MAGS May "Forgotten History" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/05/2020 09:04:12

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS May?

We'll Meet Again
2 (28.6%)
Day of the Dimetrodon
0 (0%)
Pride & Relatives
5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: Tue 16/06/2020 17:08:44

pell

I'm going to bow out unless I get a flash of inspiration for something I can do well in a couple of weeks. I like the idea I was thinking about, but it needs some more time to incubate.

Slasher

Quote from: pell on Wed 13/05/2020 00:57:57
I'm going to bow out unless I get a flash of inspiration for something I can do well in a couple of weeks. I like the idea I was thinking about, but it needs some more time to incubate.
Really hope you guys come up with something, and something to thrill us all again  (nod)

My entry is complete and I am testing/tweaking/adding....

"Think of something, Muffin. Otherwise it'll be Sauerkraut and Knackwurst sausages for tea! Have a word with them.
Lift the men's spirits up! They can't face the enemy like a bunch of crying schoolgirls!"  (laugh)

Slasher

Hi

My entry is ready for you guys to check out and hopefully those with eagle eyes and die-hards will report to me of any issues found.
(Tweaking as required.)

In a trench during the battle of the Somme during WW1 in France, the German's are bombarding the British trenches with heavy shells and machine guns. So far you have lost dozens of your friends and there seems no way of stopping the German war machine. The morale is quite low and every soldier has been told that they will be going 'Over the top' very soon into 'No man's land' to face the German's in bayonet combat like sheep facing lions.

Enter the world of British soldiers (Tommy's) fighting in the trenches under heavy fire from the Germans in WW1. What was it like? Every moment of their lives was spent in fear, and death was only a shot away. At times they would sing and tell jokes as a way to forget the horrors for a short while.... The thought of never returning home brought them nightmares and very soon they would be going 'Over the top'.

If there was only a way to stop all this bloodshed and madness.

You play as Corporal Muffin...

This was a time when PC never existed, not like it is today....

Uses Left Mouse Interact and Right Mouse Examine..

320x200

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2445-we-ll-meet-again-/

heltenjon

So I finally played We'll meet again today, and had a jolly good time.

My thoughts/bug report:

Spoiler
The message displayed in the screenshot above (Left mouse click etc.) looks like you should be able to click it away by clicking on the x, but it stayed on screen for the entire game, some times gently interfering with the dialogue display. Is this a bug?

In the radio operator's office, his graphic is doubled, so there is another hotspot in the upper left corner, where you can see his feet dangling, like he had hanged himself.

The game heavily channeled one of my favourite tv shows, the Black Adder. I enjoyed the dark humour and the sheer Englishness of the officer. I liked that the protagonist basically said the same to everyone, but got different answers...sort of. In a way, this is another mood piece with story in focus, as the puzzles are easy, even if they require some work.
[close]

Slasher

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 15/05/2020 21:40:30
So I finally played We'll meet again today, and had a jolly good time.

My thoughts/bug report:

Spoiler
The message displayed in the screenshot above (Left mouse click etc.) looks like you should be able to click it away by clicking on the x, but it stayed on screen for the entire game, some times gently interfering with the dialogue display. Is this a bug?

In the radio operator's office, his graphic is doubled, so there is another hotspot in the upper left corner, where you can see his feet dangling, like he had hanged himself.

The game heavily channeled one of my favourite tv shows, the Black Adder. I enjoyed the dark humour and the sheer Englishness of the officer. I liked that the protagonist basically said the same to everyone, but got different answers...sort of. In a way, this is another mood piece with story in focus, as the puzzles are easy, even if they require some work.
[close]

I have taken off the text at the bottom which was a reminder about mouse clicks..

The 'hanging feet' in the Radio room was an old object. I have got rid of it..

Cheers heltenjon..

New Build uploaded  (nod)

Slasher

Where is everyone?

It's lonely here  (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 18/05/2020 06:01:49
Where is everyone?

It's lonely here  (laugh)
Well, I've made some sprites for the main character of my entry;

But remember, she needs to bask in the sun for a while before she's warmed up enough for gameplay!  (laugh)

Slasher

Looks great Blondbraid... Hope you finish the game...Prehistoric times I presume?

Stick her in the micro for a while to warm her up  (laugh)

Fantastic ;)

Intense Degree

I really don't think I'm going to be able to manage anything this month, but I have sort of started something so hopefully posting it might give me some motivation to try and finish something very small.

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/N1vg7hU.png[/imgzoom]

Cassiebsg

If you need someone to push your button, just say so.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Radiant

Is it ironic that I've forgotten to check the MAGS at the beginning of this month? Because I usually do, for inspiration...

Stupot

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 26/05/2020 18:23:20
Is it ironic that I've forgotten to check the MAGS at the beginning of this month? Because I usually do, for inspiration...
Don’t worry. It’s all in the past.  ;)

Look out for the next topic on June 1st*

(*Hopefully. That’s also when I go back to work after 2 months off.)

VampireWombat

Is anyone still working on a game? Do I need to put something together last minute?

Deabriel

Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 26/05/2020 18:42:53
Is anyone still working on a game? Do I need to put something together last minute?
I'm working on a game, I hope can finish it in time.

Intense Degree

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 18/05/2020 21:48:22
If you need someone to push your button, just say so.  (laugh)

Wow Cassie, don't know which button you pressed but it seems to have  knocked me out for a few days there! :-D Just a heavy cold/flu type thing I think rather than the the dreaded Covid.

I really don't have much, but It's not nothing so I might try and cobble something very small and partly unfinished together.

Slasher

Quote from: Intense Degree on Wed 27/05/2020 08:45:17

I really don't have much, but It's not nothing so I might try and cobble something very small and partly unfinished together.
Why not make it shorter and complete? Half baked is half done...   But let's see...

VampireWombat

Okay, two people still working on games. Then I probably won't push myself to make something. But if either of you needs help in finishing yours, feel free to ask.

Cassiebsg

Sorry, didn't meant to push so hard and throw you off the chair.  :~(

But happy yo hear you're making something.  (nod)

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Racoon

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 04/05/2020 16:46:59
Quote from: Racoon on Mon 04/05/2020 12:27:43
I would like to participate this month, but I am really short on ideas. Maybe inspiration will come to me today.
Maybe check out National Geographic? They tend to have some good historical articles.

Also, I have just so many leftover ideas that's just been lying there in the back of my mind like forever like;

Something set during the great migration era - it's just such a rich historical period that spawned both the basis for the king Arthur legend and the Nibelungenlied
A chapter in the life of Catalina de Erauso - a woman who escaped a nunnery in order to become a conquistador
A neanderthal needing to save a man's life using brain surgery - I'm not kidding, they've literally found skulls from the era with scars proving the neanderthals were capable of successful head surgery
A stage magician helping British army fool the Nazis - Once again, this was a real historical event!
A story about one of all the people in the army who weren't a soldier - Like a seamstress, cook, blacksmith or similar just trying to do their part to keep the army fed and equipped
A game about Shi Pei Pu - a Chinese opera singer turned spy who seduced a french embassy employee whilst disguised as a woman, and even convinced the man that he'd had a child with him
A game where you play as an Eohippus - they were pre-historic horses the size of a rabbit, need I say more?

Ok, I'll try and restrain myself from derailing the whole thread with just my ideas, but I hope this small sample might be of help to someone struggling with ideas.

Haha, I love you enthusiasm Blondbraid  :-D
I had an idea at the beginning of the month about a game in wich is explained how Caspar David Friedrich meet the mysterious man in the painting "Wanderer im Nebelmeer". But then came a phase of havng a lot to do and after a while I just knew I was not going to make it. So see you again at MAGS June  :-D I also look forward to all entries this month.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Racoon on Wed 27/05/2020 21:52:38
Haha, I love you enthusiasm Blondbraid  :-D
I had an idea at the beginning of the month about a game in wich is explained how Caspar David Friedrich meet the mysterious man in the painting "Wanderer im Nebelmeer". But then came a phase of havng a lot to do and after a while I just knew I was not going to make it. So see you again at MAGS June  :-D I also look forward to all entries this month.
Thanks!
If only making a MAGS entry was as easy as writing down a cool idea, but right now I've had a lot of other things on my mind and it currently looks like my entry will be rather short and not much real gameplay I'm afraid,
so right now my only real reason to submit it is to keep Slasher from winning by default.  :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk