A redesign of the AGS site is being planned! Please check out the mockups and give your feedback.

Two factor authentication (via app or email) is now available for the forums. You can enable it on your profile.

Author Topic: C or Lua IDEs as convenient as AGS? (Rant)  (Read 620 times)

C or Lua IDEs as convenient as AGS? (Rant)
« on: 12 May 2020, 18:22 »
AGS Editor:
-Can be used from a USB stick without installing anything to the hard drive
-Compiler built-in
-It's a .exe so you don't need to already have a compiler to compile the IDE and compiler
-Every version's system requirements are clearly listed
-Help files included

Other IDEs:
-Install things on the hard drive even if you select a USB stick as the target directory.
-Don't include compilers, so you have to go find a compatible one.
-Source code only. Being able to edit it is cool,  but there's a catch-22 of needing another program to actually use it, which of course is also source code only. An endless cycle!
-Who cares about system requirements? Just stop being poor!
-Help files require an internet connection. You can't include an extra 5 Mb, not even on the side? (Or they're included, but in Chinese)

Rant over.
Tl:dr, what are some good C++ IDEs or Lua IDEs which I can run from a USB stick on my old Windows XP PC, and which come in .exe form?

Re: C or Lua IDEs as convenient as AGS? (Rant)
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2020, 18:51 »
For C  , CodeBlocks is one that comes to mind: https://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/files/Binaries/
I have 13.12 installed on my virtual XP machine, tried the portable latest version (20) but that apparently requires a 64bit Windows.
There's a version with compiler and without installer, should be exactly what you need.

Edit: https://sourceforge.net/projects/codeblocks/files/Binaries/17.12/Windows/codeblocks-17.12mingw-nosetup.zip/download
worked fine for me on XP
« Last Edit: 12 May 2020, 18:56 by Khris »
Fail at Floaty Rog' now!  still having to deal with what games are going through

eri0o

Re: C or Lua IDEs as convenient as AGS? (Rant)
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2020, 22:23 »
What are you using LUA with ?

Also... Why Windows XP? Can you give the PC specs?