Global Pandemic Lockdown

Started by Snarky, Sat 14/03/2020 11:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

MiteWiseacreLives!

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 02/04/2020 17:36:48
If it was up to me, I would classify those offenses as terrorism, since that's what they're doing, causing you "terror".
I’m told some have been charged quite severely for this, think it was in US not here in Canada..
I’m still working a bunch in a grocery store but on one of my quiet days off I did some tinkering. Did you know the original Genesis/Mega Drive has great stereo sound and rgb picture locked away (sort of mildly so)? I already modded my old TV with a scart input previously but on Monday I rewired my genesis so that it outputs stereo through the 8? pin port on the back and rewiring my scart cable. A little switch will send either the original ugly composite signal to #2 or the right stereo channel which my cable sends to the tv. Yay! Played a game for 20 minutes after a couple hours of messing around, I feel accomplishment  (nod)

Khris

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 02/04/2020 09:44:53Junkies in the 80's would do exactly that, threatening you with bloody syringes and saying they had AIDS. I'm not exactly thrilled to see the same thing happening again.
Afaik that's just an urban legend :)

Matti

Quote from: Khris on Fri 03/04/2020 12:09:15
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 02/04/2020 09:44:53Junkies in the 80's would do exactly that, threatening you with bloody syringes and saying they had AIDS. I'm not exactly thrilled to see the same thing happening again.

Yep.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Matti on Fri 03/04/2020 12:27:54
Quote from: Khris on Fri 03/04/2020 12:09:15

Yep.

Errr that article has nothing to do with what I was talking about. I don't know about any urban legend concerning "madmen jamming needles into random people at public places", I'm talking about simple muggings in which a junkie would walk up to you and threaten you with a needle instead of a knife, which were extremely common in my city and I know it's not an "urban legend" because it literally happened to me and my mom. So yeah.

Edit: even the article points out that robberies like these did take place: "Robberies have been carried out by syringe-wielding robbers who claim to be armed with the AIDS virus and willing to stick anyone who gets in their way with the infected needle. It has to be stressed that though various robbers and muggers have claimed to have been so armed, thus far this has never proved out to be anything more than an empty threat. All syringes so employed have tested out as perfectly clean. Even so, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that claiming to be armed with an AIDS-tainted needle would generate a lot of cooperation from the people you’re trying to rob."

Khris

Oh, sorry, that's horrible! Maybe I should've read further :-[

Matti

Slasher

My Granddaughter Lexie (8) playing in the garden during the so-called 'Lockdown'

https://youtu.be/ScuJr57tn9o

Mandle

LOL!!!! Hardly precocious at all!!!

milkanannan

Never in my adult life have I lost track of the day of the week, but here we are. Woke up and was unsure whether I should be getting ready for 'work' (Microsoft Teams) or not. Yep, was a workday. Logged in on time. Shirt and tie from the waist up. Was a 'normal' day.  :-\

Well I'm off to have my hundredth cup of coffee. Hope the rest of you are doing OK.

Cassiebsg

It's normal work day here, Thursday is a holiday.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 09/04/2020 06:26:33

I spent her early years teaching her all aspects of life....even sums, words, shapes,puzzles, games and she has turned out very bright and imaginative and even performs her Lexie video shows we make with her singing, dancing and telling stories.. She is using Lockdown to be inventive..

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 09/04/2020 18:58:53
Quote from: Mandle on Thu 09/04/2020 06:26:33

I spent her early years teaching her all aspects of life...

You did an amazing job. What a charming and delightfully annoying little bright spark!!!

I predict her YouTube channel will explode and then you'll all have to deal with a precocious little lady who has millions of dollars and is able to handle her own investments. purchases, and taxes.

Forget about "Mummy, I want a pony!". It's gonna be "Oh, and Mammaas, just so you know, I made some purchases yesterday. My new driver will be by at 10 to take me to my new farm to ride my new ponies."

LimpingFish

Well, that was some week...

This is the first time I've logged onto the forums since...last Wednesday? Thursday? Hell, this is the first time I've sat down at a computer since then!

I'll just say this: Never underestimate how quickly a stressful situation can snowball into a total shit-show.

Things seem to be back to normal now, or as normal as things can get at the moment.

:-\

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

milkanannan

I actually miss endless Brexit reporting.  :-X

Gilbert

Or, how Trump becoming president was like the end of world...
Wait... Maybe you can continue with that...

milkanannan

Quote from: Gilbert on Sat 11/04/2020 08:27:18
Or, how Trump becoming president was like the end of world...
Wait... Maybe you can continue with that...

(laugh)

Blondbraid

I think the worst part of the whole situation is just who isolated one feels. I was already spending my days sitting at home by myself with my computer as company
for more than a year before this whole virus thing started, and I can tell you, you might do OK for a few weeks or months, but when it goes on for longer this sort of stuff really¨
does a number on your mental health, and your energy gets drained. I know many have criticized the Swedish policy for not shutting everything down and having straight up curfews,
but being able to go outside and doing something as simple as buying a treat from the store have been one of the few things that's helped me stay sane.

Anyone else worried we might see a spike in depression rates if this goes on for longer?

milkanannan

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 11/04/2020 10:16:51
I think the worst part of the whole situation is just who isolated one feels. I was already spending my days sitting at home by myself with my computer as company
for more than a year before this whole virus thing started, and I can tell you, you might do OK for a few weeks or months, but when it goes on for longer this sort of stuff really¨
does a number on your mental health, and your energy gets drained. I know many have criticized the Swedish policy for not shutting everything down and having straight up curfews,
but being able to go outside and doing something as simple as buying a treat from the store have been one of the few things that's helped me stay sane.

Anyone else worried we might see a spike in depression rates if this goes on for longer?

I've also been wondering about the long-term implications for societies if this carries on for the rest of 2020 and beyond. The problem is the likelihood of periodic states of re-quarantine (like we're seeing in parts of China at the moment). Those living in poverty or near poverty, and especially those in societies with little or no social safety net, are going to be increasingly unable to weather the storm (3 months? OK. 18 months on-off quarantine? Not so OK.) I don't mean to sound sensationalist, but it does remind me a bit of the narrative from 'The Purge', where essentially anyone who doesn't have the financial means to defend themselves is many times more likely to fall into desperation or victim to the virus --and society will largely grow to accept this as the new normal. Trump's complete cock-up of the US's response, particularly in NYC, is just a taster of what could be a much more widespread and society-defining phenomenon.

Cassiebsg

Also wondering what the implications of the South Korean's patients that were declared healthy, now are back at being infected.  8-0 Seems like the virus took a nap and wasn't defeated at all. What does that mean for our society? Also cat can get infected, so there's another potential source of infection spreading right there.  :-\

And yes. I do think if this keeps on,  that we will start seeing increasing  depression and mental health problems in a lot of people, specially those that live alone but are very social in their normal day. 
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk