Cursors

Started by MokoDraws, Thu 21/05/2020 14:46:24

Previous topic - Next topic

MokoDraws

Hello, I'm starting a game in 1920x1200 resolution and I want to make my own cursors and Coin GUI icons. But, what size should they ideally be?

Cassiebsg

Open your BG and character in Photoshop, then create, in a new layer, the cursors and coin how you think it looks good...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Khris

Just wanted to mention that my desktop resolution is 1920 x 1080, standard FullHD, and that lots of people have less than that as their native screen resolution.
I don't know if AGS will scale down the game but I'd definitely reconsider that resolution choice.

If I wanted to make a highres game I'd pick 1280 x 720.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: MokoDraws on Thu 21/05/2020 14:46:24
Hello, I'm starting a game in 1920x1200 resolution and I want to make my own cursors and Coin GUI icons. But, what size should they ideally be?

There's no ideal size, it's all about trial and error and learning which interface style suits your game. As Cassiebsg suggested, experimenting with drawing on another layer and comparing cursor size with background is a good start.
If you're only starting a project though, I would perhaps recommend to just throw in some dummy gfx for GUI and postpone final images until last stages, as many things may change during development.

Quote from: Khris on Thu 21/05/2020 19:32:32
Just wanted to mention that my desktop resolution is 1920 x 1080, standard FullHD, and that lots of people have less than that as their native screen resolution.
I don't know if AGS will scale down the game but I'd definitely reconsider that resolution choice.

It will scale down, but unlike scaling up scaling down downgrades graphic quality.
Besides that, I have to honestly warn that AGS does not handle high resolution resources very well (both in editor and when running the game). Although there were attempts to create very hi-res games before, people often run in problems with them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk