The Corruption Within

Started by CaptainD, Tue 02/06/2020 15:57:27

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Steam:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1395400

Itch:
https://cosmicvoid.itch.io/the-corruption-within

This one's a bit of a departure for me, working with the dev who made "Void Breach (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1204710/Void_Breach/)" on it.  Provisionally looking at releasing in Q2 of 2021.

The Corruption Within is a psychological thriller first-person point & click adventure game set in the Victorian era.  While there will certainly be puzzles, the emphasis will be on strong story-telling.   You have just enjoyed a camping holiday with your family when your wife and two young children go missing.  With no way to contact anyone you head towards the only source of civilisation for miles around - a grand old mansion by a lake.  You soon find yourself drawn into a bigger mystery while you desperately try to find your family…

We are planning to run a Kickstarter (or some other crowd fundraiser) and details of this will be posted when they are confirmed.

(Posting here because it will be made with Game Maker Studio 2 not AGS.)

Screenshots / images (not necessarily final):

Stupot

TheFrighter

So eerie! It reminds Shadow of the comet!

_

Kastchey

CaptainD making a psychological thriller? That is... unexpected :)
Looking forward to it, best of luck with the production!

CaptainD

Mandle

The staircase room reminds me of "Sammy's Quest" from the old AGS tutorial videos series!

lorenzo

Cool graphical style and the plot sounds very interesting!
Man, these Captain Disaster's adventures are getting stranger and stranger... ;)

Good luck with development!

Gord10

That looks quite interesting, looking forward to play it!
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Fitz

Ooh, what palette is this? I'm loving how soft and warm the hues are compared to my beloved, ghastly EGA ;)

CaptainD

Thanks everyone for your interest!

@Fitz - Aviv doesn't have an account here yet but he said the palette is based on the shades of 4 highly saturated colors, green, red, turquoise, and purple.

CaptainD

We're gathering some data in preparation of the Kickstarter campaign, if you're on Twitter and are potentially interested in backing the game please vote on this tweet:
https://twitter.com/IndieGameNews1/status/1272518282227200006

Thank you.

In the meantime here is a new bit of artwork:

CaptainD

We decided to start the Kickstarter a little earlier than originally planned, it's live now:

"The Corruption Within" Kickstarter

Frodo

The game looks fantastic.   :grin:

Saw the Kickstarter.  Sadly, you only mention steam, for some reason, which is a deal-breaker for many of us.   :sad:
Any plans for a DRM-free release?  Or will it be steam-DRM only?   

CaptainD

Hi Frodo - though I've already answered your question on the KS page itself I'll answer it here too.

I actually thought I'd said Steam and Itch, must have had a brainstorm!  We will send all backers a Steam key but if anyone would prefer an Itch key we will provide that.

(Ah I see... we mention Steam and Itch on the page, but the reward tier only mentions Steam.  I'll have a think about it and may change that, or just go with my answer above, but either way if anyone wants a DRM-free version that will be made available to them.)

Frodo

Good to know, thanks CaptainD.   :smiley:

I was confused, cos 'steam' is plastered all over the campaign page, rewards tiers, and pitch video.  But there's only one small mention of Itch, in the campaign page.  Itch is not even mentioned in the reward tiers.   :undecided:

CaptainD

Ah rats...can't edit the reward tier now... but at least you know  ;)

I've added this at the top of the main campaign page:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note - while the reward tier offers a Steam key specifically, if any backer would
prefer a DRM-free copy on Itch, that will be provided on request.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creamy

Nice backgrounds and intriguing setting.

The characters' bodies look a little bit funny.

DBoyWheeler

Dang!  Someone was skilled to make this Game Maker game LOOK like an AGS game in a sense.

With all this horror involved... where's Trilby when you need him?  (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk