Background Blitz - Hidden Room (CLOSED)

Started by ildu, Mon 04/05/2020 18:05:28

Previous topic - Next topic

ildu

Have you ever had a feeling that there's some ominous space lurking behind that suspicious wall, perhaps accessible through a camouflaged door, a trapdoor, an ancient mechanism, a fake bookcase or a poster plastered on the wall. Well, you've just entered that hidden room.

What do you see? How did you gain entry? Why is it hidden?

Judging criteria:

Concept - Is the idea novel and intriguing?
Playability - Would it work?
Artistic merit - Is it visually impressive?

Let's accept entries until Sunday May 24th, followed by a week of voting until Sunday May 31st. Good luck!

And so we have our entries :D!

jwalt

TGames

kaizen101

Jack

Cassiebsg

Cassiebsg

I'm working on an entry. 
Don't let me forget it.  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

jwalt

Can't take a lot of credit for this, since the main theme, the toilet, is from a really funny image I bumbled into during a Google Search.

An animated gif.

The shower curtain, fwiw, was something I tried initially, for this Blitz. Didn't like it all that well, but this was a chance to salvage it.  ;-)

Modeled and rendered in Anim8or.

Edit: I snagged another image for the shower curtain. I don't own the artwork on the curtain, so this isn't an entry. Just passing along cause I liked the effect.

Spoiler

Amazon lists the curtain, for them that's interested.

[close]

TGames

Here's my entry:

Imagine that an archeologist or a pirate finally uncovers the secret cavern containing what they've been seeking.

[imgzoom]https://tgamespics.webs.com/BG%20Blits%20Hidden%20Rooms.png[/imgzoom]

Jack

Sad to hear of the passing of Earthworm Jim and the use of his corpse as a rope. ;)

Nice background. Reminds me of Permanent Daylight.

ildu

Great job so far :). We have roughly five days until the deadline, so if anyone is working on a piece, get crackin'! Would love to get more entries.

Cassiebsg

I'm still working on it, just adding details, but doing very little at a time. :-[
But no matter what, unless my HD dies, the world ends, or something in those lines, I'll upload an entry.

ildu

Oh how the time flies! Our deadline is already tomorrow. Finish your pieces and post them up. If you need an extension to the deadline, let me know :).

Cassiebsg

It will have less detail than I wanted, but oh well, when I only put like half an hour daily, that's the end result.   (wtf)
So I just need to fix the ceiling lighting and then set the light levels, as it's currently a bit too dark.

blur

Jack, this looks like an accident about to happen with all the toilet paper, alcohol distillery and open flames! :shocked:

Cassiebsg

Less detail than I wanted, but oh well... at least I post something this time around.  :)

Using Blender 2.82 and Cycles... still don't like Eevee  (roll)

Jack

Very nice.

But so dark, and I'm not talking about the lighting. :)

Eevee a shit. But I've seen people accomplish miracles with it. Just don't know how.

ildu

Okay! Thanks for all the great entries. Good job everyone :)!

We will now commence with voting, which will sustain until Sunday May 31st. Please make your judgements using the criteria listed below. Tell the artists what you like and why - I'm sure they'd like to hear what y'all think.

Judging criteria:

Concept - Is the idea novel and intriguing?
Playability - Would it work?
Artistic merit - Is it visually impressive?

Cassiebsg

Concept - Jack (I like the idea of a just a hidden room).
Playability - kaizen101 (that's one cold hidden room... and the salad got the dressing.  (laugh))
Artistic merit - Jack (but those broken bricks need some extra work to be convincing... and just love the TP... very on topic)  (laugh)

@jwalt: Cool, love the idea, though the curtain images "ruin" the effect IMHO. But funny.  (laugh)

@TGames: Simple and effective. Though maybe some more darkness around the inside and edges of the hole would provide more depth and emphasize the chest and the bright light coming from the hole. In other others, missing a bit drama.  ;)

Jack

I'm voting Cassiebsg x3.

It reminds me of S.T.A.L.K.E.R (so does my entry), and I just love that lamp and its shadows on the top.

ildu

Let's extend the voting for a bit so we can get some more input. Voting ends on Friday June 5th!

blur

It's after the voting deadline, so these votes should not count and are for informal purpose only.
Concept: kaizen101 - The idea of presenting the in-freezer-scene looks refreshingly novel to me.
Playability: TGames - There's a treasure chest and a rope, both good plot devices in adventure games.
Artistic merit: TGames - It is not rendered nor a vector painting, so it must be the best of the entries.

ildu

Well, it would've been nice to get more votes, but I guess this has to end at some point. Congrats to the winner, Cassiebsg! Feel free to take on the next BlitZ :).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk