Global Pandemic Lockdown

Started by Snarky, Sat 14/03/2020 11:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Possible we will see more of these viruses in the future, perhaps viruses that are by design. It’s clearly a tactic through which to disrupt the western world. (Sorry, I know that makes me sound like I need a tinfoil hat, but it just such an obvious tool China might want to explore down the road.)

Cassiebsg

Can only see terrorists thinking it's a good idea.
Unless you can design it so that your own population is immune, this disrupts as much the western world as the eastern and northern and southern... So all lands in the globe are having a hard time dealing with it and a serious economic bash.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

milkanannan

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 02/07/2020 20:18:58
So all lands in the globe are having a hard time dealing with it and a serious economic bash.

Everyone's is having (or had) a hard time, true, but China's mobile infrastructure and experience with pandemics like this have allowed it to fare phenomenally better than the west (or anywhere else for that matter). I mean, Chinese people didn't even have to be told to put masks on when the news broke; they just did it. This coupled with their cashless society and ability to track the health status and GPS location of every single person in the country via WeChat has meant disruption to daily life was much less affected than in the US (as one of many non-China examples), where Covid is going to linger for years.

VampireWombat

So, today is the first day of Texas being to mandatory mask wearing. I knew better, but I looked on Facebook anyway. Someone I knew from High School posted a link about it and 3/4 of the responses were anti-mask. I wonder how these same people feel about washing hands...

Slasher

We hear so much about wearing face masks or face coverings as they are now known as... wear them, don't where them... wash a few times a day thoroughly or wash as usual.. no wonder people are confused when venturing out of the house... All i can say is: don't live in fear...enjoy life...

VampireWombat

If it was merely a matter of confusion, I wouldn't be upset with these people. But these are people who are against it mainly on the concept that being told to wear a mask in public imposes on their freedom.

Slasher

Quote from: VampireWombat on Fri 03/07/2020 14:52:42
If it was merely a matter of confusion, I wouldn't be upset with these people. But these are people who are against it mainly on the concept that being told to wear a mask in public imposes on their freedom.
There's much more to it than that apparently and I for one tend to enjoy my days left ;)

Snarky

There was some inconsistent and confusing advice on mask use early on in the pandemic, and of course we learn more as the crisis goes on, which causes reevaluation of some points (and there's always a tradeoff between maximum safety and what you can reasonably expect people to follow), but the best medical advice has been pretty clear and consistent for the last couple of months, and it's not all that complicated:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51205344

The Great Underground Empire

Small victory update: the Mayor of my area stopped by our building, saw all the people without masks, and had the Governor's office call to tell everyone to mask the f*** up. Some are still being children about it but a much higher percentage are complying now.

Which is good, 'cause Wednesday the US topped 50K new cases in a day.

Sinitrena

Quote from: VampireWombat on Fri 03/07/2020 14:52:42

Ask them how they feel about old ladies walking around with their breasts out or men with their penis. After all, mandating that they wear clothes imposes on their freedom, doesn't it? Somehow, I don't think they would agree.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but I honestly can't wrap my head around this. How does wearing a mask has anything to do with freedom? If anything, it's the other way around - by not wearing a mask, people seriously impede the freedom of other people, mainly the freedom (or right) to stay alive!

VampireWombat

Quote from: Sinitrena on Fri 03/07/2020 17:13:46
Ask them how they feel about old ladies walking around with their breasts out or men with their penis. After all, mandating that they wear clothes imposes on their freedom, doesn't it? Somehow, I don't think they would agree.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but I honestly can't wrap my head around this. How does wearing a mask has anything to do with freedom? If anything, it's the other way around - by not wearing a mask, people seriously impede the freedom of other people, mainly the freedom (or right) to stay alive!
I honestly have no idea where people like this draw the line. All I know is that there are certain Americans who simply think being told to wear a mask makes them defiant. One of the people said they'd have to put him in jail.

Thinking about it, the best comparison I can some up with is drunk driving. But I'd prefer not to ask their views on that subject either...

Snarky

I thought this was a decent analogy:

(Thread continues, but you get the gist.)

Click'd

The "thread continues" just opens a blank tab for me. I had to quote you and use the link directly.

Slasher

milkanannan

Cassiebsg

I mean, Chinese people didn't even have to be told to put masks on when the news broke; they just did it.

They (and other Asiatic lands) have been living with face masks since the "bird (H5) and swine (H1N1) flu" outbreaks some 10-11 years ago, some just adopted it as normal and others have them as backup for when these virus show up again. It's normal for them. Just like around 2009 and due to the possibility of it reaching us in Europe (or Denmark in particular) my then work place adopted the Ethanol hand sanitizing as normal procedure. We should sanitize when getting to work and into production, then when we went to the toilet or cantina/pause, again when we went back into production. Candy and stuff was no longer allowed to free "take", only wrapped food that you could take and so on... but we never did got an outbreak of these here... but procedure stayed in place (though it got slapped along the years and it was often that the ethanol containers were empty and took them a few days to replace - I assume they aren't now!)
Also Chinese people are used to be told what to do with little to no complain. We're not... and some people just don't accept the obvious.   (roll)

I still don't believe that their numbers are so low as they report. But that's just what I believe, I have no proof either way.

@PlayPretend, that really sucks!   :( If people want to be sick it's their right, but their rights stop where yours start! And you have the right to be healthy and not sick because of some idiots.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

The Great Underground Empire

Thanks for the support, it's appreciated.  I think since NY was the first US epicenter and we largely flattened the curve, everyone's inappropriately relaxing.

It's like watching an inflated balloon - we pushed a finger down on NY, so the lazy people are ignoring that the balloon is inflating everywhere else with increased pressure.

It's like watching pincers close back around us.

Slasher

Soon in the UK wearing masks will be mandatory in all shops...  Why am I not surprised.. People are fighting and arguing over masks and it's like watching a comedy spectacle from pure observation.. Let's see what's up next.. You could not make this up ;)

Danvzare

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 11/07/2020 13:27:04
Soon in the UK wearing masks will be mandatory in all shops...  Why am I not surprised.. People are fighting and arguing over masks and it's like watching a comedy spectacle from pure observation.. Let's see what's up next.. You could not make this up ;)
Heh, like that will be enforced.  (laugh)
You're supposed to wear a mask whenever you go on any public transport, but only about half of them do. At least where I live.

KyriakosCH

Two types of DIY coronavirus masks:

1) Stupid

2) Awesome

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk