HTTP GET using AGS 3.5.0

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Mon 18/05/2020 18:02:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Hi,

I'm looking for the most up-to-date source code of the "AGS awards" game. But it seems that even though the sources have always been semi-public, they never got their own public repo? The most recent sources I can find are a zip file fro 2014 hosted on a dropbox by Snarky.

Does anyone have the most recent sources?
To be honest the only bit I'm interested is the TCP/IP part of it. There's a very, very old plugin available in the forums but I'm guessing that any kind of network-related piece of code in the Awards project is more up-to-date.
Alternatively, any solution to get an HTTP response from a server (from within an AGS game) is of some interest to me.

Snarky

The client is supposed to be open-source, and has a repo on Bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/agsa/ags-awards-source

However, because some of the assets are not open-source, and the creators have not given permission to include them in the release, I have to strip these out before I release it, and that is very tedious. Maybe I can get it done when we have a day off this Thursday.

Anyway, this is not relevant, because what you're looking for is the sockets plugin, agssock.dll. This was developed by Wyz. He was also supposed to open-source it, but seems to have forgotten. Bug him about it.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 18/05/2020 19:11:12
Anyway, this is not relevant, because what you're looking for is the sockets plugin, agssock.dll. This was developed by Wyz. He was also supposed to open-source it, but seems to have forgotten. Bug him about it.

Yes, don't bother releasing the client.
I have the DLL now, and I don't even really need its sources, I'll just use it as-is.

Monsieur OUXX

Please note : While testing sending and receiving HTTP from AGS, I've noticed that this plugin ( AGS sockets, aka "ags_sock.dll" ) is more stable than the plugin used in the AGS awards ( Sockets for AGS, aka "agssock.dll" ).

- Sockets for AGS works well with IRC messages but it freezes when trying to poll ( server.Recv() ) the response from google.com or some other websites. I suspect an internal issue with some C buffer being too small or something like that.
- I've had no issue getting the response from an HTTP GET using AGS sockets, in an AGS 3.5.0 game.

EDIT: I might be wrong. Still researching it.

Wyz

Not forgotten, but there are still a couple of todos left on the road map I need to sort out. The problem is, I have not seen much interest in the plugin the past while; I need active use and folks willing to test and help me write documentation to have a proper release.

That said; it should handle HTTP fairly easily; I know folks have done it before using my plugin. Don't worry about the buffers, they are quite spacious; in fact, they can fit an entire IPv4 packet 8-0.

Let me know if you need anything :)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

eri0o

I love writing long READMEs Wyz :P

Cassiebsg

Actually, I'm interested in this plugin as well, as every year around the awards time (for some odd reason), I get this idea to make a multiplayer adventure game... been waiting for the release of the awards code to see how it was done... but wasn't aware of thatthe code was hosted there.  :-[ I have now downloaded it and will look into it when I have some time... maybe during summer vacation, since I'll be home anyway.  ;-D

PS- nice to see you still around Wyz.  :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Wyz

Hah, yes I'm still around, although mostly lurking these days.  ;)

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 22/05/2020 01:39:59
I love writing long READMEs Wyz :P

Hah, very nice! I'll drop you a PM ;)

Ok let's do this then! I'll work out the last few kinks and let's see if we can get this properly released. I had a look at the state today; looks like implementing is done, just needs more tests. After that, documentation and a manual; hmm and a sample AGS project would also be nice.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk