Reviving my old game project: Some Sierra-style backgrounds, UI and character

Started by JLM_82, Fri 29/05/2020 18:36:17

Previous topic - Next topic

JLM_82

Hi,

I decided recently to revive my old AGS game project that I started many years ago - maybe it's now a right time to complete it finally!  :smiley:

The game is meant to be done in the spirit of the Sierra's classic adventures of the early 1990s - however in 640x400 -resolution.

Here are some backgrounds with UI and main character; obviously they need yet a lot of re-touching, but be free to comment.

Main character in the forest crossroads:

The same image with the icon bar visible (inventory-icon still waits to be done):

Main character in a house:

I'd also need some help with the main character's walking animation; if you're interested to help me with that (and I can even pay for help), kindly check this thread:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=58128.0

Reiter

I would say that it works quite well indeed. It is clear, classical and follow a certain style. It fits.

One question; how do the cursors look? How well do they connect to the icons in the top bar? How does the general GUI panels look? And, as an entirely cosmetic suggestions, you could consider adding a mouth behind the speech-bubble in the Talk icon in the top bar. To tie it closer to the body-eye-hand verb presentation.

I fear that I cannot help with the movement animations. I am no good at it, and I always dread doing views. Best of luck! It looks like a charming game, already!

Mandle

I have to admire anyone who goes back and completes a project from long ago.

I have so many incomplete games that haunt my mind, but I have never found the motivation to go back and finish them and put them to rest.

Massive kudos!

JLM_82

Hi,

Thanks for feedback! :smiley:

Actually I went back to the project mostly because of the COVID-19 pandemic in the last year. Suddenly I had a lot of extra time at my home, so I decided to review the old project that was started originally as early as 2003.

Now we have a small "development team", including a couple of friends and my father, and a few people at AGS forums are also offered their help with the graphics. So hopefull we'll really finish the project this time!

Regarding the UI and game's option panels, here are two new screenshots (of course, even they're still under construction). The game's original screenplay and the texts in the screenshots are written in Finnish, but in the final game there will be an English translation package available, of course.

Are you interested in helping with the graphics or sprite animations? Check this thread:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=58128.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk