Pictures of amazing foods

Started by milkanannan, Tue 16/06/2020 18:13:41

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Share a pic of a really cool food you'd recommend. If you feel like it, share some background on what it is, where it is from, etc.

Here's dahi puri. I won't pretend to be an expert on it, but it is a South Asian dish my wife and I tried out here. It is sort of a crunchy shell filled with diced onion, chick peas, mint, spices and yogurt (and some other stuff, perhaps a little magic too). You can get them made fresh in the supermarket here, but they're a bit off bounds at the moment (coronavirus ruins everything :~(). Fresh and spicy at the same time ~ amazing!

Blondbraid

Looks tasty!
Has anyone here tried slices of Knödel? German and Austrian AGSers might be more familiar with the ball-shaped versions with pork in them,
but there's also the Czech variant cooked in loaves and sliced like bread:

I know lots of people think boiled dough sounds unappetizing, but when done right it basically tastes like
freshly baked bread but capable of soaking up all delicious sauce on the plate without falling apart.

Laura Hunt

My go-to comfort food lately is jambalaya. It's a dish from Louisiana inspired by Spanish paella, and it's basically rice with chicken, shrimp and smoked sausage. The "creole" version uses tomatoes, while the "cajun" version that I make doesn't. Traditionally bell peppers are also used, but I'm not really fond of them, so I leave them out (which is why my version is not as colourful as others you'll see online).

My version uses:

- A whole onion, chopped and fried.
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- 1 chicken breast chopped into bite-sized bits seasoned with smoked paprika, oregano or thyme, and cayenne pepper or dried chili flakes.
- Handful of shrimp.
- 1 fresh sausage such as Italian salsiccia or saucisse de Toulouse.
- 1 splash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chopped green onions as garnish, if I happen to have any.

It's important to cook everything in the same skillet so that all flavours combine well. First the onion, then the garlic, chicken and sausage, then the rice, then the water, and lastly, when like half of the water has evaporated and there are like 10 minutes left, the shrimp (you can stick them in there while still frozen, as they'll cook in no time). It's also important to allow the dish to cool down and rest for 20 minutes or so, covering the skillet with a kitchen towel. The results are just amazing.

Snarky

Thanks for the recipe! I love jambalaya but have never made it. How many people does this serve?

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 17/06/2020 12:15:17
Thanks for the recipe! I love jambalaya but have never made it. How many people does this serve?

Oh sorry, should have pointed that out. This recipe is for 1 cup of rice (so, 2 cups of water) and serves 2 people with a good appetite or maybe 3 if you have another first- or side dish. I use a 28 cm skillet and everything fits juuuust perfectly :)

Edit: Also, I get the best results with Arborio rice, as the high starch content makes for a very creamy end texture. Rice varieties with less starch might result in a "drier" dish and might require an extra half cup of water.

milkanannan

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 17/06/2020 10:17:29
Looks tasty!
Has anyone here tried slices of Knödel? German and Austrian AGSers might be more familiar with the ball-shaped versions with pork in them,
but there's also the Czech variant cooked in loaves and sliced like bread:

I know lots of people think boiled dough sounds unappetizing, but when done right it basically tastes like
freshly baked bread but capable of soaking up all delicious sauce on the plate without falling apart.

Those look great! No, I hadn’t heard of it, but I’m not surprised ~ this whole thread could become an ‘amazing German food pic’ thread if we’re not careful. (laugh) My wife steams dough to make those Chinese ‘Mantou’ and other things, so I can picture in a roundabout way how boiled dough would taste.

How about Sweden? Any amazing foods you can post that use the salmon paste I keep seeing at IKEA? I need to know how this salmon paste stuff works!  (laugh)

milkanannan

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Wed 17/06/2020 11:41:30
My go-to comfort food lately is jambalaya. It's a dish from Louisiana inspired by Spanish paella, and it's basically rice with chicken, shrimp and smoked sausage. The "creole" version uses tomatoes, while the "cajun" version that I make doesn't. Traditionally bell peppers are also used, but I'm not really fond of them, so I leave them out (which is why my version is not as colourful as others you'll see online).

My version uses:

- A whole onion, chopped and fried.
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- 1 chicken breast chopped into bite-sized bits seasoned with smoked paprika, oregano or thyme, and cayenne pepper or dried chili flakes.
- Handful of shrimp.
- 1 fresh sausage such as Italian salsiccia or saucisse de Toulouse.
- 1 splash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chopped green onions as garnish, if I happen to have any.
It's important to cook everything in the same skillet so that all flavours combine well. First the onion, then the garlic, chicken and sausage, then the rice, then the water, and lastly, when like half of the water has evaporated and there are like 10 minutes left, the shrimp (you can stick them in there while still frozen, as they'll cook in no time). It's also important to allow the dish to cool down and rest for 20 minutes or so, covering the skillet with a kitchen towel. The results are just amazing.

Totally trying this version ~ thanks for sharing the recipe. I can’t remember the last time I had jambalaya. We had paella ages ago at a Spanish restaurant here, which I think was 100% seafood (was really good!)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: milkanannan on Wed 17/06/2020 13:33:18
Totally trying this version ~ thanks for sharing the recipe. I can’t remember the last time I had jambalaya. We had paella ages ago at a Spanish restaurant here, which I think was 100% seafood (was really good!)

Cool! Let me know how you liked it if you make it :) btw, dahi puri looks amazing. I don't think it's possible to find it around these parts, but I'll be looking out for it!

milkanannan

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Wed 17/06/2020 13:47:21
Quote from: milkanannan on Wed 17/06/2020 13:33:18

Cool! Let me know how you liked it if you make it :) btw, dahi puri looks amazing. I don't think it's possible to find it around these parts, but I'll be looking out for it!

I am 100% sure we’ll have this in the roster in the next few days. :-D Ingredients are pretty easy to get, so it’s nice to try something new.

Dahi puri is probably more available than it may at first seem. Any Indian grocer would have the shells and spices (those parts are sold in a kit). You can sort of expect a mess, but it’s worth it!

Blondbraid

Quote from: milkanannan on Wed 17/06/2020 13:26:53
Those look great! No, I hadn’t heard of it, but I’m not surprised ~ this whole thread could become an ‘amazing German food pic’ thread if we’re not careful. (laugh) My wife steams dough to make those Chinese ‘Mantou’ and other things, so I can picture in a roundabout way how boiled dough would taste.

How about Sweden? Any amazing foods you can post that use the salmon paste I keep seeing at IKEA? I need to know how this salmon paste stuff works!  (laugh)
Yeah, I think I gained a few kilos last time I was in Austria!

Though for Swedish food, I'm not sure what salmon paste you are referring to, I've always had difficulties eating fish and try to avoid it, but most times people in Sweden eat Salmon, it's in filés or similar, and I'm not sure what to do with salmon paste.

As for the rest of the Swedish kitchen, I'm afraid it's not terribly interesting, as until the last few decades spices and imported food was rare and hard to come by, so most tend to be simple dishes mainly based on plain meat and potatoes. One typical traditional dish for example would just be roasted pork chops with peas and boiled potatoes with some brown sauce made from cream and the grease left in the frying pan after cooking the meat in it. Personally, I think the best Swedish cuisine has to offer is Kebabpizza, which came to after immigrants from the Balkans in the 90s who worked in fast food places came up with the idea to add kebab meat and the accompanying sauce onto pizzas, and this was the result:

It's a real treat if you're looking for a spicier pizza, though I've no idea what Italians think of this addition.

Stupot

Oh man. Munchies in Newcastle Upon Tyne does a magic kebab pizza which I strongly believe was linked to the chest pains I suffered from in uni.

milkanannan

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 17/06/2020 23:28:01

Though for Swedish food, I'm not sure what salmon paste you are referring to...

Is this some prank Sweden is playing on the rest of us? (laugh) "Hey let's get foreigners to eat mashed fish out of a tube!" IKEA Dubai is loaded with different varieties of these. Comes in crab flavour, too!

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 17/06/2020 23:28:01

As for the rest of the Swedish kitchen, I'm afraid it's not terribly interesting, as until the last few decades spices and imported food was rare and hard to come by, so most tend to be simple dishes mainly based on plain meat and potatoes. One typical traditional dish for example would just be roasted pork chops with peas and boiled potatoes with some brown sauce made from cream and the grease left in the frying pan after cooking the meat in it. Personally, I think the best Swedish cuisine has to offer is Kebabpizza, which came to after immigrants from the Balkans in the 90s who worked in fast food places came up with the idea to add kebab meat and the accompanying sauce onto pizzas, and this was the result:

It's a real treat if you're looking for a spicier pizza, though I've no idea what Italians think of this addition.

Awesome ~ yeah kebab and pizza sound like a natural fit; I bet that's good. It seems most cultures have improvised with pizza in one way or another. My friend in China runs a little pub and they do Peking duck pizza and pig face pizza (I know I know, but if you try it it's actually really good!) Here in the Gulf you can order pizza with laban (thick Arab yogurt-y spread) and honey, which is really amazing:

Cassiebsg

I think you just spread that paste on bread and eat it. Maybe with toppings (like tomato, lettuce, etc) that you like.

Something like this (very popular in Denmark):

(not my cup of tee, but I'm weird when it comes to food.  (laugh) )
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

You can keep all your fancy stuff. This hit's the spot every time  (laugh)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 18/06/2020 17:51:18
Something like this (very popular in Denmark):

(not my cup of tee, but I'm weird when it comes to food.  (laugh) )

Yeah this kind of breakfast/brunch is very popular in Berlin too and I'm just not a fan either. And always cucumber everywhere, ugh. I'd even take Slasher's artery-clogging monstruosity over that any day :-D

(For me nothing beats a flaky, buttery, freshly baked croissant and a cup of coffee, though.)

Cassiebsg

Actually that's not breakfast but lunch.  ;) And it's normal "fancy" food that you might expect to find at business/firm giviing you lunch.  :-\
Whenever I'm invited to "lunch" or "lunch included" or something like that, I still take my lunch with me... rather have a backup than starve the remaining part of the day.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 18/06/2020 18:15:39
And people say that Britain doesn't have any decent cuisine.  :-D

milkanannan

+1 need this in my life from time to time. Totally forget about blood sausage. Should pick some up sometime.

I always found the tomato a bit funny though - I mean, cmon who are we fooling. There’s nothing healthy about what’s going on here. (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: milkanannan on Thu 18/06/2020 19:21:45

+1 need this in my life from time to time. Totally forget about blood sausage. Should pick some up sometime.

I always found the tomato a bit funny though - I mean, cmon who are we fooling. There’s nothing healthy about what’s going on here. (laugh)
The blood sausage reminds me of another Swedish dish, blodpudding, which I'd say is similar, but served in big slices with lingon-jam on it.
It's not that great, but it's alright if you put enough jam on it.

Stupot

Cooooor. This is what I miss most from UK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk