MAGS April "Sky High" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/04/2020 09:55:51

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS April?

Skyfall
2 (12.5%)
Upducted
1 (6.3%)
Midnight Squadron
5 (31.3%)
The Penthouse
6 (37.5%)
Over Roger
0 (0%)
Vertigo
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: Mon 25/05/2020 09:59:15

heltenjon

Over Roger:
So I've been shooting at some cylons...

Spoiler
After a while, I run out of enemies, and a message popped up onscreen. I managed to read "You should not" and then it disappeared. I guess this is the end of the game, but what was that message?
[close]

Just wondering.

Cassiebsg

Uhm... "bug! You should not been seeing this message"...  :-\
You should have gotten the "you win" with the total score and play time. Sorry, like I said I haven't been able to play it to end, I always die around wave 3...  (roll) I suck at this

I'll move the end code to that "spot" instead. And upload a new version, since the deadline hasn't been reached yet.

Edit: here's the new version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dhrp74rh8og2tzi/Over_Roger_v0.5.zip/file
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

heltenjon

Over Roger fully operational, over!

pell

I've updated mine just to bring up the "Quit game?" dialog at the end. I'm looking forward to playing the other games.

pell

Quote from: JackPutter on Thu 30/04/2020 16:17:34
MIDNIGHT SQUADRON

GAME LINK: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2438-midnight-squadron-mags-april-2020-/

SYNOPSIS: In the skies above war-torn Europe, trouble strikes the crew of an RAF bomber as it returns from its mission. The aircraft's copilot Fredericks needs to get to the bottom of what's going on, and live to tell the tale.

SCREENSHOTS:

FEATURES:

• An original horror story full of mystery and suspense
  • Faux 16-colour graphics
  • Approximately 15-20 minutes of gameplay
  • Occasional strong violence and gore
  • "Beneath A Steel Sky" style interface - Left click to interact, right click to examine

If you are a fan of horror films or scary stories in general, I hope you will enjoy this game! Please let me know what you think of it, it is my most ambitious project to date and I would love to hear your feedback. There were a few things I really wanted to include but I had to set aside because of the time constraints. I enjoyed making this one a lot, even if it was quite taxing!

This is my third MAGS entry in a row, and I think it will be my last for a little while. I had never developed a game before entering this February's MAGS competition, and while taking part in these contests has been a great way to learn I feel a little worn out. I haven't had the chance to actually PLAY any games since January! So I'll probably sit out of the competition for a month or two.

Anyway, I hope you all have fun with my entry, and best of luck to all those still putting the finishing touches on theirs!

I played it last night and enjoyed it. Those RAF officers are unshakeable, huh? The logo on the side of the plane is a nice touch.

pell

Quote from: Intense Degree on Thu 30/04/2020 20:28:43
Hi all - so it's been a while since I was last around here, and I was always more of a lurker than anything so I'll not expect you to remember me.

But anyway, thanks to the lockdown, downtime, bank holidays and a whole host of late nights, I have actually managed to cobble something together for the first time in over a decade!

The Penthouse

A struggling artist receives a commission to paint a portrait of a wealthy businessman in his Penthouse apartment, but this apparent stroke of luck turns into something rather different.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ikabuvhi9k03fty/The_Penthouse.7z/file to Download.

EDIT: Uploaded a version with a quick bugfix - at https://www.mediafire.com/file/djw6vzhc1gkn6gp/The_Penthouse_v1.1.7z/file

I played it tonight and got...
Spoiler
two passes out of five, but it was the two I was looking for (save your own skin),
[close]
...so I was satisfied. I'll have to go back and try the game again with the goal of achieving the others. My only real criticism so far is that the...
Spoiler
knife
[close]
...was a little bit of a pixel hunt for me. It blended with its surroundings enough for me not to notice it until I started clicking around.

pell

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 30/04/2020 23:17:07
Sorry for the "late" entry, I had to upload it 3 times, as I was taking a screenshot I noticed a debug msg I forgot to turn off.

The bug of the invisible shooter is still there, so live with it until I have time to figure out why... probably just some bad logic on my code.  (laugh) (Fixed)

Anyway, I present you, yet another Battlestar Galactica 78 inspired game.

Over Roger

Story: After the Galactica left the 12 colonies, some humans were left behind. This warrior saw his home be destroyed and the last remain of humanity fly away. Not one to roll over and die, he vows to die fighting  to his last breath... or laser!

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dhrp74rh8og2tzi/Over_Roger_v0.5.zip/file

Keep in mind that this is still a prototype, and there's lots more I want to do with it.

- Game provides minutes of shooting entertainment (?). It's a plain shoot them up.
- A dazzling one enemy variation to shoot at!
- Use keyboard or mouse controls (choose on the settings page).
- 1280x720 & 32 bits of vast space (I could swear I've been here before  (wtf) ).
- No requirement of knowledge of the TV series what so ever.

Have fun! :-D

Edit: Fixed the invisible shooter bug, and a fixed some other stuff, plus fined tuned some stuff. Hope it's playable to the end though. (I haven't been able to  reach the end (roll) ).

Nice. This is the one game I'll probably keep playing after the voting is over. But then I'm old school. My first game was a Space Invaders clone.

JackPutter

pell - Thank you so much for playing! I'm very glad you had fun with it and that the characters came across that way to you. Classic British stiff-upper-lip, what-what!

Stupot

Six entries, if I'm not mistaken. Another great turnout. And welcome back Intense Degree. Long time no see.

Here are the entries. Please vote using the poll at the top of the page.

Skyfall
by Slasher
Upducted
by Pell
Midnight Squadron
by JackPutter
The Penthouse
by Intense Degree
Over Roger
by Cassiebsg
Vertigo
by Fernewelten

As always, please let me know if I've missed anything or made any mistakes.

Happy Voting!

Shadow1000

Wow! 6 entries this month, all with great adaptations of the theme. That said, making my voting decision hasn't been this easy since last month's competition   ;)

So, here are my thoughts:

Skyfall by Slasher
Spoiler
This one has Slasher's style all over it! The overall feel, section-by-section things to solve, a couple of good laughs. Good job!
[close]

Upducted by Pell
Spoiler
Good introductory project for learning AGS. I am using Windows and the game ran smoothly.
[close]

Midnight Squadron by JackPutter
Spoiler
Creepy! I enjoyed this interactive story and the colour palate contributed to the mood.
[close]

The Penthouse by Intense Degree
Spoiler
Outstanding entry. It's actually quite rare for such a complete project to be made under such time constraints. From the story to the puzzle to the graphics. A lot of original thinking in here. My favourite part was the puzzles. I was able to solve them on my own yet they were challenging enough to be satisfying as I completed them and the game progressed.

I am blown away that there are multiple endings as well. You better believe I played the ending till I got a perfect score.

If you choose to develop it further, you may consider putting in more sound effects. I realize that when you're under time constraints, decisions have to be made so if this is the only compromise then you did really well.

One thought/observation:
Hebrew is read from right to left. When I did the slider puzzle, I naturally did it in the natural order that one would expect considering the direction of the language. When that didn't work, I had to do the puzzle over in order to complete it which did NOT brighten my day! I'm not criticizing but I do want to express that
[close]

Over Roger by Cassiebsg
Spoiler
How did you know that as a kid, Space Invaders was my favourite video game?? (Ok, I'll admit there weren't many to choose from ;)) Seriously, a space shooter using 21st century graphics and awesome music! Add to it the BSG Theme that Cassie is known for and you have a terrific game!

My only contention is that you only have the one precious ship :( The furthest I got was till wave 3. I wish the game were more forgiving. If you want to extend it when you have a chance, I'd add in more ships and a chance to recover lost ships and you'll have me playing this one all night...:D
[close]

Vertigo by Fernewelten
Spoiler
I think it took about 4 seconds from when the game started that I realized that this entry was made by the author of Jake's Last Journey! Some good puzzles that I will admit took some time to crack, and that maze was freaking unbelievably fun!!  The thinking behind the game was really unique.
[close]

In case you couldn't tell, my vote went to
Spoiler
The Penthouse. Probably the hardest part of game design is designing and building puzzles with the right difficulty to pace the story and this one really nailed that.
[close]

I don't know how the other voters will feel but you get a huge congrats from me, even if I'm your only vote! :D

pell

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 10/04/2020 08:01:30
Skyfall

Tweaked and improved a couple of things...

I played Skyfall last night and today. It has nice graphics, and I like the variety of puzzles. My only problem was that I was stuck for a while until I realized that...
Spoiler
right-clicking on things is necessary to trigger certain events and continue the game.
[close]

pell

Quote from: fernewelten on Fri 01/05/2020 21:03:24
So, I can now proudly present:

Vertigo

Meet Luke, a tiny hermit living in a tall, tall tree. He would have loved to stay in his seclusion, but he must come out of his tree flat to prevent disaster from happening.

Will he manage?
Can you help him save his father?

Standard BASS interface. Get the inventory and main menu either via the "hamburger" icon or by pressing "i".
Download the game here

Have fun playing, and tell me what you think!

Cute story and game. I especially liked the intro animation. My only real problem early in the game was that...
Spoiler
the crowbar graphic was practically indistinguishable from the cracks in the walkway. I think I found it by accidentally clicking on it.
[close]

pell

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 04/05/2020 23:19:52
Upducted by Pell
Spoiler
Good introductory project for learning AGS. I am using Windows and the game ran smoothly.
[close]

Thank you.

Spoiler
Outstanding entry. It's actually quite rare for such a complete project to be made under such time constraints. From the story to the puzzle to the graphics. A lot of original thinking in here. My favourite part was the puzzles. I was able to solve them on my own yet they were challenging enough to be satisfying as I completed them and the game progressed.

I am blown away that there are multiple endings as well. You better believe I played the ending till I got a perfect score.

If you choose to develop it further, you may consider putting in more sound effects. I realize that when you're under time constraints, decisions have to be made so if this is the only compromise then you did really well.

One thought/observation:
Hebrew is read from right to left. When I did the slider puzzle, I naturally did it in the natural order that one would expect considering the direction of the language. When that didn't work, I had to do the puzzle over in order to complete it which did NOT brighten my day! I'm not criticizing but I do want to express that
[close]

Spoiler
The slider puzzle was solvable? Awww. After a while I decided breaking it was supposed to be the solution, so I gave up and broke it.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: pell on Tue 05/05/2020 03:13:47

Spoiler

One thought/observation:
[close]

Spoiler
The slider puzzle was solvable? Awww. After a while I decided breaking it was supposed to be the solution, so I gave up and broke it.
[close]

Spoiler
Theoretically, all slider puzzles are solvable. As I said in my comments, I solved it first from right to left, then left to right. How did you break it? I think that would have been more satisfying :)
[close]

pell

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 05/05/2020 03:54:30

Spoiler

One thought/observation:
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Theoretically, all slider puzzles are solvable. As I said in my comments, I solved it first from right to left, then left to right. How did you break it? I think that would have been more satisfying :)
[close]

Spoiler
The game provides that alternative if you notice it.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: pell on Tue 05/05/2020 04:09:35
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 05/05/2020 03:54:30

Spoiler

One thought/observation:
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Indeed it does! I could have saved a few minutes!

Intense Degree

Some short reviews from me:

Skyfall - Slasher

Spoiler
Interesting idea with a happy ending. Several little mini-game style puzzles to complete with enough variety to keep things interesting. The spaceman sprite and feel of 'floating' worked really
well in the first bit I thought.
[close]

Midnight Squadron - JackPutter

Spoiler
I like the look of this game, the 'sepia' sort of colour scheme is a good fit for the subject matter and the tone was set well. An interesting story - felt like it could be part of a much bigger tale and the characters were written in a way that helped set the scene.
[close]

Over Roger - CassieBG

Spoiler
Fun little shooter - and why am I not surprised it's Battlestar Galactica themed?! ;) To be honest I'm rubbish at this sort of game so I'm probably not the best person to judge, but I enjoyed several runs through. Also, is it me or did it get harder in the newer version?
[close]

Upducted

Spoiler
A fun little couple of minutes. The little guy's walking animation makes me smile. Nice little test project. :)
[close]

The Penthouse

Spoiler
Looks like it's been drawn by a 12 year old. Character sprites are bad but walking animations are frankly embarassing. Over-reliance on system interfaces as puzzles. There is an attempt at a story but it doesn't quite hang together.
[close]

Vertigo

Spoiler
Can't stop being impressed by the implementation of the randomly drawn maze sequence. Proof positive that mazes in games aren't always bad. ;-D
[close]

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 04/05/2020 23:19:52
Spoiler
One thought/observation:
[close]

Ah man, that was actually the plan from the word go and then I completely forgot about it! It's a solid and constructive criticism, so please feel free to make it. :)

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Yep. I wanted to code a slider puzzle, partly to check I remembered how to use structs, but they're much more fun to code than to solve in my view, so I gave an alternative for all those who just want to destroy them whenever they see them!
[close]

pell

Quote from: Intense Degree on Tue 05/05/2020 08:58:15
Upducted

Spoiler
A fun little couple of minutes. The little guy's walking animation makes me smile. Nice little test project. :)
[close]

Thank you. The walkcycle animation was my biggest challenge.

QuoteThe Penthouse

Spoiler
Looks like it's been drawn by a 12 year old. Character sprites are bad but walking animations are frankly embarassing. Over-reliance on system interfaces as puzzles. There is an attempt at a story but it doesn't quite hang together.
[close]

I thought the graphics were pretty good.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Yep. I wanted to code a slider puzzle, partly to check I remembered how to use structs, but they're much more fun to code than to solve in my view, so I gave an alternative for all those who just want to destroy them whenever they see them!
[close]

I went back and solved it, so I'm redeemed. :)

JackPutter

I have just finished playing through all of the entries, I think that the quality of entries this month is extremely high! Everyone should be really proud of what they entered, I got a lot of enjoyment out of my time with the games! Here are my thoughts:

Skyfall by Slasher
Spoiler
A very fun space adventure with interesting and varied puzzles. There were nice"Aha!" moments when I realised the solutions to each of the puzzles, which are especially strong in the early section where you have to fix the ship. The overall story surrounding the game's events was a nice touch, and the graphics had a distinct and unique style. One thing that did frustrate me was that sometimes I would work out the solution to a puzzle but I wouldn't be able to actually solve it until I had examined the area involved. (E.g. I tried using the shovel on the gold dust since I figured that's where the gold nuggets would be, but it wouldn't work until I had right-clicked on the gold dust first. Same with flying into the crevice, I knew I had to go down there but I couldn't actually do that until I'd right-clicked on it.) I've now played a handful of games from Slasher and I definitely got the most fun out of this one, I think it's one of his strongest!
[close]

Upducted by pell
Spoiler
What a cute game! I loved the whole aesthetic, it came across to me as a child's picture book come to life. Very simple concept, but effectively executed. There was really only one puzzle, but I thought it was a great one because it did the main thing all good puzzles should do - it made me feel smart when I solved it. There was a slight lack of polish (e.g. starting with inventory items that never need to be used) but knowing that this is the author's first ever game makes those things understandable. This really was a bite-sized treat! I'm looking forward to what pell does next.
[close]

Midnight Squadron by JackPutter
Spoiler
Dialogue-heavy and barely a game. No puzzles to speak of ("use fire extinguisher on fire" is about as complicated as it gets) and the dialogue trees don't actually affect the story in any way. It's like watching a very poorly-animated cartoon that occasionally pauses every two minutes and you have to press play to continue the story. The main character is a wimp. The game is also VERY poorly optimised. A 51MB download? What did the author do, leave a 15-minute music track in the project when they compiled it?
[close]

Spoiler
There is a lot in this game that I think is really wonderful! The central concept of erasing evidence is a fantastic hook to drive the plot in an interesting way. The puzzles were imaginative, varied, and challenging-but-not-too-challenging. I really liked the graphical style, the simplistic artwork with great use of perspective is something I found really endearing. The ending was a terrific touch, it instantly made me want to play again to see what I had missed. I am especially impressed by how mature the author has been in certain areas, for instance with the sliding tile puzzle. A lot of developers would be so chuffed that they had managed to code one that they would force the players to solve them, and it took great humility to be willing to toss all that aside and give the player an alternate way to progress. There's only two very small areas that weren't quite to my taste. The first is just general quality-of-life things, such as the text being quite small in relation to everything else and the movement speed being just a little too slow for my liking, but these are things that no doubt result from the short one-month development time and can be forgiven. The other thing that I wasn't fully on board with was the way the main character acted. It's a long tradition in adventure games to have the player character give snarky responses when they examine things, but when Charlotte watched a man DIE in front of her and then proceeded to walk around his house insulting his taste in art and furniture... well it didn't exactly make me root for her. The concept was so good that I played it right through to the end, but more because I wanted to find out if I could successfully cover my tracks as opposed to actually wanting that particular character to succeed. As I said though, these are very minor criticisms, and as a whole I thought this was a really terrific entry!
[close]

Over Roger by Cassiebsg
Spoiler
A really great time-killer for sure, I've loaded it up more than once throughout the day just to see if I can get that little bit farther each time. The music and graphics are great, I particularly LOVED the scrolling backgrounds. I have never seen anything Battlestar Galactica related so I was very glad that I didn't need to know anything about the franchise to enjoy this game! I played it using the mouse controls which were very responsive, though I think I nearly wore out my left mouse button by clicking so much. A function to press and hold the button to shoot would be a lovely feature! An overall criticism would be that there isn't a particularly huge amount of content, but that can be forgiven since (a) this is just a demo, and (b) THIS WAD CODED IN AN ADVENTURE GAME CREATION ENGINE. It boggles my mind how the author managed to code such a smooth and fluid arcade shooter using a programme that is in no way designed for anything remotely close to that. This shows off some lovely mechanics and I would love to see them incorporated into a full game of some description.
[close]

Vertigo by Fernewelten
Spoiler
This game is just dripping character from every frame. I really loved the simple-but-effective plotline, and Luke was a really memorable and likable character. Little moments like the way he pokes his head out of the door before leaving the house really made me smile. The music and art style were both really pretty and suited the story extremely well. On the gameplay front I enjoyed the variety of puzzles and how they came in different forms; there was a maze, some use-inventory-on-object classics, and even a spot-the-hidden-item moment that gave me a giggle when I realised what was going on! (I was particularly impressed to learn the maze is randomly generated, to implement that kind of thing in a game that you only have 30 days to create is very impressive!) My main criticism would be similar to what I said about Slasher's entry, that is I don't particularly like puzzles where I HAVE to examine something before I can use it. I knew that I needed to use a piece of railing and what the correct use for it was, but left-clicking wasn't enough to pick it up. In general though I thought that this was really fun to play, looked and sounded great, and told a lovely story. Top-notch stuff!
[close]

As I said at the beginning, the standard of entries this month has been really high in my opinion, and I think all of the authors deserve praise and congratulations for what they have achieved. It's things like this that make me feel very happy to be part of the AGS community, and even though I haven't been here long it's still obvious that there are many talented and creative folks here.

To quickly respond to a couple of folks who said nice things about my entry:

Shadow1000:
Spoiler
I'm really glad you enjoyed it, the fact you actually called it creepy means an awful lot! I was afraid I wouldn't be able to actually make it scary. I think the way you described it as an "interactive story" is pretty spot-on. I originally had many more puzzles and interactions planned but as the time I had left grew shorter and shorter I had to ditch them one by one until all that remained was the bare-bones story. I'm relieved that the colour choices worked for you! Thank you so much for playing and for giving your feedback.
[close]

Intense Degree:
Spoiler
I'm thrilled that you liked the graphical style and that you thought I established a good tone! Setting a tone is so difficult, I'm very happy you thought I did well there. Similarly I'm chuffed that you thought the story and characters came together, since I couldn't add more puzzles I used the time I had to try and make the characters as interesting as I could. Creating this game gave me lots of ideas for expanding the story, it feels a lot like an "Act I" to me now... there may be more adventures with Fredericks to come!
[close]

Cassiebsg

Thanks for the comments.  :)

Currently there's really only 5 waves, so I decided no extra lives or power ups, or anything. Just a little simple shooter to entertain for a few minutes. I added the time for those that like a challenge, since the points currently are "fixed" (no ships escape, they just start over until you kill the wave completely). In the future I'll probably let them go by... but that needs another level design entirely. ;)

Shadow, I'm also rubbish at this kind of games...  (laugh)

Here's a tip, for those that just want to finish the game (even though the Win game GUI is currently identical to the Game over, expect for the text).
Spoiler

If you quickly shoot the 2 or 3 in the middle, you can then just stay there and wait until they come to you, or you can slowly move to the left, since the ones disappearing on the right will "materialize" on the left.  ;)
[close]

@Intense Degree I did increase the speed of the lasers from 14 to 16, but I think that the raiders are moving at the same speed. +2 on wave 2 and then +1 for each additional wave (this was already set before). Oh, I also added laser alternating  left and right cannons for the viper and raiders (not sure I did this in this last update or on the previous version).

I want to do a lot more levels, different stuff to shoot at (currently adding a Basestar, as the "level's boss"  (laugh) ) and include a story mode (optional) that will run in between levels.

Cheers, now I need to find some time to play all these wonderful games.  :)

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk