Barn Runner: MAGS 2

Started by Ponch, Tue 31/03/2020 16:11:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

After several years of not finishing an AGS MAGS game, I am proud to somehow find myself presenting a finished product!

BARN RUNNER: PUCKER FACTOR

For those of you not familiar with the term, "pucker factor" is aviation slang for how scary something is. And for Dr. Noriko, her decision to pursue a younger man* while also trying (at great personal risk**) to recover an item she lost, that term can be read in more than one way.

My first completed Barn Runner game since 2012, this is part of the larger Barn Runner series that has been ongoing since late 2003. For the continuity hungry among you, it takes place a couple of months before The Forever Friday, part 1.

Part flight sim, part dating sim, Pucker Factor will hopefully entertain you through these long days locked inside our apartments.

Download and enjoy! (and vote!)

http://www.barnrunner.com/games/BR_MAGS_2.zip

MOAR SCREENSHOTS!!1!
Arcade-y Action!

Talky Action!

Thanks to kconan for play testing and spell checking!  :smiley:

A larger version of the game will be posted after MAGS is over (and I've finished the new art).

lorenzo

A new game by Ponch and it's a Barn Runner one? Is it Christmas already?!
I don't know if I should play it now or wait for the expanded version. Or both?

Ponch

Quote from: lorenzo on Tue 31/03/2020 19:11:09
A new game by Ponch and it's a Barn Runner one? Is it Christmas already?!
I don't know if I should play it now or wait for the expanded version. Or both?
I know, right? It's been a while!  :=

If I were you, I'd play this version (and then vote for it  :wink: ) and then dive into the much more deluxe edition a few weeks from now before we're all allowed to go back outside again.

lorenzo

After a terrible internal struggle on whether to play the game or wait that lasted at least one minute, I decided to play it.

Graphics are lovely (I loved the small animations during the conversations), dialogues are fantastic as usual -- they're always the highlight of Barn Runner games. As I love the world and the characters, it's great to be able to play a new title in the series! :cheesy:

I didn't have much trouble filling the heart-o-meter (must be because of my natural charm...), but I like the mechanic and it certainly adds re-playability.
The arcade parts are fun and aren't difficult to beat.

The biggest problem I have with the game is that...
Spoiler
THE CLIFFHANGER IS KILLING ME!!!
And I had the heart-o-meter full when the game ended! :~( That was... well, heart-breaking.
[close]

Anyway, can't wait for the finished the game! :cheesy:

Ponch

The important thing is that you tried to resist temptation.  :=

Thanks for the nice mini-review, Lorenzo. It was a lot of fun making a new game. I'm already hard at work at the full version of the game. Originally, I had planned to do only two more arcade sequences and one puzzle, then I would consider the game done. However, I've hand tons of free time on my hands this week and it looks like next week will be more sitting around, looking for something to do. So I've already added the previously mentioned three things to the game, and now I'm adding at least two more arcade sequences, an inventory puzzle, and possibly another dialog sequence. Who knows, it might turn into a full-sized game at this rate. It already has a secret ending, depending on how well you did on the arcade sequences and how well you filled up the heart-o-meter. Since you're a charming guy, I'm sure you won't have any problem with the latter one.

Thanks again for the nice feedback. After so long away from the world of AGS, I wasn't sure if my style of gaming/storytelling was still a good fit for the new young people around here these days.  :cool:

LUniqueDan

Holy mad cow in confinement Batman, it's Ponch !  I'm so going to try the sh** of of this.
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

kconan

I had a blast playtesting this!  Seamlessly moves between arcadey, puzzle-em-up, and hilarious dating sim.  It was the most fun I've had filling up a heart-o-meter since my days as a single guy.

Ponch

Quote from: LUniqueDan on Sat 04/04/2020 15:45:22
Holy mad cow in confinement Batman, it's Ponch !  I'm so going to try the sh** of of this.
Be sure to vote the sh** out of the game (of your choice) too!  :wink:

Quote from: kconan on Sat 04/04/2020 21:23:25
  I had a blast playtesting this!  Seamlessly moves between arcadey, puzzle-em-up, and hilarious dating sim.  It was the most fun I've had filling up a heart-o-meter since my days as a single guy.
Filling the heart-o-meter is a lifelong pursuit, dude. You never know when something you say or do will cost you points. You can never relax!  :shocked:

Frodo

A new Barn Runner game?  Brilliant!    :grin:

I'm downloading it now.  Will play it tomorrow, after I've had some sleep.   :cheesy: :cheesy:

Ponch

Thanks, Frodo. Glad to see you around the forums again. I assume you went on a holiday after all those long hours you spent working on your last game?  :cheesy:

Frodo

Hehe, thanks Ponch.  It's good to be back.   :grin:

I had a great time playing this.  I've gone through it a few times, trying out different dialogue options for the Heart-O-Meter.  Lovely mechanic.   :cheesy:
And the arcadey bits weren't too hard, which is good for me since I'm not very good at arcade games.   :cool:

But the cliffhanger... I NEED the full game!   :grin:

Creamy

QuoteAnd the arcadey bits weren't too hard, which is good for me since I'm not very good at arcade games.   
True. I remember some hard top-down sections in a previous game so I was anticipating them nervously.
But this time it went well :-D

Ponch

Quote from: Creamy on Sat 11/04/2020 09:37:14
QuoteAnd the arcadey bits weren't too hard, which is good for me since I'm not very good at arcade games.   
True. I remember some hard top-down sections in a previous game so I was anticipating them nervously.
But this time it went well :-D
I have refined that old arcade code quite a bit. It's not quite a touchy as it used to be. (Plus I didn't have enough time to make life miserable for properly challenge the player.  :cool:

Intense Degree

Holy Moley! I turn up randomly after years and am greeted straight away with a new Barn Runner game... Excellent.

I thoroughly enjoyed giving this a run through, brilliant to be back in the world of Prick Peckard, but slightly sad the great man wasn't there himself.

Good variety of gameplay too. I liked the mazey bit, was slightly confused and scared by the dating sim and found - to my surprise - the driving part wasn't far too hard for me.

Keep the games coming Mr Cow!

Ponch

Hello again, Mr. Degree. Long time no see.  :cheesy:

Glad you liked the game. The full version should be out in about two weeks (playtester reports permitting, of course). There will be quite a bit of new content, and a proper ending, so I hope you'll come back and give it a spin.

Don't be a stranger to these forums. I'm probably going to need music for one of my games again, you know.  :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk