Space Quest - A Son of Xenon

Started by Leisure Suit Harry, Thu 23/04/2020 12:23:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Leisure Suit Harry

Hi all,

"A Son of Xenon" is a non-profit fan-made adventure game and Space Quest prequel.
It looks like Sierra’s Space Quest III (or Police Quest 2 or Larry 2) which means: 320x200 EGA graphics with a lot of dithering effects; It's icon controlled, though, and the music is more advanced, too.

The plot starts on Roger’s home planet (shortly before Space Quest I) and we get to know a hardworking smart Roger, a true son of Xenon. We will learn how he became the guy we love and there's this thing with the sun which seems to be dying...

Roger spends the first part of the game (other chapters will follow - hopefully) in his office and studio apartment. When Roger, ending up in a bar, meets a woman who is simply too gorgeous to be true, a story of love and betrayal unfolds...

Download link on the AGS games database:

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2436-a-son-of-xenon-a-space-quest-prequel/

For those who have played my first game “Decisions of the Elders”. “A Son of Xenon” takes place some 20 years later and is technically more mature than its predecessor.

PS: In case your antivirus program detects malware in the game exe: This is a false positive and has already been reported to Kaspersky in order to get the game whitelisted. If your antivirus still rebels, please create a new folder (before you download the game there) and tell your antivirus to exclude this folder from monitoring.

Yours Boston McShew (aka Leisure Suit Harry)

arj0n

Congratz on the release!

I had the pleasure testing this demo, and I can say it's well done fangame (demo), both graphic- and story-wise!
There's also a lot of funny interaction comments which enriches the game.

Looking forward to the next chapter and, eventually the complete game.

Note:
For those who get stuck on the 'Elevator Code' puzzle (which is kinda tough):
Make sure you do read the in the zip file included Hintbook, "chapter 7 â€" Wow to ride the elevator â€" part II" ;)

Leisure Suit Harry

Quote from: arj0n on Thu 23/04/2020 13:02:55

For those who get stuck on the 'Elevator Code' puzzle (which is kinda tough):
Make sure you do read the in the zip file included Hintbook, "chapter 7 â€" Wow to ride the elevator â€" part II" ;)

In fact, I had taken your test result seriously, Arj0n, and added some hints so that any player who takes the time to read, should be able to finish the game without the hintbook.

agentbauer

Good game, just finished it, but the elevator puzzle is really hard...
And and ending with cliffhanger, now you have to make another chapter.
Roger Wilco Rules
NEW HOMEPAGE: http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at
Space Quest IV.5 Version 3.00 is finally done, check it out:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=40735.msg538357;boardseen#new

sthomannch

I enjoyed this game because of the style and a few fresh puzzles. Was not too hard once you got the information
Spoiler

door code, ok several steps with the arcade, but who would not try to play Astrochicken?
[close]
Took me a bit more time
Spoiler

the antenna and the pigeon hole
[close]
Looking forward to the next chapter.

Sledgy

Who has this game? The link on the site is broken. Can you put here mediafire-link?

Privateer Puddin'

AnaMoon

I really enjoyed it! Good work  (nod)
My gameplay:
Spoiler

arj0n

sthomannch

The link is working (again)...

A nice game, I enjoyed it

Shadow1000

I finally got a chance to play the game. Maybe more hints were put into the game, but I really did not get stuck too much. The only hint I needed was:
Spoiler
to get the cable. It didn't occur to me to interact with the item that gives you the cable. The elevator puzzle was not a challenge as the approach to the solution was hinted several times before getting there.
[close]

Overall, a very puzzle-heavy game with a few good chuckles. I liked the repeated references to not being a janitor. The puzzles were well-designed at at that level that I just had a great experience without getting frustrated. Awesome pixel art and I NEED to know what happens next!!!

Great job!

Sledgy

You can make SQ7 in this style :)

Monsieur OUXX

I'm reviving the thread to say that this game should be made available as a template for any game that has the EGA Space Quest aesthetics. It has everything, even the fonts, and it's very polished up.

selmiak

I'm reviving the thread to say I like the game and recorded a longplay just in case... ;-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjRr-XI1R4

Sledgy

Leisure Suit Harry

Quote from: Sledgy on Mon 10/05/2021 15:50:54
When will episode 2 be?
I have the framework of the whole story in my head, but unfortunately I don't have time for Roger at the moment. Too many other non-computer related projects... I do want to continue, but I do not yet know when. But definitely not until the Space Quest Historian has published a let's play video of the first part  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk