[FEATURE REQUEST] Ability to create 16 character facing directions

Started by Nurz, Tue 05/09/2023 15:06:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Nurz

Will you consider creating 8 more walking directions in the Views node? Meaning, three diagonals instead of one for each quadrant.

Thank you.

Crimson Wizard

I believe this may be a valid option for AGS 4. This, along with settings to define the direction angles.

Snarky

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 05/09/2023 15:23:18along with settings to define the direction angles.

I believe I have mentioned this before, but in this case it should be a setting per walkable area, as the foreshortening can vary even within a room, depending on the angle each surface is viewed from (for example if a room is divided into floors at two different levels, or if part of the ground is angled).

(Properly speaking it should also vary by distance, but that might be getting a bit too complicated. Perhaps if it was made dynamic, it would be possible to script it.)

Nurz

Awesome!

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 05/09/2023 15:41:05(Properly speaking it should also vary by distance, but that might be getting a bit too complicated. Perhaps if it was made dynamic, it would be possible to script it.)

Do you mean to gradually slow down the movement when walking up the y-axis, to imitate longer traversed distance when they walk further to the background? That would be great too. It would also make sense to work vice-versa and accelerate when walking down (forth) again.

Crimson Wizard

This goes out of scope of what we usually plan for the engine. Besides, how many users will actually going to use this, in a 2D point & click game?

Perhaps it may be better to provide enough script API to let users script this system themselves.

Then someone could write a module for this.

In other words, then, it may be better to investigate which data has to be available in script, and which commands are necessary to script such system.

Nurz

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 05/09/2023 16:14:41This goes out of scope of what we usually plan for the engine.

You're referring to more walking directions, or just the distance thing?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk