Global Pandemic Lockdown

Started by Snarky, Sat 14/03/2020 11:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbWire

To slightly misquote the poet, Robert Browning - 'Oh to be in England now
coronavirus is here.'

A large percentage of the population have turned into complete morons.

Thieves, as Slasher pointed out, are stealing anything they can get their
hands on while fly tippers, are out in force, ruining the countryside.

Day trippers, who normally would be invading every other country at this
time of year (you have my sympathy) are now swarming over our resorts,
leaving unmentionable packages in their wake, because very few public
toilets are open, and are now fighting on the beaches. ( Sounds like the
second world war, though certainly not as honorable) I just despair.  :angry:  :sad:

milkanannan

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 02/06/2020 12:45:05
Quote from: milkanannan on Tue 02/06/2020 12:13:58
...you go one day...

What's a "day"? I forgot what that word means.

Lol so true. I sort of feel like the last two months have been one long, unending 'day'.

Slasher

From the 17th June in the UK everyone will need to wear a mask before they can get on public transport..   I'm still waiting for more ease on the lock down..

Khris

Are you aware that the UK currently has more daily cases/deaths than the 27 EU members combined?
You should be glad that the clowns and wingnuts that run your country are buckling under the pressure of reality and slowly coming to their senses.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 08/06/2020 15:06:56
From the 17th June in the UK everyone will need to wear a mask before they can get on public transport..

I wish my government would put something similar in place here, but they seem determined never to go beyond "recommending" people wear them.

We entered what they're calling "Phase Two" of beginning to lift our lockdown today, and all retail outlets with street-level storefronts re-opened for business (shopping centers will re-open next week). While social-distancing rules will stay in effect (limiting customer numbers, browsing, etc), and shops will be outfitted with hand-sanitizer stations and whatnot, masks are not universally required (though a lot of shops are outfitting staff with face guards and such).

I was pretty disappointed with the low number of mask-wearing members of the public I could see, especially among the 18-30ish age group. :-\

Personally, I'll be wearing one for the foreseeable future.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Stupot

It’s funny that people wait until they’re told they haveto do something that they already know might be good for them.

Crimson Wizard

Do the masks really help on regular basis? I'm still in big doubts in regards to their efficiency. Supposedly you get into contact with the virus, it may end up anywhere on your face including parts not covered with mask, and your hair. Don't think people disinfect these places when coming home. I am not even talking about the rest of the body, clothes etc.
Also, what happens when a person lowers the mask down to their chin (and I've seen many do when they are in the open area)? Again, supposedly the virus ended up on the mask's tissue surface, would not a blow of a wind or a simply an inhale potentially get it on your exposed nose/mouth?

I also have a breathing problem with the mask, idk how others do, but I have a chronic nose condition (rinithis it's called?), and when wearing mask especially in a building I soon start to feel not well.

Actually, my skepticism towards this self-quaranteen mostly comes from how loosely and undecisively it's implemented in my country. Basically, country goverment just said "each region decides for itself". So I heard there are some ultra-strict laws in Moscow which frankly shocked me when I heard about them (things like you need some registration paper or card to move in certain areas, and these are actually checked by police or subway security). Where I live city administration issued a regulation around early May, saying that people must wear masks and gloves when going to a store, transport, or another crowded place. Many people, including me (not going to lie), just wear masks before entering the store, and put them of on the street. And frankly, I've never seen a single person in gloves yet. But I work from home and don't use public transport, so idk how things are there.
From my personal observation, where I live like 1/3 of people are wearing masks on streets, but this varies, sometimes you see a lot, and sometimes none.

Sinitrena

Masks are less to protect the person wearing them from the virus other people could give them, but the other way around. They are to keep the virus in the person who already has it. When you breath or talk, spit and air leaves your body and with it the virus. The masks stop this. By wearing a mask, you mainly protect others and to a small amount yourself.

Which should make all of us pretty angry when we see people not wearing masks properly (as in, only over their mouth but not their nose, pulling it down to speak or something, ...)

Khris

Unless we're talking about special protective masks, the basic ones you're supposed to wear in public don't protect you but other people from you.
They work exactly like the ones surgeons wear: they protect the outside (in this case the insides) from droplets emitted by the person wearing the mask.

Got ninja'd by Sinitrena, so I'll use this post for the pee meme:

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Sinitrena on Tue 09/06/2020 00:14:52
Masks are less to protect the person wearing them from the virus other people could give them, but the other way around. They are to keep the virus in the person who already has it. When you breath or talk, spit and air leaves your body and with it the virus. The masks stop this. By wearing a mask, you mainly protect others and to a small amount yourself.

Yes, this is the only good explanation I see.

My general impression still is that because all this was implemented so loosely, this virus is likely near everywhere already...

Snarky

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 09/06/2020 00:02:50
Do the masks really help on regular basis? I'm still in big doubts in regards to their efficiency. Supposedly you get into contact with the virus, it may end up anywhere on your face including parts not covered with mask, and your hair. Don't think people disinfect these places when coming home. I am not even talking about the rest of the body, clothes etc.
Also, what happens when a person lowers the mask down to their chin (and I've seen many do when they are in the open area)? Again, supposedly the virus ended up on the mask's tissue surface, would not a blow of a wind or a simply an inhale potentially get it on your exposed nose/mouth?

In addition to what Sinitrena and Khris say, it's also about probabilities. A mask is not 100%. Nobody said it was. But if it can cut your risk of being infected even just by say 20%, that still seems worth it to me.

The virus can really only infect you if it gets inside your respiratory system â€" so: via your nose and mouth. (Some say the eyes as well, but that sounds very much like a "we haven't 100% ruled it out" proposition to me.) If the mask stops you from inhaling some virus droplets, that means those droplets haven't (yet) had a chance of infecting you.

If the droplet are still stuck in the mask (conceivably they might be blown away again when you exhale), or on your body or clothes, then sure, there's a chance you may transfer them into your nose or mouth later on. But only a chance. The virus can't reproduce outside our body, and each droplet only contains a few viruses (this article suggests that there might be about 7 viruses per droplet, if similar to flu or cold), so it's not like it will spread everywhere. And it doesn't last forever. (The numbers given for how long it can "survive" on surfaces or in the air doesn't mean it always does last that long. Again, probabilities.)

Stupot

When this was all kicking off, I was one of the people saying “masks don’t do nuffink” almost sneeringly at the people around me. But you only have to look at the numbers. I was certain that Japan was going to follow behind the UK in terms of numbers but it just didn’t happen. Even if you take into account some inevitable manipulation of the data, the numbers have still been really low. So it’s hard to believe that the mask-wearing culture hasn’t had some influence. I now wear a mask on the train and at work, but I still allow myself a little sneer at people who still wear masks when they are alone, miles from anyone.

It must be said that the Japanese tend to have a lot of weird beliefs when it comes to health. My company is making us wear this “Virus Away” blocker which has been banned in multiple countries and is clearly a scam, but they refuse to check anything, especially if it’s “MADE IN JAPAN”

Mandle

Stu, the "Virus Away" actually works.
It visually alerts the people around the wearer that he or she is a gullible dumbass which discourages people from wanting to approach and speak with the wearer, thus cutting down the rate of spread of the virus.

Stupot

Haha. Well I’m flat out refusing to wear a bleach necklace. My company has bought these magic poison necklaces and told our students via the website (before telling us) that they’d be making us teachers wear them. Oh and despite presumably spending money on these they still expect us to provide our own masks.

Mandle

Oh, the shane of it all. THE SHANE!!!

cat

Public transport is one of the few occasions where masks could be useful. If I understand correctly, our government is finally making the mask wearing rules less strict next week or so. You then only have to wear a mask in public transport, at the doctor's or in pharmacies, but not in regular supermarkets or shops.
I have to get some stuff from a local shopping center, but I'm waiting until mask rules are lifted there. Not being able to take off the mask when leaving a store makes me really uncomfortable.

And I also sneer at people who wear masks outside when walking their dogs or driving in their car alone.

milkanannan

I wear one anytime I’m outside my home, even when I go jogging. It’s not a difficult concept to understand. There are times you inadvertently are around other humans (passing by other joggers, people passing as they get in/out an elevator, etc). If everyone’s in a mask, we’re keeping our droplets to ourselves. I scowl at those that still (STILL?!) refuse to admit masks make a significant difference.

eri0o

The reason I wear masks alone in my car is because once I put it on my face I don't touch my face unless I have returned home and properly cleaned my hands and then I remove the mask. So yeah, if I am going to get groceries, since I need to put a mask to get to my car - all the way from apartment to the garage where the car is located where I meet multiple people - I will keep it on until I am back.

I have never been able to touch much of my face since it would result in my acne getting worse, so I am used to not touching it since I was a kid. The reason I am mentioning is because I noticed for some people not touching your face is apparently something hard for some reason.

Most people I interacted are ok with everyone using a mask.

milkanannan

Quote from: eri0o on Tue 09/06/2020 14:48:29
The reason I wear masks alone in my car is because once I put it on my face I don't touch my face unless I have returned home and properly cleaned my hands and then I remove the mask.

Yeah absolutely. I think people don't realise just how much you end up touching your face in a given day without really thinking about it.

Cassiebsg

Being in a country (Denmark) were masks aren't mandatory and aren't even recommended (as long as you hold the distance, cough into your arm and sanitize your hands regularly), I'm not wearing one, not even when shopping. The numbers seems to indicate that masks aren't really essential (or the entire country just been  lucky). I would likely wear them if I was in a place with a lot of people and distancing was a problem.

I do get the "idea" behind the masks though.

Yesterday there was one of those BLM demonstrations in Copenhagen with thousands of people gathered... only about 5-10% wore face masks...  8-0 I now expect the numbers of infected, death and in hospital (that have been dropping since we started opening up the society about 1,5 month ago) to get up again in about 1 to 2 weeks...  :-\

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk