Is this interface good enough?

Started by kaizen101, Mon 01/06/2020 16:32:29

Previous topic - Next topic

kaizen101

Hi! I just want to know what other would say if they are using this interface (disregard the BG):
The full GUI will not be visible including the picture above if player cast/defend/attack or use item.

Is this looks okay?
does it looks hard or easy enough, as I understand some player don't want to move mouse to much.
Thank you so much in advance!

Danvzare

It looks alright to me.
Then again, I play Dwarf Fortress, so I'm probably not the best judge for UI design.  (laugh)

blur

>Is this looks okay?
No.
Spoiler
I hate this graphic style. The sight of those arcs and splines makes me sick. It looks like a draughtsperson had a stab at doing artsy design or even worse: Those icons could be generated by a trained AI. This is indefinitely more abhorrent than ham-fisted dilettantes using Paint with a flaky mouse.
[close]
But this is my personal opinion. If you like this style, go for it!

>does it looks hard or easy enough [?]
Functionally it looks like the standard role playing game battle mode interface. So, yes it is easy enough.

kaizen101

Thank you so much for checking this UI,

Quote from: blur on Tue 02/06/2020 15:10:11
>Is this looks okay?
No.
Spoiler
I hate this graphic style. The sight of those arcs and splines makes me sick. It looks like a draughtsperson had a stab at doing artsy design or even worse: Those icons could be generated by a trained AI. This is indefinitely more abhorrent than ham-fisted dilettantes using Paint with a flaky mouse.
[close]
But this is my personal opinion. If you like this style, go for it!

>does it looks hard or easy enough [?]
Functionally it looks like the standard role playing game battle mode interface. So, yes it is easy enough.

Hahaha! I'm sorry about that, and thank you for being honest. Yes, I will go with this style, I'm making it as simple as possible, because once I have a working game I can just change it as much as I want.    Again, thank you!

Matti

Looks functional, though instead of selecting characters or enemies via a GUI I would prefer clicking directly on them.

kaizen101

Quote from: Matti on Thu 04/06/2020 11:14:22
Looks functional, though instead of selecting characters or enemies via a GUI I would prefer clicking directly on them.

Thank you so much for that, this one have that option as well(before) however since I make the GUI bigger It blocked the option to click the enemy directly. I think I have not removed that option (I dont remember removing it). I will keep that in mind that some player like clicking enemy directly. Thank you so much!

eri0o

Also the face of a character appears 3 times on the screen (of the same character). I think the two stats could appear floating at left of the characters and the menu could open at right from them - like in Mario RPG.

kaizen101

I see, so I over loaded the interface with similar image, i will keep that in my mind, I've been thinking about that image in the middle, so I will remove some part that is not really needed or give an option to select a diffferent UI.  I think I will go with the last one. Again thank you so much!  :-D

Monsieur OUXX

Unrelated to UI: Pick a better font. Better as in "more readable" and as in "more original".

Monsieur OUXX

The question of "should the action originate from a click on the enemy or a click on myself" is interesting. I've been asking myself the same question about the 9-verb interface versus verb coin interface.

Clicking on the target first and then choosing the action sounds wonderful from a UI perspective : It's more modern and requires less clicking. BUT then I realized that it's slightly less immersive because I want the click to symbolize an action initiating from my character, as a projection of myself. I want that click to mean "I want to attack and then see the repercussions of my choice", not the opposite.

kaizen101

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 08/06/2020 12:05:19
Unrelated to UI: Pick a better font. Better as in "more readable" and as in "more original".

Thank you, yes I will change the font type, I have downloaded free font and experimenting on how it will look like, even the design and character might change if I feel like I need to change it later on, since soon it will be on and off working on this, which will also give me a chance to judge my own design, right now I cannot judge it properly.... 

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 08/06/2020 13:02:32
The question of "should the action originate from a click on the enemy or a click on myself" is interesting. I've been asking myself the same question about the 9-verb interface versus verb coin interface.

Clicking on the target first and then choosing the action sounds wonderful from a UI perspective : It's more modern and requires less clicking. BUT then I realized that it's slightly less immersive because I want the click to symbolize an action initiating from my character, as a projection of myself. I want that click to mean "I want to attack and then see the repercussions of my choice", not the opposite.

On my first design, before I have change it to clicking enemy name, it was designed for the enemy to be clicked, however its after you selected your action (UI on character), Im not used on clicking monster before I can select what I need to do.

Moresco

I like it enough.  I'd be more worried about the game being fun.  I love the Dragon Quest series of the 80s+ and they've almost never had a good interface, but damn if that game isn't fun.

So my question is this.  Does the interface appear wherever you click, or always in the middle?  Because you have stuff appearing on the left/right of the fella's head, and if you click on the left of the screen, how do you keep this interface from being wonky? And if it's always there in the center, that would feel super odd to me.  But I guess I'd really like to see this interface in a gif or youtube clip showing how you intend it to flow.  I think that would help me understand it better. 

Cheers!
::: Mastodon :::

Danvzare

Quote from: Moresco on Mon 20/07/2020 09:45:12
I like it enough.  I'd be more worried about the game being fun.  I love the Dragon Quest series of the 80s+ and they've almost never had a good interface, but damn if that game isn't fun.
Having completed six Dragon Quest games last month, and having only just recently completed Dragon Quest VII yesterday (that was one heck of a long game), I concur.  (nod)

So my question is this.  Does the interface appear wherever you click, or always in the middle?
If it's a turn-based RPG, then won't the interface appear automatically? Meaning it can't appear wherever you click, because you don't click to make it appear.

InCreator

No. I hate this graphic style. The sight of those arcs and splines makes me sick. It looks like a draughtsperson had a stab at doing artsy design or even worse: Those icons could be generated by a trained AI. This is indefinitely more abhorrent than ham-fisted dilettantes using Paint with a flaky mouse.

I second that opinion. It looks super artificial. Of course, if you color it really well, it might look a lot better.

kaizen101

So my question is this.  Does the interface appear wherever you click, or always in the middle?

The interface will only show up when its your turn to attack, when attacking it will automatically disappear,  (nod)

Quote from: InCreator on Thu 30/07/2020 10:22:12
It looks super artificial. Of course, if you color it really well, it might look a lot better.

Thanks. Overtime, I will change the design, just got my job back so I will try to learn (pixel maybe) with the little time I have. I have'nt touch the engine for months already thinking about a story and design I can use (then I got my job back).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk