Jibble

Author Topic: Global Pandemic Lockdown  (Read 22569 times)

Re: Global Pandemic Lockdown
« Reply #440 on: 13 Jul 2020, 09:08 »

Is that a mask...inside a mask?

« Reply #441 on: 04 Sep 2020, 06:10 »

« Reply #442 on: 04 Sep 2020, 12:42 »
TFW you are a U.S. police officer and don't wear protective gear

source
Fail at Floaty Rog' now!  still having to deal with what games are going through

« Reply #443 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:31 »

This one was wasted on Twitter. I have almost zero reach.

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
    • Mandle worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Mandle worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #444 on: 16 Sep 2020, 12:24 »

This one was wasted on Twitter. I have almost zero reach.

I'm guessing the "Stan" reference is key, but I don't get it actually. Is that Sting's or someone else's real name?

Snarky

• Global Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mittens Lord
  • Private Insultant
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2018, for his numerous additions to the AGS open source ecosystem including the new Awards Ceremony client and modules
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #445 on: 16 Sep 2020, 12:51 »
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Stan (now also used as a verb, see def. 2)

I guess I get the joke, but I feel it doesn't quite hit because the shift in meaning from the original isn't big enough.

« Reply #446 on: 16 Sep 2020, 14:28 »
Well, I guess you guys aren’t my target audience either.  :cry:

Hopefully, I’ll get a better response over on Mumsnet.

Mandle

•  
« Reply #447 on: 16 Sep 2020, 15:44 »

Well, I learnt the new-to-me term of "Stan" as describing a devoted or over-zealous fan...

But, yeah, even Gary Larson had his "Cow Tools" debacle so you are in the company of comedy legends.

« Reply #448 on: 18 Sep 2020, 08:49 »

You know, if Snarky had found it funnier, he would have had to move it over to the funny pics thread.  :P

I liked the reference to the Sting song, but didn't know the Stan slang term. Shows my age, probably.

Slasher

• Slasher....Truth hunter...
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with story design
    • Slasher worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Slasher worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #449 on: 19 Sep 2020, 13:15 »
UK   Massive rally in Trafalgar sq....

« Reply #450 on: 19 Sep 2020, 14:29 »
Totally crazy~

"Outnumbered officers were pushed back by the huge crowd, which began cheering and chanting 'freedom' while organisers of the Resist And Act For Freedom rally sold T-shirts bearing 5G conspiracy theories."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8750505/Anti-mask-mayhem-Trafalgar-Square-Conspiracy-theorists-clash-police.html

Hey why not make a buck while fighting the system, man! (laugh)

Slasher

• Slasher....Truth hunter...
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with story design
    • Slasher worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Slasher worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #451 on: 19 Sep 2020, 14:37 »
Totally crazy~

"Outnumbered officers were pushed back by the huge crowd, which began cheering and chanting 'freedom' while organisers of the Resist And Act For Freedom rally sold T-shirts bearing 5G conspiracy theories."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8750505/Anti-mask-mayhem-Trafalgar-Square-Conspiracy-theorists-clash-police.html

Hey why not make a buck while fighting the system, man! (laugh)
I'm watching it live.... there are no yellow jacket protesters  i can see mate. I'll carry on watching and see what happens...

Mandle

•  
« Reply #452 on: 19 Sep 2020, 17:20 »
It's easy to dig into conspiracy theories and say idiotic stuff like "Plandemic" and "Scam", especially when you are watching your own small business go into bankruptcy because of something that feels like it is out of your control.

Of course people want to take out their frustrations and claim that the government is orchestrating the whole thing just to crush them.

But this is not what is actually going on.

What is actually going on is that an "arriving pretty much on schedule" pandemic has happened. The governments were not prepared for this, because we, as humans, just ignore things until it becomes a bother for us and then it's too late sometimes.

And we are even playing this level on "Easy" mode where the virus doesn't kill friggin' everyone within a month.

So, yes, I feel sorry for the frustrated people who are losing their livelihoods and are blaming the government for having planned this whole thing out in some insane world where governments actually are able to do that without a single moral-minded whistle-blower coming out, but rioting is not the answer and just increases the spread of the virus.

I have no answer for the people who have lost their entire financial savings over this, however. The government is not prepared to fund everyone. We are going to have to go through a period of financial blues.

But please, to these people, please don't go out and take out your frustrations on others.

Britain survived daily bombings during WW2 by banding together and just helping each other out.

A virus is not as obvious or visible threat as a Nazi bomb or soldier, but the same spirit should be happening.

« Reply #453 on: 19 Sep 2020, 19:57 »
Someone I know went back to China recently. This is what you go through on arrival (and if you don’t like it you literally cannot enter the country):

@trivial dude I did two sets of testing for Covid. One set on my first day of quarantine and one set on my last full day of quarantine. They did a blood test, and a throat swab. Two nurses in hazmat suites took my temperature twice a day, in the morning and the evening. A lady in a hazmat suit would come in with a disinfecting sprayer and spray down my toilet every morning. Otherwise there was no interactions. Food and deliveries were left on the floor outside our doors 3 times a day and they would ring the door bell when it was there. They made me sign loads of paperwork on the first day too, saying I was there of my own volition, that I wouldn’t leave the room, and authorizations to have them notify the Canadian embassy for me (and they did).

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #454 on: 19 Sep 2020, 21:25 »
I think the problem is that we've been creating a "me" culture for quite some time now.
Whenever I see someone claim "My body, my choice" in relation to wearing a mask, I sigh and think "me, me, me... it all handles about "me"... fk everybody else".  :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

•  
« Reply #455 on: 20 Sep 2020, 01:11 »
I think the problem is that we've been creating a "me" culture for quite some time now.
Whenever I see someone claim "My body, my choice" in relation to wearing a mask, I sigh and think "me, me, me... it all handles about "me"... fk everybody else".  :~(

Well said!!! And then even one step further below those people we have the pandemic deniers, most of whom are also either flat-earthers or Qanon or anti-vaxxers or anti-5Gers or, in many cases, all of the above.

« Reply #456 on: 21 Sep 2020, 19:57 »
On that note I'll recommend this podcast: https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/
Which is very depressing but also very entertaining. What I like especially is that they focus their ire on the asshole grifters as opposed to the hapless victims of the scam.
Fail at Floaty Rog' now!  still having to deal with what games are going through