Deleting Photobucket links

Started by jwalt, Thu 14/05/2020 17:06:33

Previous topic - Next topic

jwalt

Not sure this is where my issue belongs, but it can be moved if the Moderator so chooses.

When Photobucket decided to ransom third party hosting, they took the wind out of my sails. I became pretty inactive for a while, but returned, using Imgur. Got a nastygram from Photobucket, today, saying that they had detected I was still using third party hosting. I'd deleted all the images I had on Photobucket, so the only linking is being done by Photobucket to their "nag screen." I made an attempt to remove all the Photobucket links, but promptly ran into issues where forum members had copied my links , and, it appears, I can't delete linked links. Same thing may apply to quotes from posts I've made, since I can't seem to delete some of them, either. I'm guessing at this, but it seems logical.

Any easy way to do this?

I did not move my images from Photobucket to Imgur, so they are gone. My problem is not unique, I'm guessing, based on what I'm seeing on old forum posts.

Cassiebsg

They the ones that changes the rules, so let them delete the account.
I also used Photobucket, if they don't want us to link to old files, then they can just delete my account. I won't lift a finger, since I can't go back and find all the places I posted an image link and edit it.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Snarky

What a ****ing piece of **** company. Just utter scum.

Since they don't hold your pictures any longer, I would just report their email as spam and block them.

Stupot

If they can detect that then they should be able to give you a list of all the addresses where your pictures are being linked.

I’ve also got a few on here and elsewhere. I’ll have to scour my old Hotmail account for emails in the sea of spam.

I only found one email from 2017 saying that they are aware I’m using 3rd party hosting. No threats or anything. But I decided to log in and it’s all crap. A real mess. The only stuff worth saving is my Fuji Rock photos (which I surely have on a hard drive somewhere but wouldn’t hurt to save them again).

When I can get a moment I’m going to sit and save the things I want then delete my account.

Gilbert

Reading this, I tried logging in my account and saw this:
Image Hosting Is Not Permitted
We have detected that you are hosting images using a free tier account in violation of our terms of use. You can either purchase an unlimited hosting plan or immediately stop hosting.
If no hosting is permitted WHAT ARE FREE ACCOUNTS FOR?

So I installed their awful mobile app (seems that there is no easy way to do this on the site unless you do this one by one), downloaded all my images and deleted all of them.
Then I uninstalled the app.
THE END (I hope)

Cassiebsg

I haven't used the account since they started that crap, an sure as hell am not going to login now. 
Other sites just delete your account if you haven't login in x time, and send a warning saying the account will be deleted if you don't login in the next 15 days or so... But they don't delete the account, cause they hope to make you pay for the account.

I have all my files on disk anyway. It just annoys me that all the old threads are now broken thanks to them.  >:(

AGA

I've run a query that should have replaced all inline usages of photobucket images (i.e. [img] and [imgzoom]) with just the URL.  Should remove this issue.

Stupot

Quote from: AGA on Fri 15/05/2020 21:00:51
I've run a query that should have replaced all inline usages of photobucket images (i.e. [img] and [imgzoom]) with just the URL.  Should remove this issue.
That’s a cool solution. Nice one.

Babar

Kind of weird that a company is too lazy to generate temporary image links (and thus unusable outside of their site if that is what they wish), so instead they hound you by email to stop it.
What happens if you just ignore them?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Cassiebsg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk