Global Pandemic Lockdown

Started by Snarky, Sat 14/03/2020 11:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Creamy on Tue 16/06/2020 19:37:41
QuoteYeah... I worked in the travel industry. It's been a bloodbath.
For the travel industry or for people who dared to fire you?

Shhh. We don't talk about that here.

Quote from: Creamy on Tue 16/06/2020 19:37:41
Thanks to the COVID, I now have my very own cosplay of the Sanitarium guy:

(Off-topic: Sanitarium is one of the few games I remember with real nostalgia. What a ride that was.)

LimpingFish

Quote from: cat on Tue 16/06/2020 08:40:27
Yesterday was the first day where no masks are required in shops (except for pharmacies). I went to a shopping center because I had to make a complaint and it was packed (considering it was Monday noon!). Out of all the customers maybe 10 or so were still wearing a mask. Also most shop assistants were not wearing masks anymore.

One of our biggest department stores opened yesterday, and the queues were insane. The police actually had to ask the shop to open earlier than planned because of the amount of people that showed up. Some had been waiting, with small children in tow, since 4am! It wasn't like some fantastic sale was on, either. No masks, minimal social-distancing, though at least the store was outfitted with hand-sanitizer and such. But...

A friend who manages a store for a fashion brand, one that has supplied staff with face shields and perspex dividers at checkouts, and has a compulsory hand-sanitizer rule for all customers, told me about two particular customers who, when stopped at the door, asked if the hand-sanitizer was indeed compulsory. Upon being informed that yes it was, they looked at each other, smiled and said "Thanks, but we won't bother then." And they turned around and left.

I just don't understand.

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 16/06/2020 17:37:51
I gotta say I rarely experience anyone being malicious around here.

Yeah, same here. At the start of the pandemic, we had idiots thinking it was funny to cough on people, and we had the odd headcase losing it on a public street, but, all in all, people are allowed to deal with the situation in peace.

I'm still not entirely comfortable being out in public. The safeguards that retail outlets, public transport, and people in general are observing vary so drastically. It can be confusing and somewhat disorientating. :-\

In other news, I'm thinking about trying to find an outlet that will print a picture of the lower-half of my face onto a surgical mask...
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

cat

Quote from: milkanannan on Tue 16/06/2020 09:38:07
Must be nice that things are thawing there for you guys. Do you feel confident the timing is right where you are for people to loosen their precautions in public spaces?

Yes, I do think so. Numbers are really low at the moment. In autumn they might rise again when people are more inside which means measures could become more strict again. So I think it's a good idea to loosen them now to relax the situation.

@Creamy *lol*

Slasher

According to a recent graph (from Google) it appears in the UK that the graph has dropped quite a lot from the high peaks back in April/May.. This is great news...

We all know that Autumn/Winter brings coughs and sneezes which hits a lot of people.. We all want/need to relax from the crises while we can. Hopefully it's not the calm before the storm.... keep our immune systems good and finger's crossed...

Mendacity

I am also one of those that nothing change that much since I work from home.

Slasher

In the UK Boris Johnson has started even more easing off the Lock down so more businesses can reopen, like pubs.. Some say it's too soon..

VampireWombat

Well, I think Texas might be the state with the highest number of new cases now. And yesterday there was some kind of change in plans of opening stuff. I didn't pay much attention since I rarely go out anyway, but I do know that the city one of my cousins lives in is openly ignoring these changes. And yesterday was the first time I actually did go anywhere in 2 or 3 weeks, and literally the first thing I heard when I got inside was a woman aggressively saying she hated people wearing masks. So... yeah.

milkanannan

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sat 27/06/2020 12:55:36
and literally the first thing I heard when I got inside was a woman aggressively saying she hated people wearing masks. So... yeah.

Crimson Wizard

Day and night here are different as ... day and night.

We were required to work in the office again since middle-June, so I had to use subway and was wearing a mask when on the route. My estimation still is that about 1/3 people wear masks.
Yesterday I left office late in the evening and decided to take a long walk home by foot. While passing the city center, I got into *huge* crowd of people, taking queues to the opened bars and cafes, talking and eating/drinking right on the pavewalk (since bars still do not let visitors to enter the building itself). Not a single person wearing mask. :)

Retro Wolf

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 27/06/2020 07:52:49
In the UK Boris Johnson has started even more easing off the Lock down so more businesses can reopen, like pubs.. Some say it's too soon..
There'll be limited spaces and too many people who can't wait to get pissed.

Ben X

They're allowed to open from the 4th July in the UK. I'm certainly going to be waiting until at least a couple of weeks after that before I go to any, let all the people without the self-control to social distance catch it off each other first so they're no longer contagious by the time I get there.

Stupot

Worth bearing in mind that alcohol is terrible for your immune system, especially for those already in one of the ‘at-risk’ groups. Just because pubs are open doesn’t mean they’re recommended. Drink responsibly, guys.

Matti

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 28/06/2020 04:25:02
Drink responsibly, guys.

Or wear the  “Virus Away” necklace while drinking!  :-D

Blondbraid

In Sweden there's a massive heatwave right now and all the beaches and outdoor areas are packed, virus be damned. I've been staying indoors with a fan, but I feel like I'm the only one doing that.

cat

We just had the first real summer weekend here (weather in May and June so far has been disappointing) and I went to the public pool and on a small hike in the woods with friends. There were lots of people, of course, but it was not a problem to keep some distance, if desired.
Sweden has some great outdoors, I'd be surprised if there isn't a place that is less crowded where you can safely spend a few hours outside.

ukz530

In South Korea, the number of confirmed cases is increasing around the Seoul metropolitan area.

But Still, everyone lives their daily lives using masks and disinfectants.

The Great Underground Empire

I work a high public contact point at a main government building in upstate New York.  It's been effing nuts watching the idiot Karens and Kens overrun the U.S, denying masks, denying the virus is real.

Our building posted signs all around the main lobby requiring everyone to wear masks and social distance in public spaces.  But privately, the people running the building tell everyone, it's up to you, it's not mandatory.

And in my area, they posted an informal sign saying "masks aren't mandatory, but gloves are" - which makes even less sense, because one pair of gloves all day is the same as not wearing gloves at all.

I'm the only one on my team who wears a mask every day as I interact with the public.  My supervisor is a "damn government is just trying to control me, f*** Cuomo" guy.

The entire housekeeping staff pull masks on below their chins to fake compliance, and every day give me passive-aggressive jabs about "masks give you cancer!" and "masks kill you with carbon dioxide poisoning!" and other BS they don't understand the real science of.

Worst of all - the BUILDING NURSE is a mask denier.  She actively discourages people from masking up.

My wife has the same problem - she works in a non-medical-care department for a major hospital nearby.  Her whole department, including the bosses, tries to hide that they don't wear masks, even AFTER a couple COVID infections, one in their department, one in the child daycare on the floor below.  When inspectors come through, the bosses pretend they'll comply, then tell everyone to just wear them for the day and take them off again tomorrow.

My wife wears one, but her coworkers try to shame her daily into taking it off.

I'm at the point - if anyone coughs on me on purpose, I'll treat it as attempted murder and defend accordingly.  Anyone spits on me, they'll be spitting teeth.

milkanannan

@PlayPretend that's totally nuts. Very bizarre how some of these people think. So sorry to hear you and your family are having to deal daily with such clowns.

Crimson Wizard

I am working in the office again since mid-June and no one wears masks here, except few people get them on when going through the lobby.

The employees in stores and various public service workers are probably only ones I've seen regularily wearing masks (but not at all times).

Marcin K.

As an introvert who works at home, moves around on bike and does shopping no more than once a week I must say the fist weeks of lockdown was a best time of my life. No annoying guests or invitation to boring parties and being one of maybe 5 people in big mall was a memorable experience :)

I create kids animation so my branch wasn't hurt at all and even peaked a bit (we are badly wounded because of unfamous change of YouTube policy but that's a different story). I also bought more vinyl records than ever before - I just said I have to support local small entreprenours :D

Now I look at crowded malls, gathering (presidential election in Poland) and public transportation and see the most of people without masks. It will blow soon in our faces....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk