Discworld?

Started by milkanannan, Sun 05/04/2020 12:00:06

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Was thinking of reading a Discworld novel, but I'm not really sure where to start. Can any fans of the series suggest a good starting point?

[This topic was split from this. â€"Snarky]

Danvzare

Quote from: manannan on Sun 05/04/2020 12:00:06
Was thinking of reading a Discworld novel, but I'm not really sure where to start. Can any fans of the series suggest a good starting point?
Congratulations on the 16 year necropost.
As for where to start. Why not the first one? The Colour of Magic?

milkanannan

Oh yeah love a good necropost  :=

Have you read them Danzare? Apparently there are many different 'starting points', as the books come at the narrative from eight or nine different plot lines (see helpful image below). Was just curious if someone had a recommendation.

Babar

I think chronological order of release is fine. They're good books, enjoy!

...reading 10 year old immortalised conversations with long gone people is a bit disturbing.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Snarky

I think the first book or most of the first few books are not necessarily the best starting point, since it takes a while for the universe, the tone and the comedy to gel. The first two in particular are quite different from the rest of the seriesâ€"much more a direct fantasy parody. I actually enjoy them a lot, but they're not representative. It's better to go back and read them laterâ€"then you get a sort of The Magician's Nephew prequel effect of seeing how certain things came to be (notably how the librarian became an orangutan).

I'm in the middle of a re-read right now (literally the middleâ€"I'm halfway through Jingo), and I would suggest Guards! Guards! (no. 8) as a starting point. Mort (no. 4) is also commonly recommended, but I personally prefer Equal Rites (no. 3), even if it does have some early-installment weirdness.

Are you looking mainly for comedy, fantasy worldbuilding, social satire, moral philosophy, coming-of-age fantasy stories, or what? Different Discworld books cater to different tastes.

I strongly disagree with the author about starting with Sourcery. It has some interesting bits, but overall it's one of the weakest books in the series.

milkanannan

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 05/04/2020 14:15:11
I think the first book or most of the first few books are not necessarily the best starting point, since it takes a while for the universe, the tone and the comedy to gel.

Yeah that is exactly what I read elsewhere online, so I sort of thought best to ask others that know the series. My wife and I are about to do an Amazon order and I thought I'd toss a few Discworlds in.

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 05/04/2020 14:15:11
Are you looking mainly for comedy, fantasy worldbuilding, social satire, moral philosophy, coming-of-age fantasy stories, or what? Different Discworld books cater to different tastes.

I don't really know what to say. I guess fantasy world building. It's more for a chill down read right before bed, so anything that keeps the pages turning and gives me the 'Discworld experience' so I kind of know what it's all about. Cheers Snarky

Snarky

The argument for chronological order is that you might enjoy The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic more if you haven't already formed an expectation of what a Discworld book is supposed to be, and then as it evolves you'll follow along with it. I still think your best bet is Guards! Guards! though.

If you're picking up a few to start with, you could do a lot worse than each of the "starter novels" in that chart (except for Moving Pictures, which I would not recommend). They're all more or less independent of each other so they can be read in any order, and they're all pretty good.

milkanannan

Sweet - many thanks mate. Guards Guards and one or two others it is then. Thanks!

Mandle

Quote from: manannan on Sun 05/04/2020 15:10:55
Sweet - many thanks mate. Guards Guards and one or two others it is then. Thanks!

I would definitely recommend Mort. That's my alltime favorite of the series and doesn't require a past knowledge of famous characters.

I also think it has the strongest story and most relatable and likable characters. Best writing too.

heltenjon

I prefer to read the books roughly in order, but in sequences, e.g. reading all the Watch books in a row. My faves are the Witches, although my all time number one Discworld book is Small Gods.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk