Bug in Game.ChangeTranslation("") ?

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Sun 24/05/2020 11:07:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 26/05/2020 13:43:43
It knows the .exe but it doesn't know which .cfg and which .tra to use. Or at least I thought so.

I can't understand what do you mean. How would it work if it did not know which cfg to use... and what are options to choose from if there can be only one acsetup.cfg in game folder?... maybe we are talking about different things here, but I am very much confused.

It does not distinct tra files mostly because no one thought about doing this. That's an oversight that has to be corrected.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 26/05/2020 13:51:47
Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 26/05/2020 13:43:43
It knows the .exe but it doesn't know which .cfg and which .tra to use. Or at least I thought so.

I can't understand what do you mean. How would it work if it did not know which cfg to use...

Well I thought it took acsetup.cfg no matter what. Which means that two games in the same folder would share the same config file. I'm realizing it's not a big issue because if one of those two games is a .ags then there's only one .exe, which means we need only one .cfg.
Yeah the real issue really only lies in listing all the .tra for both games in winsetup.

Cassiebsg

Oh, I wasn't actually passing the "english" to Game B. I was passing it to the config setting, or whatever flags one has to run gameb.ags with to choose a language at run time.

Now I'm thinking in the case of Relic of the Viking in particular, that runs the old demo.
The old demo does have some translations available, but right now, as far as I know, there's no way to run that demo with the translation (is there one?).

Now if the player choose to play Relic in Italian, and then went and run the old demo, it would be nice to be able run it with the Italian translation, if available. That would be the expected result from the players side, and not be meet with the English Demo instead (and no way to change the language, as I don't recall the old demo having an option to change translation in game).
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 26/05/2020 19:09:29
The old demo does have some translations available, but right now, as far as I know, there's no way to run that demo with the translation (is there one?).
You haven't had an opportunity to see how it's implemented yet. I'd need to send you the latest sources. You pick the language of the "parent" game and the language f the "embedded" game inside of the games, on a special welcome screen. Which means, we work around the problems with winsetup.exe and the .cfg. The only issue was that we couldn't reset the language while jumping from one game to the other (because of the "bug" that CW has fixed here). Now it works like a charm.

Cassiebsg

Oh, but that means you had to change the old demo source and compile a new version... Of course that's always an option... except if you don't have the source anymore (or don't want to bother to change the old demo).  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

That would require a redesign of how running other games work, for example make each game actually read its own config when run from another, because they don't read config again with the current implementation.
One of the hypothetical possibilities that comes to mind is to pass a new Dictionary struct with config into RunAGSGame (rather than a single option).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk