Suggest a nice horror adventure

Started by KyriakosCH, Tue 28/04/2020 18:44:26

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Something dark, and if possible also somewhat serious (not comedic/silly plot :) ).

I liked the original Gabriel Knight, which imo while Gabriel stays in New Orleans was a really dark game. But when he leaves it becomes a comedy, and ultimately was a let down in that way.
I recently watched a video of the entire gameplay of Gabriel Knight 3, which is similar (starts ok-ish, but by the end is ridiculous). Though GK3 already was in this respect burdened by the chapters which preceded it.

Phantasmagoria had some good moments, and so did Dark Seed. But something more psychological would be preferable...

Harvester was...  (laugh)

You can suggest either a big company or an indie game.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

milkanannan

I watched a playthrough about a year ago of a game (name escapes me) with a girl home alone and suffering from amnesia. The whole game is spent trying to figure out what happened to her family. She ends up uncovering a crawlspace and it gets kind of dark from there. (If this rings a bell with anyone maybe they could pass on the title.)

If you don't mind Abandonware: The Last Half of Darkness was creepy. I also always thought the Alone in the Dark games maintained a consistent level of creepiness. They may not have enough 'adventure' gameplay for you, though.

JackPutter

I've dabbled in a few horror adventure games recently, I haven't had the time to play any to completion so I'll give you my first impressions.

The Lost Crown - This has a nice M. R. James, classic ghost story feel to it. The story is about a man who arrives at a small coastal village in England where all is not quite as it seems. The aesthetic is really nice, you can almost see the fog rolling across the waves and out of your computer screen. It seemed a little slow paced but I will definitely be going back to complete it soon.

The White Chamber - A sci-fi horror tale about a girl who wakes up on some kind of spacecraft with no memory of how she got there, and something awful has happened to the crew. I really liked the vibe of this one, some of the puzzles were a little obtuse but I did find it genuinely scary. The anime-style artwork and creepy sound design are top-notch. I stopped playing after I died due to something I couldn't possibly have foreseen, and just haven't had the chance to pick it up since. (It gets bonus points though, because it's absolutely free!)

Rusty Lake Hotel - Apparently there are dozens of Rusty Lake games, this is the only one I have played. Many are free flash games, from what I understand. In this one, you run a hotel where the guests become the menu, and you need to figure out how to kill them off for ingredients. The setting is utterly unique and macabre, though I didn't QUITE understand everything that was going on. It's also more of a puzzle game than an adventure game, though there certainly is a story being told in an oblique way.

Earthworms - Gorgeous hand-painted game about a private detective investigating a missing girl on a remote island. Brilliant music too. Features a good deal of body horror. It has a very unique sense of humour, and I didn't laugh as often as I was just confused by what happened, but that was actually unsettling in its own way. The English translation seemed to have some problems, and there were a few times I was confused about what was being said. I had to look up a walkthrough a lot while playing, sometimes because I was just being dense but more often because there was one particular obscure flag I hadn't triggered. I certainly enjoyed playing the first two hours or so, but I probably won't come back to it for a while.

Those are the ones I've played recently that I found memorable. Here's a list of games that are either in my Steam library or wishlist that loosely fall into the horror/adventure category:
Bad Dream: Coma
Bad Dream: Fever
The Cat Lady
Distraint
Distraint 2
Finding Teddy
Kona
Serena
The Slaughter: Act One
Stories Untold
The Terrible Old Man
Stasis
Jorry
World of Horror (Early Access)
Lone Survivor
Man of Medan
Scratches
Paratropic

Durq

Blondbraid

Quote from: Durq on Tue 28/04/2020 21:06:11
I liked Fran Bow quite a bit.
Second that, it reminded me strongly of Alice: Madness Returns but in Adventure game form.

KyriakosCH

Sally Face was similar to Fran Bow, imo, and arguably a bit better. Though it also becomes comedy and - in my view - the story was being made up as they went along.

At least Sally Face had a better look due to the titular character.

I think they based the protagonist's friend on Adrien Brody  (laugh)

Crimson Wizard

Everyone been telling Fran Bow is good, but I was not able to test that out because the overlay effects in the mental hospital were making me dizzy :(

Blondbraid

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 28/04/2020 22:29:58
Everyone been telling Fran Bow is good, but I was not able to test that out because the overlay effects in the mental hospital were making me dizzy :(
I don't even remember any overlay effects, but it's a shame that the option to turn such effects off isn't standard, and I can only imagine how frustrating the prevalence of this would be if you were suffering from something like epilepsy.

Still, I hope you find a workaround one day, because it is a very interesting game that manages to handle several dark topics well.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 28/04/2020 22:35:25
I don't even remember any overlay effects

It's when you take the pills, I think, the screen becomes covered with a reddish pulsing overlay, and unfortunately was making me sick real quick.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 28/04/2020 22:37:46
Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 28/04/2020 22:35:25
I don't even remember any overlay effects

It's when you take the pills, I think, the screen becomes covered with a reddish pulsing overlay, and unfortunately was making me sick real quick.
Yeah, I remember something like that, although it didn't make a very big impression on me. It's a shame they didn't test the game for players with nausea or headaches before releasing it,
because I think the game would probably be just as fine without them.

cat

I had the same issue with the second Nelly Cootalot game. I couldn't play it because it starts on a ship and the effect there made me seasick :(
I'm glad that the screens in Obra Dinn were frozen :P

KyriakosCH

Sometimes it doesn't take some intricate idea, or cool gfx, for a horror game to work. Eg Ao Oni.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk