Global Pandemic Lockdown

Started by Snarky, Sat 14/03/2020 11:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

There is no doubt that very soon we will have a different world,  let's hope it is all good  (nod)

Don't shun me just because I'm asking questions, pushing the envelope and looking down the rabbit hole..

KyriakosCH

Well, it isn't out of the question that worse will follow. I mean the global situation wasn't exactly great even before the coronavirus.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 29/04/2020 11:54:10
Don't shun me just because I'm asking questions, pushing the envelope and looking down the rabbit hole...

Don't look down rabbit holes on the internet. They are NOT research nor will they ever lead you to any real truth.

If you can find a conspiracy theory on the internet then you can be guaranteed that it is nonsense and that somebody is profiting from the ignorance of the people who follow it.

If there was actually a grand conspiracy going on, the last place someone would whistle-blow it is on the fucking internet.

They would just go to the regular news outlets and divulge it there.

The internet is too full of bullshit for any kernel of truth about an actual conspiracy to have any chance of survival.

Slasher

Hi Mandle.

Who controls and has funded the mainstream media that you so believe in?

Doctors and scientist that have questioned were told to 'Shut up'..

Take it easy ;)

Khris

Quote from: blur on Tue 28/04/2020 17:14:06
In crisis like this it is always a good thing to let off some steam by insulting someone who is wrong.
Indeed.

slasher:
Since you apparently believe pretty much anything you read or hear online, make sure you also give this a read, in order to get a fuller picture. Note that like in other reputable wikis, everything you'll read there is fully sourced (contrary to many BS-spreading outlets).

(Also, an this should go without saying: people who are skeptical about random online BS do not necessarily believe anything they read in mainstream media. In fact, most people who have learned not to trust random online BS apply the same critical thinking to any claim/source.)

Slasher

Quote from: Khris on Wed 29/04/2020 13:24:35
Quote from: blur on Tue 28/04/2020 17:14:06
In crisis like this it is always a good thing to let off some steam by insulting someone who is wrong.
Indeed.

(laugh)

Slasher

Going back to our original topic...

During this Lockdown I am reading a book (first in ages).. It's called Medusa (fiction) by Clive Cussler... I am up to page 60 of 517.. Hopefully keep me engrossed for a while ;)

Snarky

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 29/04/2020 11:54:10
There is no doubt that very soon we will have a different world,  let's hope it is all good  (nod)

Don't shun me just because I'm asking questions, pushing the envelope and looking down the rabbit hole..

Actually, I'd like you to stop being coy and just come out and say what you mean. Make a testable prediction: What is going to happen in the next few months that the media doesn't want us to know about?

And then we'll see, by the end of the year or whatever, whether you were right.

'Cause I'm sick of what has become the MO of so much conspiracy theory-mongering: insinuate, "ask questions", but never outright say what it is you're suggesting, probably because that way (1) it would become evident just how batshit the theory is, and (2) what you say could be disproved. If you're going to insult us by calling us sheep and wondering what we'll say when our grandchildren ask what we did "when this was all happening," you at least should have the courage to stand by your theory about what is happening.

Slasher

Hi Snarky,

Thanks Snarky for your frank response..

Whatever I say or predict here would not be believed as many believe in what is happening to be as per governments / mainstream media and believe the figures of reported deaths from a virus to be true, indeed a virus does exist in itself but the figures are not the true figures.

If you want candid, straight talk I will do it only by PM... Not here..

Thanks Snarky... Take it easy..

I am on page 120 of the book i'm reading ;)

Snarky

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 29/04/2020 16:32:30

Fine, if that's how you want it.

As for lockdown activities, I've succumbed to the peer pressure and done some baking. (Had a yearning for skolebrød, and since I'm not going to the bakery…) Except the stores are out of yeast, so first I had to grow my own (following the instructions making the rounds on Twitter etc.: mix fruit juice and flour and let ferment). It worked, but it took six hours for the dough to rise. Glad I started in the morning.

Slasher

Baking?

I must buy you an apron  (laugh)

Yarr, watching dough rise is no fun  ;)

Hope the taste is worth it  ;)

Still, keeps you busy and out of trouble (laugh)

Mandle

Whatever I say or predict here would not be believed as many believe in what is happening to be as per governments / mainstream media and believe the figures of reported deaths from a virus to be true, indeed a virus does exist in itself but the figures are not the true figures.

Is it the plot to keep everyone inside while 5G is installed? Or maybe the one where the asteroid is going to hit the Earth (possibly today) and we all die from that, and the governments all decided we should stay with our families for the short remaining time we have left?

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 29/04/2020 18:45:06

Is it the plot to keep everyone inside while 5G is installed? Or maybe the one where the asteroid is going to hit the Earth (possibly today) and we all die from that, and the governments all decided we should stay with our families for the short remaining time we have left?

I sense sarcasm

You're the one with the big theories...  tell me, Prof. Mandle 8-0

Crimson Wizard

I have a more pragmatic conspiracy theory: it's a plot by the food delivery companies to conquer the market.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 29/04/2020 17:54:08

Fine, if that's how you want it.

As for lockdown activities, I've succumbed to the peer pressure and done some baking. (Had a yearning for skolebrød, and since I'm not going to the bakery…) Except the stores are out of yeast, so first I had to grow my own (following the instructions making the rounds on Twitter etc.: mix fruit juice and flour and let ferment). It worked, but it took six hours for the dough to rise. Glad I started in the morning.
I've tried making some simple cakes recently, this one in particular, though I haven't found an English version of it to share yet.
More people stuck indoors could try learning to make new things.

Slasher

What a lovely cake. Yummy ;)

Well, those home food deliveries are in their elements ;)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 29/04/2020 18:56:53
Quote from: Mandle on Wed 29/04/2020 18:45:06

I sense sarcasm

You're the one with the big theories...  tell me, Prof. Mandle 8-0

It wasn't sarcasm, and they aren't my theories. They are just the main ones I've heard being bandied around on the internet.

There's also the one that this is a deliberate attempt at population control by some shady behind-the-scenes Illuminati and several more versions of the 5G insanity.

None of these are viable in reality though. The virus IS related to the overpopulation issue though, but that's just a natural consequence of overpopulation. The same thing happens in the animal kingdom when one species overpopulates. They either starve or get hit with a sickness that whacks their numbers back down. It's just a natural result of overcrowding.

cat

@Snarky
I just looked up skolebrød and it looks delicious. How did yours turn out?
I think watching dough rise is amazing, a bit like putting seeds in soil and waiting for the plant to grow.
Is yeast the new toilet paper? It's also not available here as well, but just the regular small packs. You can get 500g packs or the supermarket will sell cut up slices of those packs.
I still buy bread and pastries at local bakeries because I want to support them (they are already suffering since they can't deliver to restaurants etc atm) and I still love to eat nice stuff.

@Blondbraid
Sounds delicious! I don't eat chocolate, but maybe I should make some kanelbullar next weekend. You usually don't get them here (and IKEA is closed as well)

Luckily, next week the rest of the stores + shopping centers are going to open here. I'm looking much forward to it, because I need some important stuff and had some bad experience with mail order recently. Also restaurants will finally open mid May.

KyriakosCH

Is Britain set to become #2 in deaths? I hadn't followed the news there for a week, and was alarmed by the current number of dead.
Boris sure botched everything up - it's what you get for voting in this clown...
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Andail

As many have noticed, Sweden is taking a very different route here.
I don't want to be another hobby epidemiologist, so I'll just try to convey what the Swedish authorities are doing and saying.

1. We don't think this is a hoax, or exaggerated. We all believe it's very real. We don't congregate and rally to protest the restrictions, like the American rednecks. A vast majority of Swedes actually take a lot of distancing measures.
2. Tegnell isn't a manic street preacher. He's the spokesperson of the national health agency. It has hundreds of scientists and experts.
3. The fundamental idea, based on their simulations and models, is that voluntary social distancing works pretty much as effectively as a hard lockdown. Whether this will turn out true or false is impossible to say at this early phase, but the numbers are quite alarming.
4. A complete lockdown has a number of bad side effects, like increased domestic abuse, children removed from the safety net of society, isolation fatigue and depressions, etc. Can you say it's worth it? Hard to know at this point. But we Swedes have a strong belief in the system.
5. We're doing much worse than our Nordic neighbours, but quite average in a larger perspective. We're not in the top ten when it comes to deaths per capita. We've also reported more deaths than most countries, and Sweden is one of few nations that haven't underreported our deaths.
6. I'm personally a bit divided, and I definitely think there are some areas where restrictions could be much harsher.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk