Pictures of amazing foods

Started by milkanannan, Tue 16/06/2020 18:13:41

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

I like seafood, eg kalamari:

Although the tastiest fish is swordfish.

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Cassiebsg

Wow, I'm finally agreeing with you for once... "the tastiest fish is swordfish." that it is, that it is!  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Snarky

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Wed 17/06/2020 11:41:30
My go-to comfort food lately is jambalaya.

Hey Laura, I just made this for dinner. The whole family agrees it was great!
(I doubled the amount of garlic, on general principle.)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 26/07/2020 18:30:16
Hey Laura, I just made this for dinner. The whole family agrees it was great!
(I doubled the amount of garlic, on general principle.)

Always a wise thing to do :) Glad you liked it!

Laura Hunt

I made saltimbocca alla romana today for lunch. Like so many Italian dishes, quick, simple and absolutely plate-licking delicious. Some spinach on the side, sautéed in the leftover drippings from the meat, the butter and the wine, was the perfect accompaniment. The recipe actually asks for sage, but since I didn't have any at home, I used bay leaves instead.

(Apologies for the decidedly un-artistic picture, this gets cold really quick because the escalopes are really thin, so I wasn't really thinking of getting the most instagrammable angles :-D)

Anybody cooking anything interesting these days? Any new experiments or tried-and-true classics?

lorenzo

I love saltimbocca alla romana!
Did the bay leaves work as a substitute? They have quite a different taste from sage.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: lorenzo on Tue 25/08/2020 13:19:46
I love saltimbocca alla romana!
Did the bay leaves work as a substitute? They have quite a different taste from sage.

Yes, very different indeed! But since dry bay leaves need to simmer for a while in order to fully release their flavour and this recipe cooks so fast, their contribution here was really subtle, mostly for the nice aroma ;-D

(Also, it's SUPER hard to find fresh sage around these parts for some reason, so I'm glad I have an alternative at least!)

Reiter

Quote from: milkanannan on Thu 18/06/2020 05:14:54
Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 17/06/2020 23:28:01

Though for Swedish food, I'm not sure what salmon paste you are referring to...

Is this some prank Sweden is playing on the rest of us? (laugh) "Hey let's get foreigners to eat mashed fish out of a tube!" IKEA Dubai is loaded with different varieties of these. Comes in crab flavour, too!

Tubed salmon..? Tubed CRAB?! No, o Lord, no! Impossible! What cold, deranged heart thought of this?!

Where it not so utterly criminal, I would believe that it was a prank, too. I do not think that I have seen either of those horrors in any 'local' IKEA, although I doubt they would ever dare stock them here. The Swedish west takes sea-food quite seriously, and those things would be damned well heretical. Crab is lovely, but it must be fresh and served 'whole', as half of the fun lies in dismantling them. I feel for the poor crabs who had to suffer that final humiliation, crushed into that aliminium prison.
Perhaps it was intended for submariners or some sort of space program. At least, so I hope.

Look at it. Even the crab on the packaging looks miserable.

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 19/06/2020 11:18:32
Quote from: milkanannan on Thu 18/06/2020 19:21:45
Quote from: Slasher on Thu 18/06/2020 18:15:39
You can keep all your fancy stuff. This hit's the spot every time  (laugh)

+1 need this in my life from time to time. Totally forget about blood sausage. Should pick some up sometime.

I always found the tomato a bit funny though - I mean, cmon who are we fooling. There’s nothing healthy about what’s going on here. (laugh)
The blood sausage reminds me of another Swedish dish, blodpudding, which I'd say is similar, but served in big slices with lingon-jam on it.
It's not that great, but it's alright if you put enough jam on it.

Blodpudding is... Well, blood pudding. Quite like black pudding, if a bit sweeter. And it is lovely! A rather peculiar taste, but it is very filling. An under-appreciated dish, all together.

Meanwhile, August is an excellent month for food, for it is also crayfish season!

Spoiler
[close]

Lovely! What noble creatures. You boil them, chiefly with dill, and then eat them with bread and cheese, preferably outdoors, if the weather allows. They are a delight to pick apart! Best served with a very generous amount of spiced vodka.

Paper lanterns and funny hats are not obligatory, in order to enjoy crayfish, but they come warmly recommended.
Spoiler

[close]

Crayfish are available in salt and freshwater varieties. Equal in deliciousness to none but each other.

milkanannan

Oh man I love me some crayfish! Those look amazing! :smiley:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk