Where did verbcoin come from?

Started by Volcan, Fri 02/09/2022 23:09:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Volcan

After I tried the verbcoin, I wonder which game came from?

Right click brings the inventory. Left click for commands.

Snarky

The concept of a radial menu or pie menu goes back to the 1960s, and it was apparently used in the RPG Secret of Mana (1993), but within adventure games it's usually credited to Full Throttle (1995). The "verb coin" name comes from Curse of Monkey Island (1997), where it was an actual coin.

Mandle

Beware of verbcoin. I suspect it's just another one of those crypto scams!

Danvzare

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 02/09/2022 23:22:20
The concept of a radial menu or pie menu goes back to the 1960s, and it was apparently used in the RPG Secret of Mana (1993), but within adventure games it's usually credited to Full Throttle (1995). The "verb coin" name comes from Curse of Monkey Island (1997), where it was an actual coin.
The radial menu in Secret of Mana is nothing like a verb coin.  (wrong)
In Secret if Mana, it's basically just a normal menu in an RPG (stats, equipment, items, tactics), but with the options ordered horizontally, instead of vertically, and then put into a circle for aesthetic reasons. There's even submenus!
A verb coin on the other hand is more of a list of commands put onto the screen directly where you clicked for immediate use on the thing you clicked. A verb coin has more in common with the menu you get from right clicking something in Windows, than it does with the radial menu in Secret of Mana, despite the shapes.

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 03/09/2022 06:52:24
Beware of verbcoin. I suspect it's just another one of those crypto scams!
I'd be surprised if there hasn't been a crypto called VerbCoin.  (laugh)

Snarky

I agree that the rotary menus in Secret of Mana are not a proper verb coin, though I would argue that the interface does have some things in common. One big difference is definitely that it does not feature "verbs" as such; however, inventory items and weapons can to some extent serve similar functionality (though the fact that these are not the primary menu is definitely a counter-argument). And if you consider the player character as your "cursor" and walking around in the environment a way to locate "hotspots," then it has a similar control paradigm: first choose the target, then the type of action from a radial menu around the "cursor."

But yeah, I concede that those and other differences definitely sets it apart. And one of the main arguments for radial menus was better selection performance than with a linear (dropdown) menu, but that only applies when you have a free-movement 2D pointing mechanism such as a mouse/cursor.

Mati256

Just the other day there was a little exchange between Jonathan Ackley and Tim Schafer abut the Full Throttle Verbcoin on Twitter.

Here is a screenshot and the link to the original conversation:
https://twitter.com/ackley_jonathan/status/1564990636167598082

My Blog! (En Español)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk