Sophia McGrath and the Strange Invitation (My first completed game!)

Started by Dannymac247, Mon 22/06/2020 16:16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannymac247

Hey there everyone! Over the last few years I've stuck my head out onto this board from time to time to ask random questions, but after all of that work and patience (as well as copious amounts of procrastination) I am finally ready to announce my new creation, "Sophia McGrath and the Strange Invitation"!

Set in the Harry Potter Universe, you play as eleven year old Hogwarts student Sophia McGrath who has been kidnapped and placed in a cell, where she will need to use her wits and 11 year old grasp of magic to escape.

I'm glad to finally get this out there... as you can probably tell by the fact that it was made in AGS 2.72, I've been working on this for a LONG time. Good to finally finish one of these projects, though, so I hope you'll enjoy!

https://dannymac247.itch.io/sophia-mcgrath-and-the-strange-invitation

Slasher

The Download files should all be inside one zipped file instead of all separate files and would make it easier to Download..

2 screenshots here is normally required...

You need to have cursor inventory images....

Dannymac247

Changed up the file, still trying to figure out how to get the images to appear in the post... the code keeps vanishing.

Is the thing about cursor images an actual requirement, or just a preference?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dannymac247 on Mon 22/06/2020 17:31:16

There's no such requirement for posting the game of course :). Game interface is a part of author's design. Maybe Slasher does not like when there are none.

Crimson Wizard

While I am here, I could also propose upgrading your game to modern version of AGS when you have spare time and feel like doing that.

I've seen recently someone upgraded their project from AGS 2.4 (he had to upgrade 2.4 -> 2.71 -> 3.5.0 because 3.* versions cannot load 2.4 projects properly).

Usually all it takes is adjusting compatibility settings. The benefit of this is that game compiled with contemporary AGS could be run in modern graphical modes and on more systems (Linux, etc).

Slasher

Your first Imgur image link is wrong..

Your second image:

This has now been done..

Dannymac247

Ok, I think I have the images sorted now, thanks for the help. Not really used to Imgur!

sthomannch

Nice little game, some surprises, love it.

Moved the questions to the hints thread

LimpingFish

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 22/06/2020 16:58:36
2 screenshots here is normally required...

You need to have cursor inventory images....

Quote from: Dannymac247 on Mon 22/06/2020 17:31:16

Just to clarify, the two screenshots and visible cursor rule is for the Games in Production board, and not the Completed Games Announcement board. :)

Nothing to see here!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Shadow1000

I played this game last night and I am very impressed. Double impressed by the fact that it's a first release.

The strongest point of the game is the puzzles. I am really happy that I was able to complete the game without any hints, despite the fact that I was stumped at certain points. Put differently: I found the puzzles to be really well designed and geared right at that spot where they are difficult enough to provide a good challenge, but not so difficult to be frustrating or impossible. This is one of the most difficult parts of designing a good game that will be really enjoyed by many.

Some details:
- Graphics are simple. but adequate. It would have been a nice touch to have a cursor icon match the inventory items so you know what you are using.
- I loved the creepy guy watching you and commenting. It put a certain pressure and comedy on the overall feel of the game. Nice touch!
- I don't know if anyone else will appreciate the detailed descriptions of areas of backgrounds but it really reminded me of the text-based game in the pre-graphic area "You have entered a clearing in the forest. The grass is soft and cool to the touch. You can hear the..." and so on. It must have taken extra work to come up with these descriptions but it really enhanced the experience.

My overall rating for the game is that especially for a first game, you really have something to be proud of. I look forward to your next release.

Cheers!

Dannymac247

sthomannch

Yes, it was fun and interesting. I agree with what Shadow said. Good game play, most important in a game. Well done.

negator2vc

Nice little adventure game with a good amount of puzzles!
I really like the comments from the portrait figure to your actions. Creepy  ;)
A couple of feedback:
- make the animation of the appearance of the portrait figure no blocking (I know its only a few seconds but he appears in most locations so..)
- make the player character move instantly to exit when you double click on it.

Also after I visited the lab the game don't wait for messages/dialogs anymore and clear them instantly.
After a reload of a save everything is back to normal but after a while (random) the same thing happens again.

Dannymac247

Thank you all for the feedback!

As to the issue of the game autoclicking through dialogue, I've never seen anything like it. May be an AGS issue, rather than a game issue, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Shadow1000

Quote from: negator2vc on Wed 24/06/2020 23:19:06

Also after I visited the lab the game don't wait for messages/dialogs anymore and clear them instantly.
After a reload of a save everything is back to normal but after a while (random) the same thing happens again.

I am not sure I understand this based on description but is it possible that you ALT + TABBED while playing, then came back to the game to trigger this?

arj0n

Quote from: Dannymac247 on Thu 25/06/2020 00:09:32
As to the issue of the game autoclicking through dialogue, I've never seen anything like it. May be an AGS issue, rather than a game issue, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 25/06/2020 01:05:15
is it possible that you ALT + TABBED while playing, then came back to the game to trigger this?
Confirmed it is alt-tab that triggers this isue.

---
@Dannymac247:
Use sandwitch on string: missing response

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: arj0n on Thu 25/06/2020 10:53:37
is it possible that you ALT + TABBED while playing, then came back to the game to trigger this?
Confirmed it is alt-tab that triggers this isue.

TAB key "stuck" in pressed state when you ALT + TAB is a well known AGS problem.
This game is made with AGS 2.72, try placing a 3.5.0 engine into game dir and run, and see if this still happening. IIRC there were at least couple of fix attempts done in the past.

negator2vc

Quote from: negator2vc on Wed 24/06/2020 23:19:06

I am not sure I understand this based on description but is it possible that you ALT + TABBED while playing, then came back to the game to trigger this?

Since I played the game in window mode, maybe I ALT+TABBED (since the problem has being confirmed by @arj0n).
Still a very minor issue of an nice game.

heltenjon

I thought this was just an escape the room game, but there was quite a bit more to it than that. Fun fan game in the Harry Potter world. Good puzzles that utilizes the HP lore. I'd be happy to see more of Sophia's story. Otherwise I agree with the comments above.

I especially liked the commenting portrait character and the magic puzzles. When voting, I put this as a medium sized game. I couldn't have completed this in 30 minutes, at least.  ;)

Room for improvement:
Spoiler
I don't expect this from a first game, and it didn't detract any for me, but there are some minor inconcistencies, like that the rat is still in the trap after the owl has taken it, some of the portrait dialogue doesn't quite fit after Sophia has progressed further, and you can still see the key in the rat hole after obtaining it. Actually removing all those things are a ton of work, but would make a world seem more "real".
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk