Covers that are better than the original

Started by RickJ, Sun 05/04/2020 01:56:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

I'm not sure if "better" is the right word, but this MS Paint Furby cover of Blue by Eiffel 65 really is something, and it sure cracked me up.

TheFrighter

Well, if dancemix counts as cover then...

_

dactylopus

Tronic DX7 - Red Soil (Lower Brinstar)

Yes, a cover of some Metroid music.

dactylopus

Here's a good one:

José Gonzalez - Teardrop (Massive Attack cover)

As much as I love the original track (which some may recognize as the opening theme for the show House), I just enjoy listening to this one more.  Both are intimate in different ways.  And while looking in the comments of the original track on YouTube, I read that this version was used in the recent Michael Jordan documentary The Last Dance.  So that's neat.

José Gonzalez also does a fantastic cover of Heartbeats by The Knife.  It's damn good, but I just don't like it more than the original.

Olleh19

dactylopus

Quote from: Olleh19 on Mon 25/05/2020 13:53:56
(Cats in the Cradle)
That's a tough one.  This is a really good cover, updated for a more modern audience, but I really like the original.

Here's one that is so different from the original that it's really tough to say which is 'better':

The Cardigans - Iron Man

I love the original, no doubt about that, but I often prefer listening to this one.  It's really relaxing!  I love a cover that totally reinvents the song, and this one definitely does that.

KyriakosCH

Cobain's version of "The man who sold the world" is more famous than the original - but I never cared about Bowie.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

dactylopus

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 25/05/2020 21:21:53
Cobain's version of "The man who sold the world" is more famous than the original - but I never cared about Bowie.
Bowie's original is fine, but Nirvana's cover is fantastic:

Laura Hunt

Siouxsie's "The Last Beat of my Heart" is fantastic, but Devotchka's more passionate reinterpretation just suits the song better than the original's languidness, in my opinion:

Original:

KyriakosCH

Not exactly a cover, but a reworking to minor key:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGflu3TbREo

Far better than the original. Major key is for normies ^_^
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Marcin K.

Racoon

I don´t really know if this hits the forums musical taste, but I instantly had to think of this when its about good covers. So much better than the original! And Aurora is just etheral.

dactylopus

The last few have been fantastic.

Personally, I like this one:

Khruangbin - Il Clan Dei Siciliani (Ennio Morricone Cover)

But I do love Khruangbin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk