MAGS April "Sky High" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/04/2020 09:55:51

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS April?

Skyfall
2 (12.5%)
Upducted
1 (6.3%)
Midnight Squadron
5 (31.3%)
The Penthouse
6 (37.5%)
Over Roger
0 (0%)
Vertigo
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: Mon 25/05/2020 09:59:15

fernewelten

I will be able to present a "sky-high" adventure game. But I'm not sure whether it'll be quite ready at midnight today yet .

Can I have an extension, please?

JackPutter

MIDNIGHT SQUADRON

GAME LINK: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2438-midnight-squadron-mags-april-2020-/

SYNOPSIS: In the skies above war-torn Europe, trouble strikes the crew of an RAF bomber as it returns from its mission. The aircraft's copilot Fredericks needs to get to the bottom of what's going on, and live to tell the tale.

SCREENSHOTS:

FEATURES:

• An original horror story full of mystery and suspense
  • Faux 16-colour graphics
  • Approximately 15-20 minutes of gameplay
  • Occasional strong violence and gore
  • "Beneath A Steel Sky" style interface - Left click to interact, right click to examine

If you are a fan of horror films or scary stories in general, I hope you will enjoy this game! Please let me know what you think of it, it is my most ambitious project to date and I would love to hear your feedback. There were a few things I really wanted to include but I had to set aside because of the time constraints. I enjoyed making this one a lot, even if it was quite taxing!

This is my third MAGS entry in a row, and I think it will be my last for a little while. I had never developed a game before entering this February's MAGS competition, and while taking part in these contests has been a great way to learn I feel a little worn out. I haven't had the chance to actually PLAY any games since January! So I'll probably sit out of the competition for a month or two.

Anyway, I hope you all have fun with my entry, and best of luck to all those still putting the finishing touches on theirs!

Slasher

JackPutter..

Just played... nice game ;)

JackPutter

Slasher - Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I shall be playing your entry shortly, I'm looking forward to an exciting trip to the moon!

Cassiebsg

atm I have "one small bug" that makes and invisible dead enemy shoot back. I'm trying to fix it.
A couple more days would be nice, so I could add some more game play (I lost 2-3 days to make my enemies shoot back... and then I trashed all that code and started over this evening)... right now all you have to shoot at are 20 enemies perfectly aligned.  (laugh) I guess the invisible shooter makes it more interesting.  (roll)

Otherwise I'll just post what I have before going to bed.  :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Intense Degree

Hi all - so it's been a while since I was last around here, and I was always more of a lurker than anything so I'll not expect you to remember me.

But anyway, thanks to the lockdown, downtime, bank holidays and a whole host of late nights, I have actually managed to cobble something together for the first time in over a decade!

The Penthouse

A struggling artist receives a commission to paint a portrait of a wealthy businessman in his Penthouse apartment, but this apparent stroke of luck turns into something rather different.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ikabuvhi9k03fty/The_Penthouse.7z/file to Download.

EDIT: Uploaded a version with a quick bugfix - at https://www.mediafire.com/file/djw6vzhc1gkn6gp/The_Penthouse_v1.1.7z/file

JackPutter

Intense Degree - Delighted to hear that you've had the opportunity to flex your creative muscles! Welcome back to the forums, I'm sure putting together a MAGS entry is a great way to shake off the game development cobwebs.

Unfortunately your download link doesn't seem to work for me, I get a 404 error when I try to access it.

Intense Degree

Thanks! Hmmm, never used Itch before so might have to look at it. I have changed the link above to http://www.mediafire.com/file/ikabuvhi9k03fty/The_Penthouse.7z/file.

Just had a play of your game - really nice. Interesting story and characters and the art style fit nicely.

JackPutter

Ah, that's fixed it, I have been able to download and run your game! I've started to play it, and here's just a little thing to bring to your attention...
Spoiler
If you search the body more than once, or use an item on the body, you end up with multiple copies of the mobile phone!
[close]

I'm really glad you liked my game! I took a bit of a risk with that art style and I'm glad you think it paid off. I've just started playing your game, I'll let you know my thoughts when I do a roundup of all the entries once they arrive.

Cassiebsg

Sorry for the "late" entry, I had to upload it 3 times, as I was taking a screenshot I noticed a debug msg I forgot to turn off.

The bug of the invisible shooter is still there, so live with it until I have time to figure out why... probably just some bad logic on my code.  (laugh) (Fixed)

Anyway, I present you, yet another Battlestar Galactica 78 inspired game.

Over Roger

Story: After the Galactica left the 12 colonies, some humans were left behind. This warrior saw his home be destroyed and the last remain of humanity fly away. Not one to roll over and die, he vows to die fighting  to his last breath... or laser!

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dhrp74rh8og2tzi/Over_Roger_v0.5.zip/file

Keep in mind that this is still a prototype, and there's lots more I want to do with it.

- Game provides minutes of shooting entertainment (?). It's a plain shoot them up.
- A dazzling one enemy variation to shoot at!
- Use keyboard or mouse controls (choose on the settings page).
- 1280x720 & 32 bits of vast space (I could swear I've been here before  (wtf) ).
- No requirement of knowledge of the TV series what so ever.

Have fun! :-D

Edit: Fixed the invisible shooter bug, and a fixed some other stuff, plus fined tuned some stuff. Hope it's playable to the end though. (I haven't been able to  reach the end (roll) ).

Intense Degree

EDIT: Scratch that, found it! Only in one particular case.

Quote from: JackPutter on Thu 30/04/2020 22:48:51
Ah, that's fixed it, I have been able to download and run your game! I've started to play it, and here's just a little thing to bring to your attention...
Spoiler
If you search the body more than once, or use an item on the body, you end up with multiple copies of the mobile phone!
[close]

Hmmm, I genuinely can't reproduce this, can you let me have any more details?

Stupot

@Fernewelten

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 21/04/2020 03:06:27
Would a couple of extra days help?

Deadline is Midnight BST May 2nd (or thereabouts).

fernewelten

So, I can now proudly present:

Vertigo

Meet Luke, a tiny hermit living in a tall, tall tree. He would have loved to stay in his seclusion, but he must come out of his tree flat to prevent disaster from happening.

Will he manage?
Can you help him save his father?

Standard BASS interface. Get the inventory and main menu either via the "hamburger" icon or by pressing "i".
Download the game here

Have fun playing, and tell me what you think!

JackPutter

fernewelten - Congratulations on getting your entry in! I just downloaded it and started to play, unfortunately I came across a game-breaking error.

Spoiler
I was on the bridge next to the ladder. I had successfully made my way across and placed the crowbar into the broken ladder. However I still couldn't climb up, so I thought I might have missed something earlier on. I tried to head back to the left, but after the main character walked to the edge and said their line about not jumping, the game quit unexpectedly. It threw up this error message, maybe it will help you get to the bottom of the issue?

[close]

EDIT: I loaded the game up again and managed to get to the end, making sure to avoid repeating my previous mistakes!

Spoiler
Is it just me, or was the hexagon maze different the second time around? I swear I took a different route... Unless there are multiple paths you can take?
[close]

fernewelten

Hi Jack,

concerning that bug, bummer, I probably left the name of a deleted function in the events grid for an object. Thanks, I'll iron out that kink.
Edit: Found the problem.
Edit: Uploaded a version that has the bug fixed.

Concerning the maze:
Spoiler
You're right: The maze is randomly generated on-the-fly. It will be different in each game.
[close]

Intense Degree

@FerneWelten - nice, I had fun. with it

Unfortunately I also had a game breaking bug, sounds pretty similar to JackP

Spoiler

When I clicked in the position shown above with the mallet the game crashed and gave the following warning: Script : (room:311)[R 22] Character.Scaling: cannot set property unless ManualScaling is enabled
Spoiler

Quote from: JackPutter on Fri 01/05/2020 21:20:21

Spoiler
Is it just me, or was the hexagon maze different the second time around? I swear I took a different route... Unless there are multiple paths you can take?
[close]

I thought that too! If so how many variations are there...?

EDIT: Randomly generated - cool!
[close]
[close]

fernewelten

Quote from: Intense Degree on Fri 01/05/2020 21:59:18
Unfortunately I also had a game breaking bug, sounds pretty similar to JackP

Yes - same bug. I'd taken out a plank for visual reasons and then renamed all the planks with higher numbers so as not to leave a "numbering hole". So oPlank9 became oPlank8. Unfortunately, I wasn't thorough and let myself be distracted, so I forgot to edit the events grids and change the function names there, too.

I've fixed and re-uploaded the code.

fernewelten

Quote from: Intense Degree on Fri 01/05/2020 21:59:18
I thought that too! If so how many variations are there...?

I adapted an idea called "Recursive division" for generating a maze. Here's the idea for grids of square cells:

Take a piece of chequered paper (aka. grid paper, the paper you use for doing math, a grid of squares). Imagine that all the cell edges can either be solid "walls" or open "doors".

Now fold that paper along any line of cell edges. You get two smaller areas that have the fold line in common. Assume that you already know for both smaller areas that within each area, each cell can be reached from each other cell. Then this will be true for the whole paper, too, if the whole fold consists of walls except for just one door on the fold line. (Why? We already assumed that you can travel from each cell to each cell if those cells are within the same area. To travel from one area to a cell in the other area, first travel from the source cell to the cell that is next to the fold door. Cross areas through this fold door. From there, travel to your destination cell.)

So do exactly that after creating your fold: Make the whole fold into walls, then randomly choose just one wall on the fold and make that a door.

Now repeat that for each of the two smaller areas separately: Fold the area somewhere, make all the edges of the fold into walls, then open one door on the fold. You get four areas that are even smaller.

Rinse, repeat for ever dwindling areas until each area either contains two cells or just one cell. If the area has exactly two cells then connect them with a door and you are done; if it consists of just one cell, you are done.

Here's a good description of the algorithm.
Here's a page that will show this algorithm in action visually (and lots of others, too).

I've adapted that idea to hexagonal grids with the following idea. In a grid of squares, you have TWO angles for the folds to choose from: A fold can be either horizontal or vertical. In contrast, there are THREE angles for the folds to choose from in hexagonal grids. This means that the folding operations can yield "irregular" shapes, and you must take great care to keep track of just what cells are on both sides of the folding lines.

Cassiebsg

I've updated my game. :)
unless someone reports any serious bug that needs fixing, I won't upload anymore versions of it for MAGS. Hope you have some fun shooting raiders.  ;-D (assuming you enjoy shooting games)

And welcome back fellow cavefish, Intense Degree.  ;)

Intense Degree

Hey Cassie, yep Cavefish for life, i've still got the tattoos and everything! 8-) Glad to see you're still active and productive around here!  :)

I played the first version of your game and liked it - will definitely check out the updated version soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk