[SOLVED]Problems following dialog conversation tutorial in AGS manual.

Started by pell, Sat 11/04/2020 05:07:37

Previous topic - Next topic

pell

I'm modifying the original thread to something more to the problem. It's not clear in the dialog tutorial of the manual that the dialog GUI options for the "dWares" script need to be filled in rather than left blank. I read it as the "dWare" script was not intended to have clickable options in the dialog. Of course, this caused the engine to hang while it waited for the player to click dialog options that did not exist.

I'm talking about the this manual page:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/acintro8.htm

Maybe the text could be updated to clearly show that the dialog options for "dWares" need to be filled in. The tutorial only mentions filling in "the script however you like".

Edit: Now this probably belongs in the Beginners' Technical Questions forum.

[SOLVED] I see where it briefly mentions filling the options in, though I missed it originally. In a tutorial where most steps are explicitly demonstrated, usually with graphics, this was easy to miss.

Cassiebsg

QuoteWhile we're at it, let's create the next set of options too. Right click the "Dialogs" node in the project tree, and select "New Dialog". A new blank Dialog 1 is created. Double-click on this, and again, create three new options and type them in. In the property grid, change the Name from "dDialog1" to "dWares".

Now this line is right after the image "We've inserted three options for topic 0"

But I guess an image showing this step could ensure people not to miss this step.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

pell

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 11/04/2020 09:37:21
QuoteWhile we're at it, let's create the next set of options too. Right click the "Dialogs" node in the project tree, and select "New Dialog". A new blank Dialog 1 is created. Double-click on this, and again, create three new options and type them in. In the property grid, change the Name from "dDialog1" to "dWares".

Now this line is right after the image "We've inserted three options for topic 0"

But I guess an image showing this step could ensure people not to miss this step.

That's for the "dMerchant" dialog, not for the "dWares" dialog. I had the impression "dWares" options were intentionally left blank since there was no mention of filling them in, and I assumed that was because it was being linked to from the other script.

Edit: At least you got me looking at the page again, and I see where it says "create three new options and type them in." I missed that, probably assuming that the tutorial would detail what to type in. It could be more clear.

Crimson Wizard

There's a manual project on github, where anyone may post comments and suggestions: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags-manual/issues

You may also edit manual source itself, as it exists in a form of a Wiki, although do that only if you sure what you do :)  (and it's moderated by developers)
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags-manual/wiki

For instance someone could write a new version of tutorial.

We've been inviting people to aid with this for a very long time, but almost no one ever came...

pell

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 11/04/2020 12:07:42
There's a manual project on github, where anyone may post comments and suggestions: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags-manual/issues

You may also edit manual source itself, as it exists in a form of a Wiki, although do that only if you sure what you do :)  (and it's moderated by developers)
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags-manual/wiki

For instance someone could write a new version of tutorial.

We've been inviting people to aid with this for a very long time, but almost no one ever came...

I'm willing to do that. I did find the GitHub manual when I thought there was a bug in the dialog code. I noticed they didn't have an example of using a goto-dialog function like the one in the official AGS manual.

TheManInBoots

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 11/04/2020 12:07:42
I have a question on that: how fast are changes in the wiki transferred to the in-built editor manual? Is it updated with every new release?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: TheManInBoots on Sat 11/04/2020 23:14:03
I have a question on that: how fast are changes in the wiki transferred to the in-built editor manual? Is it updated with every new release?

Whenever one of the developers creates a new release in the manual, then it will be automatically used when creating new release of ags.

The CHM file could be built anytime, I think.

Scummbuddy

Hey all. I've spent the last week updating and modifying the tutorial pages to include more images and match the tutorial steps with the updated editor and the updated Sierra-style template. I noticed the default background was recently updated along with icons and inventory item images. They're really nice but I had to make some extra steps to make the tutorial still fit. The only thing I wasn't able to make work was the "walk behind" tutorial as the new background didn't have any area to walk behind.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk