Started by Snarky, Sat 14/03/2020 11:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Stupot

Khris

TFW you are a U.S. police officer and don't wear protective gear

source

Stupot

This one was wasted on Twitter. I have almost zero reach.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 16/09/2020 01:31:30

This one was wasted on Twitter. I have almost zero reach.

I'm guessing the "Stan" reference is key, but I don't get it actually. Is that Sting's or someone else's real name?

Snarky

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Stan (now also used as a verb, see def. 2)

I guess I get the joke, but I feel it doesn't quite hit because the shift in meaning from the original isn't big enough.

Stupot

Well, I guess you guys aren’t my target audience either.  :cry:

Hopefully, I’ll get a better response over on Mumsnet.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 16/09/2020 14:28:17

Well, I learnt the new-to-me term of "Stan" as describing a devoted or over-zealous fan...

But, yeah, even Gary Larson had his "Cow Tools" debacle so you are in the company of comedy legends.

heltenjon

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 16/09/2020 14:28:17

You know, if Snarky had found it funnier, he would have had to move it over to the funny pics thread.  :P

I liked the reference to the Sting song, but didn't know the Stan slang term. Shows my age, probably.

Slasher

UK   Massive rally in Trafalgar sq....

milkanannan

Totally crazy~

Quote"Outnumbered officers were pushed back by the huge crowd, which began cheering and chanting 'freedom' while organisers of the Resist And Act For Freedom rally sold T-shirts bearing 5G conspiracy theories."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8750505/Anti-mask-mayhem-Trafalgar-Square-Conspiracy-theorists-clash-police.html

Hey why not make a buck while fighting the system, man! (laugh)

Slasher

Quote from: milkanannan on Sat 19/09/2020 14:29:44
Totally crazy~

Quote"Outnumbered officers were pushed back by the huge crowd, which began cheering and chanting 'freedom' while organisers of the Resist And Act For Freedom rally sold T-shirts bearing 5G conspiracy theories."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8750505/Anti-mask-mayhem-Trafalgar-Square-Conspiracy-theorists-clash-police.html

Hey why not make a buck while fighting the system, man! (laugh)
I'm watching it live.... there are no yellow jacket protesters  i can see mate. I'll carry on watching and see what happens...

Mandle

It's easy to dig into conspiracy theories and say idiotic stuff like "Plandemic" and "Scam", especially when you are watching your own small business go into bankruptcy because of something that feels like it is out of your control.

Of course people want to take out their frustrations and claim that the government is orchestrating the whole thing just to crush them.

But this is not what is actually going on.

What is actually going on is that an "arriving pretty much on schedule" pandemic has happened. The governments were not prepared for this, because we, as humans, just ignore things until it becomes a bother for us and then it's too late sometimes.

And we are even playing this level on "Easy" mode where the virus doesn't kill friggin' everyone within a month.

So, yes, I feel sorry for the frustrated people who are losing their livelihoods and are blaming the government for having planned this whole thing out in some insane world where governments actually are able to do that without a single moral-minded whistle-blower coming out, but rioting is not the answer and just increases the spread of the virus.

I have no answer for the people who have lost their entire financial savings over this, however. The government is not prepared to fund everyone. We are going to have to go through a period of financial blues.

But please, to these people, please don't go out and take out your frustrations on others.

Britain survived daily bombings during WW2 by banding together and just helping each other out.

A virus is not as obvious or visible threat as a Nazi bomb or soldier, but the same spirit should be happening.

milkanannan

Someone I know went back to China recently. This is what you go through on arrival (and if you don’t like it you literally cannot enter the country):

Quote@trivial dudeâ€...I did two sets of testing for Covid. One set on my first day of quarantine and one set on my last full day of quarantine. They did a blood test, and a throat swab. Two nurses in hazmat suites took my temperature twice a day, in the morning and the evening. A lady in a hazmat suit would come in with a disinfecting sprayer and spray down my toilet every morning. Otherwise there was no interactions. Food and deliveries were left on the floor outside our doors 3 times a day and they would ring the door bell when it was there. They made me sign loads of paperwork on the first day too, saying I was there of my own volition, that I wouldn’t leave the room, and authorizations to have them notify the Canadian embassy for me (and they did).

Cassiebsg

I think the problem is that we've been creating a "me" culture for quite some time now.
Whenever I see someone claim "My body, my choice" in relation to wearing a mask, I sigh and think "me, me, me... it all handles about "me"... fk everybody else".  :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 19/09/2020 21:25:51
I think the problem is that we've been creating a "me" culture for quite some time now.
Whenever I see someone claim "My body, my choice" in relation to wearing a mask, I sigh and think "me, me, me... it all handles about "me"... fk everybody else".  :~(

Well said!!! And then even one step further below those people we have the pandemic deniers, most of whom are also either flat-earthers or Qanon or anti-vaxxers or anti-5Gers or, in many cases, all of the above.

Khris

On that note I'll recommend this podcast: https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/
Which is very depressing but also very entertaining. What I like especially is that they focus their ire on the asshole grifters as opposed to the hapless victims of the scam.

Khris

Should fit here, also time to revive this thread I guess, given the current numbers and shutdowns everywhere.

I had never heard of this outbreak, not even in conjunction with the infamous earthquake.
Also, again, we have learnt nothing. Nothing.

Flugeldufel

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 20/09/2020 01:11:33
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 19/09/2020 21:25:51

Well said!!! And then even one step further below those people we have the pandemic deniers, most of whom are also either flat-earthers or Qanon or anti-vaxxers or anti-5Gers or, in many cases, all of the above.

This!

viktor

Well we're in lockdown here in Slovenia too. I was just recently in contact with my mother in law that is positive for covid and I'm pretty sure I got it. It's not pleasant
But untill things really go downhill I'll selfisolate.

We already started working from home in my company. But to be honest me and the mrs. are starting to go a bit stir crazy.

The situation here isn't pleasant. We're also a very "me" centric country and there are a lot of protests on the streets. Restaurants and cafes are closing down and going out of business, even I lost a perfect job opportunity because of covid. Then there are the mask deniers that plain out don't wear masks because they don't work anyway and are "actually" bad for you. I hate it but we'll have to tough it out.
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk