Global Pandemic Lockdown

Started by Snarky, Sat 14/03/2020 11:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Sorry to hear that, and hope you get well soon!

Danvzare

Quote from: viktor on Mon 30/11/2020 09:21:14
Well we're in lockdown here in Slovenia too. I was just recently in contact with my mother in law that is positive for covid and I'm pretty sure I got it. It's not pleasant
But untill things really go downhill I'll selfisolate.
Get well soon.

viktor

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 30/11/2020 21:40:52
Sorry to hear that, and hope you get well soon!

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 01/12/2020 15:49:20
Quote from: viktor on Mon 30/11/2020 09:21:14
Well we're in lockdown here in Slovenia too. I was just recently in contact with my mother in law that is positive for covid and I'm pretty sure I got it. It's not pleasant
But untill things really go downhill I'll selfisolate.
Get well soon.

Thank you. Health isn't so bad to be honest but the whole situation is frustrating to no end.
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

Cassiebsg

After a period with masks inside commercial and public places, and continued infection increasing (and deaths), we're now going in for a new lockdown. Big commercial centers will be closed from tomorrow already, from monday a few more stuff will be closed (including schools and free-time activities) and from 25th Dec. everything, except supermarkets and pharmacies, will be closed until 3rd Januar.

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

viktor

LOL, our government in it's infinite wisdom opened certain shops for a week then closed them down again. For 2 months we are already limited to our own municipalities and are not allowed to travel around the country. That doesn't sound to irritating but the thing is Slovenia is known for being one of the countries that has the most municipalities for it's size. So basically any small town with a post office can be it's own municipality. I basically can't go anywhere. My municipality has one small grocery store and a post office :P. And now they are lifting the travel ban for Christmas and New Year as if the virus will take time off for the holidays.
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

LimpingFish

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 16/12/2020 17:49:41
After a period with masks inside commercial and public places, and continued infection increasing (and deaths), we're now going in for a new lockdown. Big commercial centers will be closed from tomorrow already, from monday a few more stuff will be closed (including schools and free-time activities) and from 25th Dec. everything, except supermarkets and pharmacies, will be closed until 3rd January.

That's pretty much what's happening here, too. The plan was for the relaxation of rules for the Christmas period to last until into early January, but now it's back to total lock-down on the December 26th.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Danvzare

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 24/12/2020 00:19:21
After a period with masks inside commercial and public places, and continued infection increasing (and deaths), we're now going in for a new lockdown. Big commercial centers will be closed from tomorrow already, from monday a few more stuff will be closed (including schools and free-time activities) and from 25th Dec. everything, except supermarkets and pharmacies, will be closed until 3rd January.

That's pretty much what's happening here, too. The plan was for the relaxation of rules for the Christmas period to last until into early January, but now it's back to total lock-down on the December 26th.

It's almost as though no one has any idea of what to do.  ???

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 24/12/2020 17:48:02
Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 24/12/2020 00:19:21

It's almost as though no one has any idea of what to do.  ???

What this reminds me is one of those games where you have to keep number of meters up by keep working at one at a time, while others fall down, so you keep switching between them.
First people who are afraid of virus yell at government to impose a lockdown, then people who are tired of lockdown want it cancelled, then people who are afraid of virus are back, then other people say "but we want Christmas holidays!!" and this goes in circles.

KyriakosCH

Here we have a lockdown and also mandatory wearing of masks Outside as well - which is really annoying and likely pointless if not counter-productive (eg for people with breathing problems).
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Click'd

You'll have far more people with "breathing problems" if you don't do it. A mask is preferrable to a tube down your throat.

Khris

Wearing a mask while outside only makes sense if you're in a crowded area; otherwise all you're doing is decreasing its effectiveness by making it damp.
I feel terrible when I see old people on the sidewalk with their masks on even though there's no one around.

edit: typo

Mandle

Here in Japan I've noticed that most people are wearing masks even when walking alone down an empty street. I suspect it's more out of a fear of being judged by others than that they feel an actual need for it. Like "I'm doing my part" kinda thing.
Disturbingly, I also see the hand sanitizers that are everywhere now for free public use, going ignored. Masks are a much smaller (but still important) part of the solution than is just disinfecting your hands constantly IMO. I'd say that if a study was possible that it would show that 80% or more of people get infected by picking up the virus on their hands and transmitting it to their face than catch it through airborne transmission.

Khris

Here's a great article about air transmission: https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

Still, using hand sanitizers is definitely also important. A woman on the radio here in Germany used a funny but very apt analogy: it's like slices of Swiss cheese; each slice has holes in it, but if you stack several of them, the holes are gone.

New cases are going down in Germany right now, but that's probably due to the restrictions having gotten more severe two weeks ago. There's going to be a major uptick in the first half of January, and we already have a mortuary running out of space in the region with the most victims of right-wing propaganda.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Khris on Thu 24/12/2020 23:32:33
Wearing a mask while outside only makes sense if you're in a crowded area; otherwise all you're doing is decreasing its effectiveness by making it damp.
I feel terrible when I see old people on the sidewalk with their masks on even though there's no one around.

edit: typo

Wearing masks indoors - eg in supermarkets - is something I never had a problem with. But being ordered to wear a mask outside, even if there is no one else within 300 metres of you, doesn't seem to do anything.
People have been fined 300 euros for not wearing them. During the first lockdown (back in March) masks outside weren't part of the rules, so no one wore them. Back then supposedly the government handled everything great and we had next to no deaths (less than 200 for the first 6 months), but apparently it just was lucky and did nothing right, much like now it still does nothing right but luck run out and the dead are over 4000.
Nothing to do with luck in the latter case anyway - the country has too few special covid-19 emergency hospital beds.

KyriakosCH

Britain termed "Plague Island" - challenges, but also opportunities  :=

Maybe people can do like in the plague of 1666, and move to the countryside where an apple falling on their head reading Kepler's laws and using their generalized binomial theorem leads them to come up with a new theory of mechanics.

The Great Underground Empire

Cases are rising (well, everywhere, but) in NY again, and it's finally blowing up in the government building where I work.

There's a parole office fifty feet from my desk, and it's the main source of cases.  Half the officers in there are mask deniers, virus hoaxers, etc., so not surprising.  Even after 8 cases in the past few weeks, some of them still walk around without masks on, going back and forth by my desk.  One of the officers kept coming to my desk last Friday to tell my boss how much infection they have.  Then sounded angry and panicky yesterday about it - and then IMMEDIATELY launches into how skeptical he still is that it exists or it's dangerous, because "our Governor is probably just trying to cause riots so he can play hero and be a king and sell another book".

A few other cases have hit on higher floors, and the housekeepers sanitizing those floors tend to go clean, then come downstairs, take off their mask and walk around chatting.

Yesterday, several unmasked people stopped to chat from three feet away with my unmasked supervisor, one of them from Parole.  A few days ago I had to stop an unmasked coworker from walking one foot away from me to show me something on his phone that I didn't even want or need to see.  He got all pissed and huffy and yanked his mask up but didn't back away until I told him to again.

Fortunately, the masks-make-you-sick building manager is retiring in a couple weeks, fingers crossed his replacement actually believes in virus safety.  I think it's time to report the whole building to our Mayor and Governor and see if they can do anything.

In this same week, I've also had blow-up arguments with my mom and brother, who are both using the "I'm smart and careful, so it's okay for *me* to"...go out to lunch at a restaurant, find out they got exposed but not isolate from their wife and baby because "ahhh, no point, if I have it they have it by now anyways, probably".

I hate, HATE that I might get sick and die, or kill my wife, because of all these fucking idiots.  The sheer amount of people whose last words must be, "But I didn't!" know, believe, think, etc., as the virus eats them alive.  The thought that I might die and some asshole will go, "But - but - I didn't MEAN to -"  It's worse, somehow, than getting intentionally murdered.  Death by "oops, oh well".

Cassiebsg

Sorry to hear that you still have to deal with all those idiots.  :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: PlayPretend on Fri 25/12/2020 11:39:38
Death by "oops, oh well".

I read your whole post and maybe the media should start asking dying Covid patients if they would like their final moments to be recorded and broadcasted in the event that they pass away from the virus.

And then the news should play those clips.

I think too many of the hard-core virus deniers are probably such because they haven't seen anyone die from the virus themselves... I also haven't seen that but I'm not a crazy conspiracy theorist and believe the numbers we are being told.

But, for those who think it's a hoax or over-exaggerated... Maybe some news reports showing people actually dying in their last moments may convince them.

Bah, who am I kidding? I know these people. They will just double-down and say the clips were staged and that the dying person was an actor and that their family, screaming with grief outside, were all actors.

I always want to be understanding to people, but ugh.  My job basically involves telling grown adults not to do stupid things that can hurt people - and it's killing me that I'm locked in a situation where I don't have the authority to officially tell these coworkers to stop being dangerous, it just devolves into childish reasoning and bullshit fake-science arguments.  And the people who do have that authority to control them are part of the problem.

Update - the parole officer who kept coming over to tell us about all the infections - bedridden for three days, has now tested positive.

Other update - my brother is now forced to isolate because his nearby officemate has tested positive - officemate only masks up half the time - was leaning over my brother's shoulder to read stuff all yesterday - and, surprising no one, voted for the Tyrant.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk