protect others, not you. You might be infected without knowing it, and if you go around touching stuff at the grocery store, opening doors, or paying in cash (which we shouldn't be doing anyway, but sometimes it happens, like if you want to tip your grocery delivery person or whatever) then you're spreading it to others. Gloves help with that.

No, it does not matter if I wear gloves or not. The virus will stick to gloves as well, just like on hands. In fact, wearing gloves makes it MORE likely to spread something, because people feel save with gloves and take less care about hygiene. You would have to constantly change them to be safe.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: cat on Tue 31/03/2020 09:19:11
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Tue 31/03/2020 08:53:52
Gloves are meant to protect others, not you. You might be infected without knowing it, and if you go around touching stuff at the grocery store, opening doors, or paying in cash (which we shouldn't be doing anyway, but sometimes it happens, like if you want to tip your grocery delivery person or whatever) then you're spreading it to others. Gloves help with that.

No, it does not matter if I wear gloves or not. The virus will stick to gloves as well, just like on hands. In fact, wearing gloves makes it MORE likely to spread something, because people feel save with gloves and take less care about hygiene. You would have to constantly change them to be safe.

I fail to see the problem here. Wash your hands, put on your gloves, go outside. Now the gloves are protecting surfaces and other people from your germs, since the latex/neoprene forms a relatively effective barrier to keep you from spreading crap. Get back home, throw the gloves in the trash, wash hands.

And the idea that it's more likely to spread stuff because you think you're safe wearing gloves also applies to bike helmets (people tend to act more imprudently when they're wearing them), but nobody's saying that they're useless or that we should ban helmets, but rather educate people on their use instead.

Babar

It is my understanding that the virus is spread through respiratory droplets (so coughing, sneezing, spitting, etc.), being breathed in, swallowed, entering the bloodstream, going into the eyes.
In that sense, I'm not sure wearing gloves (even for as short a time as going out to the market) really helps: You'd be touching door-knobs, shaking hands, patting(?), then touching your face and eyes and breathing in those droplets (or other people would be then touching their faces and breathing in YOUR droplets). Whether or not you wear gloves won't change this.

If everyone was wearing gloves, goggles and a face-mask when they go out, then when they come back in, throw away their gloves/mask and wash their goggles, it would make more sense.

If I'm wrong in this understanding, feel free to correct me.

EDIT: I suppose handing out disposable gloves at the supermarket would help in situations where you might be infected/have come into contact with the virus somewhere on your hands, you wear the gloves, do all your shopping, DON'T touch your eyes or cough into your gloves/wipe droplets with them/sneeze into them, interact with someone else who might have the virus, and then throw them away once done. So they're not useless, but I feel a better system should probably be put into place.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

KyriakosCH

You are supposed to buy those (one use gloves), in a box. I use them, although I doubt it makes much of a difference - given the virus is airborne anyway.
Also, I have to suppose that I was already infected weeks ago, and in that case over it.

Babar

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 31/03/2020 11:46:07
You are supposed to buy those (one use gloves), in a box. I use them, although I doubt it makes much of a difference - given the virus is airborne anyway.
Also, I have to suppose that I was already infected weeks ago, and in that case over it.
From what I understand, the virus isn't airborne, it is transferred through droplets. I mean, it COULD become airborne (e.g. someone sneezes into the air, and the thus aerosolises the virus, and then you breathe in that air before it settles on some surface), but that wouldn't be the usual way it would be transferred.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Babar on Tue 31/03/2020 11:05:55
You'd be touching door-knobs, shaking hands, patting(?), then touching your face and eyes and breathing in those droplets (or other people would be then touching their faces and breathing in YOUR droplets). Whether or not you wear gloves won't change this.

Well yeah, but the point is for you to remember not to touch your face while you're out and about :-D In fact, wearing gloves simply could work as a reminder in many cases.

milkanannan

Quote from: Babar on Tue 31/03/2020 11:55:18
From what I understand, the virus isn't airborne, it is transferred through droplets. I mean, it COULD become airborne (e.g. someone sneezes into the air, and the thus aerosolises the virus, and then you breathe in that air before it settles on some surface), but that wouldn't be the usual way it would be transferred.

But see this is exactly why gloves and masks one EVERYONE is critical. The idea is that if everyone participates, those that are ill (perhaps unknowingly --it can take days for symptoms to develop) are less likely to pass it to others. The gloves and masks help keep the germs localised to the infected person.

KyriakosCH

I do not know - the local experts say that there are droplets in the air, so people should not go out unless they have a set thing to do. I assume they do not mean from someone having sneezed/coughed a short while ago (?).

Not that the ban is working that much here. It used to, when the weather was garbage, but for a couple of days it was hot so you see more people outside.

Babar

Quote from: manannan on Tue 31/03/2020 12:14:30

But see this is exactly why gloves and masks one EVERYONE is critical. The idea is that if everyone participates, those that are ill (perhaps unknowingly --it can take days for symptoms to develop) are less likely to pass it to others. The gloves and masks help keep the germs localised to the infected person.
But if I am wearing gloves and a mask, and go to the supermarket, rub my eyes, then touch a shopping cart, then someone does something similar in reverse, the gloves and masks haven't helped anything. I agree that they do help in terms of reminders, but if everyone just didn't touch their face, we'd all be good anyways.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 31/03/2020 12:42:24
I do not know - the local experts say that there are droplets in the air, so people should not go out unless they have a set thing to do. I assume they do not mean from someone having sneezed/coughed a short while ago (?).
Social Isolation isn't advocated for because outside is dangerous, it is because being around other people is dangerous.

KyriakosCH

^Yes, which is fine by me - I am very introverted anyway & get most of my pay from creating online seminars. Although I hear that the lock-downs etc happen mostly to prevent mass numbers of sick flooding the hospitals, which would just cause a lot more deaths.

A month ago I did get sick, and it was quite serious (I never got sick like that before). It may have been partly caused by coronavirus, but maybe not. At any rate, I am recovering. Sadly for me it is terrible to stay where I am, and was about to move to my apartment again when this virus crisis started.

Cassiebsg

It's not airborne.
If it was then keeping a distance of 1 to 2 meters from other wouldn't do anything. Plexiglass on the shops would do nothing also, since the virus would just float/fly around it. Opening the window would let it in. If it was airborne we would be in a lot deeper hole.  8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 31/03/2020 16:29:14
It's not airborne.
If it was then keeping a distance of 1 to 2 meters from other wouldn't do anything. Plexiglass on the shops would do nothing also, since the virus would just float/fly around it. Opening the window would let it in. If it was airborne we would be in a lot deeper hole.  8-0

Thanks for the info. I suppose the "droplets in the air" was about some trace left under specific weather conditions or similar (?).
Anyway, when I go out I do keep at least a 2 meter distance, though I noticed most others don't bother and will pass you within half a metre or such.

Babar

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 31/03/2020 16:54:31
Thanks for the info. I suppose the "droplets in the air" was about some trace left under specific weather conditions or similar (?).
Anyway, when I go out I do keep at least a 2 meter distance, though I noticed most others don't bother and will pass you within half a metre or such.
Just start coughing. That should scare them away  :=

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Babar on Tue 31/03/2020 17:58:28
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 31/03/2020 16:54:31
Just start coughing. That should scare them away  :=

:=

Mandle

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 31/03/2020 03:42:23
They said it was okay to go shopping with only a mask and gloves... But when I got there everyone else was wearing clothes.

I'd just like to point out that I posted this originally as a joke.

Ponch

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 31/03/2020 22:13:12
They said it was okay to go shopping with only a mask and gloves... But when I got there everyone else was wearing clothes.

It's too late to hide your shame, Mandle!  :=

Mandle

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 01/04/2020 04:08:45
Quote from: Mandle on Tue 31/03/2020 22:13:12

It's too late to hide your shame, Mandle!  :=

(laugh) (laugh) (laugh)

TripTilt

Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh_9Sxp7hmg

check the video description for a message from cuterona!!!

[close]

milkanannan

So how is everyone keeping busy from home these days?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk